It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno fired as football coach at Penn State

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

We don't have the time to back up either of our arguments (at least I don't want to take the time to back mine up with numbers) so I'm going to leave it at this: Agree to disagree.
edit on 10-11-2011 by de Thor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If you read the Grand Jury Report it is not clear what McQueary actually told Paterno. This is very relevant. Until all the facts are revealed it is difficult to crucify him (Paterno). He is an old man (and was 9 years ago) who may not have been able to add 1 + 1 when told of what occured.

That being said......this has been an issue at PSU for 15 + years. The rumors have run rampant concerning Sandusky since then. All are GUILTY. Faculty.....Evecutives....Board of Regents...etc.... They ALL KNEW!!!! No one did anything. The point is all need to go......

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by Daughter2

Paterno had the moral obligation to report to police. Failure to report to police is a misdemeanor, so he also has the legal obligation.

If he was not charged with failure to report to police, that means he fulfilled his legal obligation of reporting to police . . . which would also mean the moral obligation has been fulfilled, since the action required is the same.

What else do you think he should have done?

Paterno's moral obligation extended far beyond reporting what he had been told to the administrator with jurisdiction over campus police. Paterno had a moral obligation to see to it that no more children were raped by his long-time friend and colleague.

As soon as it became clear to Paterno that nothing was going to be done about this, he had a moral obligation to pursue the situation further. His failure to do so makes him seem weak at best, culpable at worst.

As soon as Paterno realized that Sandusky was still associating with young boys, Paterno had a moral obligation to put a stop to it.

Charging Paterno with this moral obligation does not absolve others of a similar obligation. Paterno deserved to be fired, but he isn't the only one.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
okay, I was reading on my tablet while trying to fall asleep.

I may have to amend my views, as painful as it is to do so.

Paterno might be real implicit in this, and might be the only witness that can bring down the house of cards, which is why he has no charges yet (I know . . . conjecture. Bear with me).

We all know that rumor is that Sandusky was pimping out kids using the 2nd Mile foundation.

Look at this:

Madden went on to say that it’s likely Sandusky retired in exchange for covering up the scandal, and it wasn’t just Penn State that knew about his sexual assaults, but the entire college football community

Source

Wowzers. If that comes out as truth . . . wtf. I am speechless.

It would explain many things (why no schools picked up Sandusky in 1998, why the huge cover up, why the conspiracy over the death of the ex-DA, why the media focus on Paterno, etc.).

But it still does not explain why Paterno was the scapegoat or how a man that EVERYONE knew as a great moral compass would cover up something of this magnitude and severity.

I am seriously at a loss for words.
edit on 11/10/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Given: This is a conspiracy forum. But that rumor about Sandusky pimping children out to boosters is entirely unsubstantiated. Claiming that the whole of NCAA football knew about this is absolutely ridiculous-- there are over 100 teams in Division 1 alone.

I think it's amazing that people on this forum are printing the name of PSU boosters and calling for blood based on a RUMOR.
But like I said before, a good scandal in the media sales subscriptions and draws in the viewer.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by relpobre000

We will see.

I still think that it is unjust what was done to Paterno (considering the fact that McQueary still has his job, and Curley and Shulz are still affiliated with the school).

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The question of why Sandusky never coached anywhere else is a valid one.

He was WIDELY acknowledged as Paterno's eventual successor. Even back then there were people suggesting Joe retire in favor of Jerry.

And more than that.. he was highly regarded as a defensive coach throughout college football.

Then a sudden and strange retirement.

And not even a whisper of some other school trying to hire him.

Did everyone know? Certainly people lost interest him in a hurry.

Hopefully the full truth comes out.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I can not seem to escape this media fiasco.

Alleged Victims' Lawyer: Penn State Board Made Wrong Call By Firing Joe Paterno

But one opinion that may surprise is that of Harrisburg civil attorney Ben Andreozzi. He has been advising some of the alleged victims of former Penn State defensive coach Jerry Sandusky, but released a statement [Via Pennlive.com] that is certain to raise a few eyebrows:

"The board of trustees got it wrong. They should have consulted the victims before making a decision on Mr. Paterno...They should have considered these victims watch TV and are aware of the students' reaction and may not want to be associated with the downfall of Mr. Paterno. The school instead elected to do what it felt was in its own best interest at the time. Isn’t that what put the school in this position in the first place?"

www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201111/alleged-v ictims-lawyer-board-made-wrong-call-firing-paterno

I went back a few pages and noticed nobody mentioned this. I was going to make a thread on it but I am really getting tired of this soap opera...................I want to hear how the Rams are going to win this sunday

Even the victims love old Joe........

