It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno fired as football coach at Penn State

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
First... Jerry Sandusky is the lowest form of life.

Second... Joe did the minimum he could do. The absolute minimum. He never accepted the minimum effort from his players. The fact that he did no more than that.... he still had a moral obligation... and he ignored it.

Third... Joe's own words... "I should have done more" ... that convinced me he had to go.

Joe is a very good man. I won't say was. If you look at the man's life before this incident... a finer citizen or human being you'd be hard pressed to find. That's why this is so inexplicable. He was revered... and with good reason.... and now this? it's like finding out Abe Lincoln owned a bunch of slaves.

He had to go... his inaction was heinous.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Well put.
A star on your post.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
reply to post by yeahright

Paterno contacted the Athletic Director as well as the University Police (who have full power as Pennsylvania Police Officers). Neither of the people he contacted did anything.

Exactly
If Sandusky had been arrested the day after Joe Paterno told who he had to tell, Paternoo would have been labeled the most caring man in sports and given accolades hand over fist and the media would have covered that story until we were sick of hearing about it.
Instead they chose to get their story by doing the reverse - labeling Joe Paterno as the wrongdoer here.

What's sick is how quick all the sheeple jump to get out their torches because Joe Dimingo or Mike Fransessa go on the radio to side with their bosses in the media and sell you on Joe Paterno as the devil.
edit on 10-11-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

I think what it is is that there is no punishment cruel enough to satisfy the revenge in all of us. So we begin to look to blme others thinking that this will solve our pain or prevent this stuff from happening. And teh media knows this so they will enrage us and entice us with the biggest names they can throw at us. So fake

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

To be fair, Paterno contacted both the Athletic Director and the University Police (who have state police power). No one did anything.

Also, Abe Lincoln did believe that whites were intrinsically better than black people. He only freed the slaves to save the union, from his own words.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
While morally repugnant, It still is not his decision to make. If you witness a co-worker stealing office supplies, do you call the cops or notify your superiors? Who is to say Paterno did not follow up on it? Maybe that will come out in time. His superiors may have lied to him and told him it was nothing and investigated.

PSU has always had a great reputation thus leading to firing of Joe Pa. I find it very hard to believe that Joe was in on any cover up.
Eric Holder should be canned also for his failure of Project Gun runner same as Joe P.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The board finally got the power play they wanted. It is common knowledge that they wanted Paterno out years ago. They could not do it without causing an uproar. This was the perfect opportunity for them to get what they wanted, and try and save face.

And the sheep are falling for it . . .hook, line, and sinker.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Salamandy

I get the seriousness of the crime but Joe Paterno is innocent. No charges have been filed. As far as you or I know, he did what he had to do by reporting this situation to his higher ups. If anything he should be commended for saying something about a supposed friend.

Whether Paterno is "guilty" or "innocent" of a crime is irrelevant. His program, his responsibility. If one of his assistants commits a recruiting violation, he pays the price. This is significantly worse.

He's either a doddering old fool who doesn't have the ability to track what's going on, or didn't care. Pick one. Either way, his firing was not only justifiable, it was inevitable.

What he "had" to do legally is less than relevant in terms of keeping a job. In a situation like this, with what's at stake, you better do a helluva lot more than what you "have" to, if you want to keep your job. Whether he acted criminally or not is yet to be seen. At the very least, his (in)actions were demonstrative of someone who has no business in that position. It's not criminal to lose, either. Coaches are fired every day for that.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   
reply to post by Salamandy

No charges yet... Not that I think any will be. But this story isn't even remotely over yet. There is going to be a house cleaning of epic proportions in both the university, and the athletic dept.

The state. The feds. The NCAA. The lawsuits. This is only going to get worse.

Joe Paterno had to go. He is, was, the face of Penn St. Not just the football program, but to a large degree, the University at large. The trustees had no choice.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   

The prosecution stated that they are not even going after Paterno, as no crime was committed by him, and he did not even witness the crime.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Has anyone considered that person in Paternos situation at a later date may now turn the other cheek instead of reporting anything at all to avoid being let go from their positions? Who wants to go to the trouble of helping by alerting your higher ups when you could be branded as an accomplice when the actual crime is discovered.

Everyone needs to learn from this debacle.

Everyone should have already learned from the mistakes of Bill Clinton in the Monica Lewinsky affair.

Come clean at the start. Don't 'kick the can down the road' as was previously mentioned in this thread.

