It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imperial America's Common Themes: Excuses for Offensive Invasion, Milllions Murdered, in 100+ Natio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
academic.evergreen.edu...

^ stumbled across the above article on google while looking for the number of military attacks perpetrated in the past 100 yrs. GLP author claims 170 in the past 100, dunno if that's correct but i'll leave the number issue for the other thread.

my point is that imo, the author's "Common Themes" conclusion gives a good consensus of USA's actions upon our world and precious Earth to date, both past and future and toward what end?

common theme seen in many U.S. military interventions.

- explained to the U.S. public as defending the lives and rights of civilian populations.
- often left behind massive civilian collateral damage, did not attempt to minimize it, ie..
- little regard for distinction between rebels and the civilians
- little disticntion between military assets and civilian infrastructure,
- installation of new military technology in seized land will avoid civilian casualties
- in the name of "freedom" and "democracy yet defending capitalism or an economic agenda (ie, oil)
- installing a new democratic government more to their liking.
- branding of opponents objections as "terrorism" "atrocities against civilians," or "ethnic cleansing"
- launch 'defensive' preemptive attacks

- masquerade as neutral peacekeeper, with nothing but the purest humanitarian motives
- quickly divides the country or region into "friends" and "foes," and taks one side against another.
- military intervention consistently counterproductive, further destabilize the country
- same countries/regions tend to reappear again and again on the list of 20th century intervention
- public demonization of an enemy leader yet secret strengthening of his power (Gaddafi, Castro, Saddam, Kim, Laden)
- Americans, 'people like us' do not commit atrocities against civilians. (white man's burden mentality revival)
- 9/11 attacks caused permanent enemization of mideast/muslims, united desensitized tolerance of hate, violence, genocides to come..

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
To what end is indeed the bigger question.

S&F for putting this out there in a way that many will find difficult to deny.

The truth is coming out and needs to be shared so that these atrocities can stop.

Peace

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
yeah as far as to what end, the Avatar ending came to mind

it seems nowadays, as long as its passable as politically correct, its politically okay

media/nobody even talks about morally correct or ethics anymore, in all these mideast invasions since even 10yrs ago..

its like much of people, the majority, are numb, indifferent about it, and have lost their hearts/souls, even.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm not defending the United States Government's choices by any means, but that being said. I think the world attempts to demonize the U.S unfairly.

There has not been a superpower in the history of the world that has not massacred, destroyed, decimated, enslaved or otherwise terrorized one region of the world or another. The U.S is just the first to be able to do it on a global scale....

Nations the same system could be applied to:
1. Spain
2. England
3. Russia (Soviet Union)
4. France
5. Portugal
6. China
7. Germany
8. Italy
9. India
10. Ottomans
11. Roman Empire
12. Slavs-Croats

The Governments of the world will always attempt to justify horrendous deeds. The United States just does it more efficiently than any other in history.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
I'm not defending the United States Government's choices by any means, but that being said. I think the world attempts to demonize the U.S unfairly.

There has not been a superpower in the history of the world that has not massacred, destroyed, decimated, enslaved or otherwise terrorized one region of the world or another. The U.S is just the first to be able to do it on a global scale....

Nations the same system could be applied to:
1. Spain
2. England
3. Russia (Soviet Union)
4. France
5. Portugal
6. China
7. Germany
8. Italy
9. India
10. Ottomans
11. Roman Empire
12. Slavs-Croats

The Governments of the world will always attempt to justify horrendous deeds. The United States just does it more efficiently than any other in history.

Yes, those were/are other Imperialistic powers.
But that shouldn't stop us from recognizing the current greater threat. (The Us Government/Mil. Complex)
I truly believe there are other ways of having a global civilization that doesn't involve constant bombing of each other, that's why I think it's important to acknowledge who is NOW the imperial "superpower".
It is not demonizing, and it is not directed at the US People, but it's elite and "decision-makers".
And I truly feel that imperialistic doctrines are moral and ethically wrong, and that we have grown as a society enough for many of us to recognize this, the next step (historically speaking) is to take that understanding forward and building a better, more just and fair global society that's oriented to stimulating human potential and creativity and not the mere accumulation of capital and resources as the supreme law. That's all.
Thanks

Drakus

top topics

join