Nobody even thought of that

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Joe Pa did nothing illegal and reported it to his superiors. They failed to have it investigated.
I find it very hard to believe someone witnessed Sandusky in the act and was not stopped. It is not Paterno's job to take any action on his own based on one account of a student and sent it to the proper people. They failed to look into it.

This was just the excuse the board needed to replace Joe without the alumni getting into an uproar.

I'm afraid that I must respectfully disagree with you.
If I had direct or indirect knowledge of children being abused in any way, I would personally contact the authorities, not my employer. The fact that there was some degree of open knowledge about the allegations circulating while no one contacted the authorities is a complete moral, ethical, and legal failure of everyone who was in the loop of this tragedy. Yes, it's a tragedy. Chlidren were ( allegedly ) horribly abused and exploited beyond anything that any of us can ( or should ), imagine.
F*** a $50 million sports empire. F*** the careers of these snakes who tried to sweep this under the rug.
Anyone who knew about this and didn't report it should ( on a moral scale ) do time in prison, much less be fired.
Think about the damage to those kids and their families. I don't use the word 'shame' very often, but this situation is indeed SHAMEFUL.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
joe rogan is discussing this right now:

www.ustream.tv...

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
If this pimping rumor is true it is even more frightening.I mean that could ruin Penn State permanantly.
edit on 11-11-2011 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Ummmm....im sorry but do schools who are trying to recruit someone usually consult the press before making such a move? You have no way of knowing that no team went after this guy.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

Look at the age of the Coach... What most of you younger people don't realize is, people the coach's age "didn't talk about this kind of stuff." My husband, who is much older than I am, would have done EXACTLY what the Coach did, because he wouldn't have known what else to do! People who were born before WWII were INDOCTRINATED to not speak of this kind of thing... They were groomed, by both their parents and their churches, to "Let go, and Let God" do whatever God wanted to do about it. So, the Coach did what was required of him; he reported it, and by doing that, he'd fulfilled his obligation to what he knew to be his own responsibility. Now, did he ask his friend about the immoral act? I don't know... He might have. But if YOU were his friend, what would YOU have said...? You'd have denied it, even if you were guilty as sin. And Coach would have taken your word for it, as your friend and your boss.

People under 70, now, would perhaps have handled it a different way. But there are still a lot of people who would prefer to be blind rather than see.

I don't think Coach was compliant; I think he's too "Old School" to understand how the change in Laws, during his lifetime, could impact him in the future. Sports was his one true LOVE. As wrong as his decisions might have been, I think we have to realize that sometimes "ignorance of the Law" - regardless of what the statutes say - doesn't take into consideration the people and culture of past generations, and how the ways they were raised has the final impact on their lives.

I hate to see Coach go out like this. I think we, as the wiser, younger generation, should realize that when your one love of Sports, and your second love is WINNING and going out on top, you ask what you think you have the right to ask, and if you hear what you want to hear, who's to blame? You, or the LIAR/Child Molester?

I am sorry for all the young children who were abused, and I'm angry that someone with this much power could take unfair advantage of them and ruin their lives. But Coach wasn't the one who did that. Coach did what he thought was his responsibility, and then he left it alone. Should Coach be punished like this because the person to whom he reported the rumor didn't do his job? No, I don't think so. I think Coach should have been allowed to finish out the season, and then retire with the honors he EARNED.

This is unjust Justice.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
Joe Paterno was wrongfully let go. He is not guilty of any crime. He even alerted his higher ups when he witnessed something. People are so ridiculous with their need to get revenge on everybody else besides who is to blame - Jerry Sandusky.
Has anyone considered that person in Paternos situation at a later date may now turn the other cheek instead of reporting anything at all to avoid being let go from their positions? Who wants to go to the trouble of helping by alerting your higher ups when you could be branded as an accomplice when the actual crime is discovered.
Firing Paterno does not unrape the victims.
Lets punish who is at fault here and let the innocent people get on with their lives.
Its clear that the media wishes the main criminal was Paterno because he makes a much higher profile story. That why you her every sportscaster demonizing Joe Paterno - to keep his name in the news and their ratings high. Filthy bastads

Jerry Sandusky doing something wrong is not nearly as entertaining as famed Joe Paterno doing something wrong. Couple that with the fact that it involves a sexual predator and we got a story to sell to the sickos of the USA for weeks!