What are 10 year old boys doing showering alone with an adult male in a University owned locker room????
That alone is a problem.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

The prosecution stated that they are not even going after Paterno, as no crime was committed by him, and he did not even witness the crime.

Legally he did nothing wrong(Paterno), but he had the moral obligation to follow through when he did not see Sandusky in handcuffs the day after he reported the incident.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

No charges yet... Not that I think any will be. But this story isn't even remotely over yet. There is going to be a house cleaning of epic proportions in both the university, and the athletic dept.

The state. The feds. The NCAA. The lawsuits. This is only going to get worse.

Joe Paterno had to go. He is, was, the face of Penn St. Not just the football program, but to a large degree, the University at large. The trustees had no choice.

So why didnt they try to get some positive out of this story and point out that there beloved Joe Paterno actually stood up for at least one of the victims and went to the authorities. If there was other politics invloved for why he ws let go then so be it. My point is this reason for letting him go is bologna and clearly makes the institution look like scapegoaters.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia

Paterno contacted the Athletic Director as well as the University Police (who have full power as Pennsylvania Police Officers). Neither of the people he contacted did anything.

Exactly
If Sandusky had been arrested the day after Joe Paterno told who he had to tell, Paternoo would have been labeled the most caring man in sports and given accolades hand over fist and the media would have covered that story until we were sick of hearing about it.
Instead they chose to get their story by doing the reverse - labeling Joe Paterno as the wrongdoer here.

What's sick is how quick all the sheeple jump to get out their torches because Joe Dimingo or Mike Fransessa go on the radio to side with their bosses in the media and sell you on Joe Paterno as the devil.

University cops are like mall security.
The athletic director?

WTF?

Child abuse isnt reported to the actual POLICE?
That in itself is a felony.

Jail for Joe is letting him off easy.
Lock him up for endangering the welfare of a child at the very least.

Why give him a pass for being a star sports figure?
are you guys retarded?

Parents trusted this loser to be responsible for ther children. He failed miserably.
If it had been my child Joe would make the news in a very different way, and I bet any parent would agree with me.
Crimes against children make me sick. And this falure of a humab being will get a lighter sentence because he was a famous Sports figure..
What a warped world this is.

For all the support Joe has had in his life, in the end he showed his true persona.. someone who was willing to cover up child abuse, by doing just enough to have some form of plausible deniability of blame.

Well Joe.. Too little, Too late.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
If your stomach is strong, here is a link to the Finding of Facts by the Grand Jury investigating the Sandusky abuse allegations:

Finding of Facts

Edit to add: They must be hitting this site like gangbusters, it takes a while to load.
edit on 10-11-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

That is ridiculous.
Joe Paterno did all he possibly could do. He told the authorities, what else do you want him to do, dress up like up police officer, cart the guy away himself and risk getting busted for falsely acting as an officer?

I mean honestly, have I been reading lies? Is it not true that Joe Paterno told police and his higher ups? Is this not actually fact and Joe Paterno was lying - or is there a credible dispute about this?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Reply to post by butcherguy

Moraal obligations and etbics are subjective.

There is a chain of command for a reason.

Paterno is the scapegoat.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
University cops are like mall security.
The athletic director?

Not in Pennsylvania. In Pennsylvania, the University Police have full legal authority to prosecute people under Pennsylvania law. They are actual police officers.

link   

My point is this reason for letting him go is bologna and clearly makes the institution look like scapegoaters.

Personally, I don't care what it makes anyone "look like". The ball was dropped here, in a big way and by multiple people. If he reported it to "administration" and nothing happened, then he had an obligation to see it through to whatever level he needed to take it. The bologna is to say he's absolved because he told someone somewhere and then walked away from it.

Every kid that monster molested after it was brought to the attention of the administration is on whoever had been made aware of the actions. Paterno included.

link   
Reply to post by BadNinja68

He did report it. So no felony.

He followed the law to the letter.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

My point is this reason for letting him go is bologna and clearly makes the institution look like scapegoaters.

To a degree, I agree with you. In the eye's of the law, Paterno did no wrong. Morally? That's between him and his conscience. I have my opinion...which is no he didn't do enough, not even remotely. Nor did anyone at the University. They are all, every single one of them, to blame for enabling Sandusky's horrific crimes.

In that, yes, Paterno is a scapegoat. But this isn't even remotely over...more heads will roll. On that you may be assured.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join