It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno fired as football coach at Penn State

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by butcherguy

Moraal obligations and etbics are subjective.

There is a chain of command for a reason.

Paterno is the scapegoat.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Indeed, they are subjective.

The subject here is the anal rape of a ten year old boy.
edit on 10-11-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
reply to post by Resinveins

That is ridiculous.
Joe Paterno did all he possibly could do. He told the authorities, what else do you want him to do, dress up like up police officer, cart the guy away himself and risk getting busted for falsely acting as an officer?

I mean honestly, have I been reading lies? Is it not true that Joe Paterno told police and his higher ups? Is this not actually fact and Joe Paterno was lying - or is there a credible dispute about this?

edit on 10-11-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

Technically, he could have performed a citizen's arrest, but he might have had the naive hope that the authorities would actually take action. That's why he says he wished he had done more.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

It wasnt his job? He covered for a child rapist! simple as that. just because he coaches a GAME doesnt put him in a different position than you or I. If i work at a store and an employee is RAPING CHILDREN should i only report it to managment or should i go to the cops.

Take your football blinders off for 2 seconds and look at this again.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Heaping the attention on Joe Paterno is the easiest way to keep the public's attention off of the PA District Attorney's office. They decided in 1998 not to pursue allegations against Sandusky. The DA went missing in 2005. While the media's and public's attention is on JoPa, the DA's office as well as other justice department players are scrambling to get things straight when the public finally has their eyes on them.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Not to mention that more victims are coming out. And more are expected.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Technically, he could have performed a citizen's arrest

Really? Even though he didn't witness anything? All he did was hear about it from the guy who said he witnessed something? Wow.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Varemia

Technically, he could have performed a citizen's arrest

Really? Even though he didn't witness anything? All he did was hear about it from the guy who said he witnessed something? Wow.

That's probably the main reason he didn't do more. Really, the witness should have taken more action, but I don't see anyone pissed at him.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
reply to post by yeahright

I get the seriousness of the crime but Joe Paterno is innocent. No charges have been filed. As far as you or I know, he did what he had to do by reporting this situation to his higher ups. If anything he should be commended for saying something about a supposed friend.

Joe P never turned a blind eye. He made a good call about a weird, disturbing situation and told who he had to.

Why didn't he intervene on the situation that he witnessed? Back to the basics of Moral Rectitude and protecting our youth. I've worked in a therapeutic with kids like this who have been abused by people they trust. The aftermath is not pleasant and neither are their stories.

We as responsible adults have a moral obligation to protect our youth at all costs. Period. No wiggle room and no way to rationalize out of the situation. Paterno failed the most basic test of moral rectitude.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

The "end line" for a lot of tricky situations involving serious accusations is often telling the authorities.
Normally, people are encouraged to tell the authorities and then step out of the way and let them do their job.
The authorities at that point come to you for questioning if they need to. Otherwise you are getting in the way.

If we really must satisfy our lust for revenge by naming other victims, lets start with the authorities that Joe Paterno told. They obviously did not do wht they had to do. Joe Paterno did what any upstanding citizen would do.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

Is it not true that Joe Paterno told police and his higher ups?

Paterno told his immediate supervisor, not the police according to the Grand Jury's findings.

He is not just some guy working a job. He IS the face of Penn State football.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Maybe I missed it here, but maybe 'JoPa' likes little boys too?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

You know, I usually put faith in the justice system and want people to have a fair trial. But, considering this case, from now on, if someone witnesses a child being raped, please just kill them on the spot. I hope if I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time and see such a disgusting crime happening, I'll be able to do the same.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

But if they didn't do anything, then he should of told the municiple police. Just because the campus police are cops, doesn't mean they know what to do. AND they work for the same entity that Joe did.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

That's probably the main reason he didn't do more. Really, the witness should have taken more action, but I don't see anyone pissed at him.
A lot of sports shows have been asking the question, ' Why didn't McCreary do more?'

Like bash Sandusky's skull in right then and there and take the kid to the authorities.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Yeah.

That is not even worth a response.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Salamandy

Is it not true that Joe Paterno told police and his higher ups?

Paterno told his immediate supervisor, not the police according to the Grand Jury's findings.

He is not just some guy working a job. He IS the face of Penn State football.

While telling his immediate supervisor should has been sufficient (had the supervisor done his job), I also read that Paterno told the campus ploice (who I learned act as PA State Police)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Why didn't he intervene on the situation that he witnessed? Back to the basics of Moral Rectitude and protecting our youth. I've worked in a therapeutic with kids like this who have been abused by people they trust. The aftermath is not pleasant and neither are their stories.

We as responsible adults have a moral obligation to protect our youth at all costs. Period. No wiggle room and no way to rationalize out of the situation. Paterno failed the most basic test of moral rectitude.

Paterno wasn't the one who witnessed it. He heard about it from another person, and he reported it to the athletic director and the university police, who have full authority as police under law. They didn't do anything about it, and Paterno had nothing more than the word of a witness who did nothing else to pursue the matter.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Child abuse isnt reported to the actual POLICE? That in itself is a felony. Jail for Joe is letting him off easy. Lock him up for endangering the welfare of a child at the very least. Why give him a pass for being a star sports figure? are you guys retarded?

Paterno did not endanger any child, Sandusky did at the PSU campus. Paterno reported it to his superiors and campus police to investigate and if need be, go to the police,which they failed to do.
Paterno is not a detective and it is not his job to investigate the accusations.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
Maybe I missed it here, but maybe 'JoPa' likes little boys too?

You have missed it, because it hasn't been mentioned..... YET.

Who knows what may be hidden, but there is NO EVIDENCE OF THAT. So we need to stick to what is backed up by evidence and shy away from conjecture when no one has even thought that of the man.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Yeah.

That is not even worth a response.

How could you respond to it.

Unless you think what Sandusky did was okay.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join