Joe Paterno has absolutely nothing to do with this case. He is a non story that the media just could not resist spinning to sell gossip.
edit on 10-11-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

bump

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Man I completely messed up my initial post. My bad.

Anyway, I think people are too caught up in which Penn State / college football people did what and knew what (too much speculation on all fronts there) and should be looking more at the DA that mysteriously disappeared as so many key individuals seem to do when they get close to things like pedophilia rings, hacking scandals, etc.

Something seems way too off about this..I'm less concerned about the key figures and witch hunt and more concerned about how deep this goes.
edit on 11-11-2011 by idk42 because: oops

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
I find it difficult to blame Joe Paterno...I think the blame is more fairly laying on the shoulders of the upper administration...Joe reported it to them and they took no action.

In my opinion...Joe Paterno is just a scape goat and it is unfair.

Either way it is a tragedy for the children and nothing is going to rectify that!

The man knew about his assitant coach sodomizing young boys for years. All of them should be taken out and be casterated. Anyone sodomizing a 10 year old is a crazy. And the others didn't do a damn thing to help the children. In my book there as guilty as the perpetrator. And you think the coach is geting the crap in the stick? How would you like it if someone you looked up too you found sodomizing your own 10 yr old brother. Or maybe yourself at 10 years old. But no that poor coach. Your not even thinking about what the event has done to the 10 year old boy.

::just shakes head::

casterate them...is my vote

But since the michael jackson trial is over the media needs another long circus to keep folks minds off everyday life, and theyve got a new one to drag through the mud for the next few months...

That poor coach..you say..sheesh..

what about that Poor 10 year old..and how many others did this scum bag sodomize?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
For many years, Joe Paterno ran a very tight ship at Penn State's football program. He was a model citizen that lived a modest life, donating the largest part of his salary to the school.

All that has changed. Joe did the right thing legally, but in a moral sense, he failed miserably.

Firing him was the right move by the board of trustees, which includes the governor of the state of PA. Joe should have resigned yesterday and saved the fans the disgrace of seeing him fired, which no one would have ever predicted a year ago.

College football is too big.

Universities are supposed to be about higher learning, not about operating a sports business that generates $50 million a year. JMHO.
edit on 10-11-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Lmao, spoken like a true feminist. I bet you wouldn't be happy till all male sports are outlawed and only women studies classes are offered on Colleges.

Joe did the right thing. He didn't witness the event first hand. If he had witnessed the event first hand he would have had a moral/legal obligation to call the cop's asap. But, based upon the testimony of another he did the only thing he should have, report it to the higher ups. If they failed to respond then the blame falls squarely on them.

By your own admission this isn't about Joe, this is about feminist, male hating bigots like you attacking the "patriarchy". Attacking anything pro-male, or anything that enables male self determination(as College football helps many get an education they wouldn't have been able to get without football; Feminist definition of "Patriarchy"= male individual self determination,exp: My right to decide what to wear, how to vote, what I want to get an education in, whom I choose to marry/date/avoid, what type of job I want to work; all of that is the mythical "patriarchy" that feminist's want to "smash and destroy".).

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

I love football.
I am a male.
I am a a feminist only to the point that I believe women deserve the same rights as us men.
You were saying?

ETA: I believe that scholarships should be awarded for academic achievement, not physical ability.

edit on 11-11-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by WarminIndy
. . .

Paterno says he knew Sandusky raped a little boy, told him not to do it again

. . .

Source?

The source was posted by me twice and another poster once. Did you even look at the sources before replying?

ETA: The date was 2007, I had said 2005...and here is the source...again...

• One of Sandusky's victims told the grand jury Sandusky had brought him to Penn State's preseason practices in 2007—a full five years after Paterno was made aware of sexual activity involving Sandusky and another boy.

deadspin.com...
edit on 11/11/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I have a question. Didn't someone call child protection services? They usually have trained investigators who look into these things.

All States should have requirements the police refer all allegations to a trained agency. I think that would stop cover-ups like these and also stop a bunch of witch hunts. The child should have been examined right away. If this was reported there would have been DNA evidence which would remove all doubt. Instead, they relied on some biased 70 year old man determining his "friend" was just playing.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join