Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Joe Paterno Fired: Right or Wrong?

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

(Reuters) - A child sexual abuse scandal brought down one of the most iconic names in American sports on Wednesday as Penn State University football coach Joe Paterno said he would retire amid criticism he did not do enough to stop the alleged crimes by a former assistant coach.

The situation was a tragedy and "one of the great sorrows of my life," Paterno, 84, said in a statement, adding he would retire at the end of this season. "With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more," Paterno said of his actions years ago after learning of the allegations about long-time assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

www.reuters.com...

Big scandal this week at Penn State. An assistant coach of the football program has been accused of sexual offenses against boys. It has come out that Paterno was notified of the suspicions, but instead of going to police he went to school administrators who covered up the crimes.

Subsequently, Paterno announced he would retire at the end of this season but instead he was let go today by the university.

Personally, I can't believe that Paterno had anything to do with the crimes, nor did he know the extent of what he was told by the alleged eyewitness. He relayed what he was told to his superiors and relied on them to take the next step, whether it be go to the police, fire the perpetrator or whatever.

I don't think feel Paterno should have been fired.

Your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Of course its right! Paterno and EVERYBODY that knew anything should be in prison for the rest of their lives. Which wouldnt be long, they LOVE child molesters in the joint
edit on 9-11-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think he should have been fired. He didn't go to police, plain and simple he could have saved a lot of kids had he went to someone not in the university. When he went to his boss after he heard about what happened, and he saw his boss do nothing, he really should have gone to police.

Who knows how many victims there will end up being, I'm sure alot more are going to come out in the coming days.

He was a great coach did a lot for the university, but I am not sad that he is gone.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I think it was the right thing to do even though he didn't TOUCH DOWN on any little boys.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
honestly who cares about this guy,,,,,,,

focus on the actual child molester if anything

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
FIRE!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
He had to be fired.
As the highest paid state employee you are not allowed to make mistakes like this.
I want to believe that he didn't know the full extent of the allegations but I don't know.
People who seem to be in the know say he was all powerful at Penn St.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Good but we're straying away from the important matter at hand, which is what the victims and their families must be going through.

Honestly, my heart goes out to those victims. As a man, I can't even begin to imagine what life must have been growing up as a little boy with that kind of sh*t hanging over your head. It's disgusting.

This world that we've so willingly accepted is all f'd. All of it. We're living in some God awful times right now and it's really coming to the forefront.

Sure the man went and notified his supervisor of what he heard, which apparently meets the minimum requirements of the state, but in a case like this simply meeting the bare minimum standards is NOT enough. It takes a hero to stand up, put aside personal opinion, and do what Paterno did not. The man is not a hero and good coach or not this forever destroys his legacy. Sad, sad times.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I just want to ask someone who knows more about this for some clarification. The news outlets are referring to the victims as "boys" and "children" but weren't they university-aged young men who attended the university? Not trying to condone what happened, but it isn't like these were 10-13 year old boys, right?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

No, they were children. Like 11 years old or something like that. Disgusting! Really sad for those kids and their families.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
From the article in the OP

Sandusky allegedly recruited his victims from "The Second Mile," a charity he founded to help troubled children, and subjected them to a pattern of escalating abuse. A preliminary hearing originally set for Wednesday was postponed to December 7.

Former athletic director Tim Curley and former finance official Gary Schultz were charged on Monday with failing to alert police after they were told Sandusky was seen sodomizing a young boy in the locker room showers in 2002. They were also charged with perjury in their statements to a grand jury.

Another article
aol.sportingnews.com...

1994: Victim 7 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at about the age of 10.

1994-95: Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at Second Mile picnic when he was 7 or 8.

1995-96: Boy known as Victim 5 meets Sandusky through Second Mile when he is 7 or 8.

1996-97: Boy known as Victim 4, age 12 or 13, meets Sandusky in Second Mile program.

1998: According to the grand jury report, an 11-year-old boy’s mother called university police to complain after finding out her son had showered with Sandusky. A state Department of Public Welfare investigator told the grand jury that Sandusky had showered with the boy (Victim 6) and hugged him and “admitted that it was wrong” and promised to not shower with the boy again. The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.

They were children.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Wrong...Joe Paterno did what he was supposed to do.

Penn. State needed a fall guy and Joe happened to fit the mold in this instance...it's sad really!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

If that was your child being molested and Joe heard about it and told his superiors, would you think that was all he needed to do? The GA who told Joe needs his rear end kicked for not helping that kid. If I saw someone molesting a kid, they would have to call an ambulance after they called the police.

Since the GA did nothing but call his dad then tell Joe about it, Joe should have made sure something was done to get that scumbag Sandusky. I believe Sandusky was still coming to the locker room after Joe was told about it. How could Paterno be alright with that?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If you currently have a child attending Penn State, and they're out chanting for Joe Paterno, rest assured their education has been wasted.

Burying ones head in the sand will not make a bad situation go away nor can you pretend it didn't happen or isn't happening. How many more kids were abused after Paterno was advised this criminal behaviour may be happening? It is your responsiblity as an employer to advise the appropriate people to investigates the claims, not turn a blind eye. Hell, it's the duty of a fellow human!

Ignoring the horrific does not make it not real.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

reply to post by FeedTic

Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Lots of people there do not agree Paterno should have been fired. There were riots last night with worse violence than has happened at the Occupy protests. Really makes you question the priorities of people nowadays.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Penn State students have gone on the rampage after Joe Paterno, one of the most famous coaches in American sport, was sacked amid a child abuse scandal. Mr Paterno, 84, has been accused of failing to act over allegations of molestation by a long-serving assistant, Jerry Sandusky.

University President Graham Spanier was also dismissed with immediate effect.

College football is hugely popular in the US, drawing massive TV audiences on Saturdays and filling vast stadiums.

Scores of police and state troopers, some in riot gear, tried to clear the streets, and some officers used pepper spray to disperse demonstrators.

Witnesses say rocks and bottles were thrown, a lamp-post was knocked over and a news van overturned

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Yes, unfortunately Paterno, and the university president had to go.

I read an article this morning statin that the Catholic Church should hire Penn St. PSU took immediate action whereby the church still employs Bernard Law in a very powerful role. Men who hold such power should be 100% accountable, even if not personally guilty.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
While I don't disapprove of the decision...
I would have suspended him until the accused is convicted in a court of law.
If guilty, kick, with a steel toed boot, that guy's behind to the moon.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

The rioting over the decision is absolutely absurd, btw.

edit on 14-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join