It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western black rhino declared extinct

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Western black rhino declared extinct

www.bbc.co.uk

No wild black rhinos remain in West Africa, according to the latest global assessment of threatened species.

The Red List, drawn up by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), has declared the subspecies extinct.

A subspecies of white rhino in central Africa is also listed as possibly extinct, the organisation says.

The annual update of the Red List now records more threatened species than ever before.

The IUCN reports that despite conservation efforts, 25% of the world's mammals are at risk of extinction
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It's quite worrying to see how we can have such a negative affect on nature. As the article states. "some subspecies have been particularly vulnerable to poaching by criminal gangs who want to trade the animals' valuable horns."

Hopefully the others on the 'red list' don't succumb to the same fate as these have.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-11-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

St. George knows whats up

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by radosta

Well I'd partially agree with his point in that clip, interfering with nature is what caused these problems in the first place. However, there's a big difference between wanting to protect natural habitats and prevent poaching and interfering with nature.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

As much as I got a tear in my eye to read the article George is correct...

The truth is we as humans are part of nature and to be so arrogant as to proclaim that we are not is a place I will allow evangelists to dance without my presence.

Eventually this planet will be consumed by the sun, before that it is likely humanity will be gone and an entirely new world will be seen a hundred times with so few of the present flora and fauna it would look alien to us.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i think there is a couple breeding pair of both at caldwell zoo in tyler texas.not a hundred percent on it tho.i think africa needs some infared helicopters with miniguns mounted on them.lets make poachers extinct.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
My question is : who says they are extinct and how do they know? Who has the power to see all of the animals' natural roaming territory simultaneously and declare it to be gone forever? Also, how many species were declared extinct and then found again?
Just more human hubris.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
How is this alternative news? Seriously I want to know.Sure it's a shame and blah blah..but....alternative news? NO.Oh wait this is ATS...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I feel disgusted to be a human being sometimes, and this is one of those times.

How can we be smart enough, to develop vaccines to fight off diseases, land on the moon and launch probes into space, but yet so ignorant and violent?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I don't often make my own threads on these forums, which section of the forums should it be in? And if it's in the wrong place I'm sure the mods would pick it up.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred
reply to post by nightstalker78

I don't often make my own threads on these forums, which section of the forums should it be in? And if it's in the wrong place I'm sure the mods would pick it up.

I wasn't busting on you.I was just saying it's not alternative news...I suppose we have different ideas of what that is.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by radosta

pretty easy actually. It's a very large animal (Seriously, rhinoceroses are huge. it has a very notable impact on its environment. It leaves large piles of crap and big dust wallows whrere it goes. If these things are missing, then the animal might not be there. Further, there are people living in the area who, one imagines, notice large lumbering aggressive beasts with tendencies to eat crops. so you ask them "Hey, have you seen a rhinoceros lately?" If htey say no, it might be rather rare.And if researchers have been tagging and tracking the individuals they've found over the years, and those animals are recorded as dead, but you can't find fresh rhinos to tag, well...?

Extinction is reality.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I feel disgusted to be a human being sometimes, and this is one of those times.

The Dodo bird became extinct... we had nothing to do with that

How many species of Dinosaurs did we as a race extinguish?

George is right... leave nature alone.

COELACANTH; A prehistoric fish once thought to be extinct found living in modern times.

Prehistoric shark captured on film

People keep talking about all the species going extinct, but what about the NEW species discovered EVERY YEAR? Why does no one mention them?

Each year the IISE announces a list of the Top 10 New Species for the preceding calendar year. The Top 10 New Species described in 2010 are listed below with links to additional details about each species.

species.asu.edu...

New Dolphin Species Discovered in Big City Harbor
news.nationalgeographic.com...

2 new species of Bats

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Over 1000 New Species Found in New Guinea : Discovery News
Jun 27, 2011 – The new animals include 580 invertebrates, 134 amphibians, two birds, 71 fish , 43 reptiles and 12 mammals.
news.discovery.com...

The discovery of a new type of titi monkey was made in the Mato Grosso region of Brazil.www.guardian.co.uk...

Seems Nature is still creating as fast as some species drop off
edit on 10-11-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
we (humans DID have something to do with the dodo bird being extinct .
in the 1400s what the Spanish sailors found the glopios islands what they found was a minee world that had evolved isolated for millions of years .The dodo bird had no predators and lost all its flight responses as such teh men wanting fresh meat only had to walk on the beach walk up to the birds hit them over the head and it was lunch .
in less then 100 years they were going the tortoise nearly went with them alone with many other animals that accored no ware else on earth and to this day because of man DIRECTLY many other animals on the islands are on the verge of extinction.
People come on this site every day saying how there is no way man can effect his environment to this degree no way we can change the composition of the very air we breath . The reason why these people say this is ton have a way of ignoring there own guilt as they know the car they drive puts out clouds of poison gas .as they know the electricity they use puts out poison gas dams rives so fish can no longer get to there mating grounds .
to the point were many rives haven't had a salmon run in 50 years .
This is not cemtrails this is not oo no way we can change things this is reality all you have to do is walk out your door go down town to the local river and try catching a fish if you need proof of this being true .
But hey you still really say man cant effect his environment ok put your mouth were your words are go down to that same local river (being in the US we have cleaner water then most but still go down to your local river take a cup dip it in and drink it .
100 years agaio that was the water every one was using to drink whats wrong why wont you take that drink? i thought man couldn't effect his environment?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is depressing.

This does not mean they are 100% extinct they are still around in zoos so there is a little hope. I saw one in Baton Rouge in fact i believe it was in 2009 it gave birth.

new topics

top topics

join