It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible JP Morgan Chase fraud being commited against the unemployed in Arizona

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
First I'd like to say I am no expert on any of this. What I am about to share is merely based on my own experiences with JP Morgan Chase. On that note, this is something I am going to be sharing with the AZ DES Unemployment Insurance Department as well as the Arizona Attorney General's office.

I suspect JP Morgan Chase is ripping off the unemployed in Arizona. AZ uses them to manage the states unemployment benefits and I suspect they may be charging many, many people that same $10.00 fee I had to pay; keeping adding that up and it's going to amount to a LOT of money!!

I was able to record today's conversation with Chase and here it is...

edit on 9-11-2011 by DJDigitalGem because: fixed text

edit on 9-11-2011 by DJDigitalGem because: narrowed scope of the post

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DJDigitalGem

Hi neighbor! As a resident of Tucson, I'd like to read your essay. I started to read some of it, but am in a hurry right now and can not finish it.

I flagged it to read later.

Thanks to you all in Mesa, Pearce is out of office

Finally things might change.

Solidarity for all.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
whole system, i worked for uhaul for 5.5 months. Earned more than enough to met the min wage requirement to get UI compensation. AZ DES waited a week before telling me, oh sorry, we take the highest two quarter of the first four quarters of the last five. So I won't be eligible for UI until Jan '12......By then, I will either have a job and not need it or be on the streets.

Did some research on AZ section 8 housing, 5 year waiting list.....Who the hell has 5 years to sit around to wait for housing if you are in desperate need......and then there are only 78 housing vouchers for the entire state.....Seriously?
edit on 9-11-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You get a flag for the investigation and a star for relevance to today's issues in highlighting the corruption that is rife in banks today. This fraud is impudently carried out under the guise of a corporation which is not held to the same laws as an individual. If an individual was found to have defrauded the bank for that amount the authorities would have acted to the full extent of the law.
Im gonna give you a thumbs up as well

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
ok I fixed my initial post
Here's the rest of what I had written. This is the story behind my video and my suspicions.

I became one of the scores of unemployed back on October 12, 2011. I received a call from the AZ DES Unemployment Insurance office on Tuesday Oct 18, 2011. I answered all of the standard unemployment questions and began waiting for my benefits card to arrive. I waited nearly three weeks and on Monday Nov 7th I called the AZ DES unemployment insurance department. The automated system gave me a number to call JP Morgan/Chase Bank so I called them next.

Initially their automated system said it could not locate me by my social security number so it then transferred me to a customer service representative; unfortunately I did not get her name. Initially she said they seemed to have an old mailing address in their system so we updated the address. Next she said that their systems showed a previous card had been issued but since it wasn't this calendar year, she could send me a new card. I was then given two options. First she said the card could be sent by standard mail and it would arrive in 7-10 business days. The next option was to have it sent by Federal Express which would have the card arrive in two days. Since I'd already waited nearly three weeks, I opted for the Federal Express delivery. She indicated that there would be $10 taken from my account.

My card arrived today, Wed Nov 9, 2011, via Federal Express delivery. I recalled my partner also having gone through the same thing when she initially set up her unemployment back in 2010 so I began my own investigation. I called Chase Bank today and reviewed the charges to my account. I found there was a $15.00 charge instead of the $10 charge I was expecting. I spoke to customer service again and this time. I spoke to Cindy and I advised her of the $15.00 charge. She said their system showed a card was previously issued to me July 2008 and that card was good for three years. She stated the $5.00 additional charge was due to the previous card being replaced and she stated it was issued on Nov 7, 2011.

I advised her, much to my amusement, that the previous card she was referring to was no good since today is Nov 8, 2011 and this is past the three year mark. She then stated the original card for this year was issued on Nov 7, 2011 but then she said that was the second card that was issued this calendar year. I questioned her on this and advised her that was the very card I received today. I explained the options I'd been given by the previous representative and she said she could not refund any fee's and then offered to transfer me to a supervisor. She then came back on the line and said the supervisor advised she was able to issue a $5.00 refund; I accepted this and then I tried calling your offices but the call volume was too high and I was told to call back later.

So reviewing the facts here is what I see. I was charged a $10.00 fee by Chase Bank for what? I still don't know because they admitted initially they'd never issued me a card this calendar year and then tried to change their story saying the first card they issued was on Nov 7, 2011 which is the same card that arrived by Federal Express today. Can you just imagine? Let's say Chase is supposed to issue 1,000 per month; multiple that by their seemingly standard "$10.00 fee" and that's a LOT of money. It all really seems like a big scam to me and it needs to be stopped.

Thanks so much Shirak! I realy appreciate the positive feedback

chanel sorry the post was so long but I wanted to give all the details behind my video. Glad you will be back later to read it!

pointr97 I sent you a message regarding your situation. Let me know if there's anything else I can do!

I just finished emailing the fraud department of the Arizona Department of Economic Services as well as the Arizona State Attorney General's office. I guess we'll see what comes of that. Does anyone know if there's anyone else I can contact to get this formally investigated? This really isn't about me or my $10.00, it's about the much bigger picture here. This could potentially be a big bank defrauding those that are already down on their luck!
edit on 9-11-2011 by DJDigitalGem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I know another guy, but will pass that along in private....he will give sound advice and won't just sweep it under the rug.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I don't know if the unemployed in Arizona are having a lot of problems with their bank cards. However I know they are here in Iowa. When I worked at the office here I was constantly getting calls about the cards and how they hadn't gotten their money. They hadn't gotten the right amount of money. It was not unusual for the money to be on the card one day and simply disappear the next. Several times people would go to get gas or make purchases only to be told there was no money. We don't have Chase here we have Wells Fargo. The states have turned over their finances consequently the peoples finances to a pack of criminals.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
It seems to me that the state agencies need to start looking at who they have managing things! I'm sorry to hear about what's happening in Iowa and I would recommend contacting the attorney general there as I did here.

I really wish I could find out how many people Chase has done this to in just the past month. I'm sickened by the thought of them getting tens of thousands of dollars by these shady means! THEY NEED TO PAY!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Isn't it illegal to bug a phone call?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Isn't it illegal to bug a phone call?

In Arizona, I believe it is legal to do this as long as you advise the other party you are doing this. You have to state it up front.

www.wilcoxlegal.com... onversations.htm

B. In the case of a telephone or in-person conversation, recording simply means making a copy of the conversation between two or more people. Recording is illegal in Arizona if NO party to the conversation knows that the conversation is being recorded. However, in Arizona, and this varies by state, if one party to the conversation knows that the conversation is being recorded, it is not illegal. Thus, if someone tape records a phone call or conversation involving him/herself and another person, even one who is unaware of being recorded, that's legal in Arizona.

If the same person taps into a phone line and records a conversation between two people who are unaware they are being recorded, it is ILLEGAL. Arizona and federal law are similar in this respect; however, recording conversations is illegal in certain other states unless all parties know of the recording and consent. There may be some cross-jurisdictional issues involved when tape recording a conversation across state or national boundaries. Prior to tape recording, I recommend that you consult an attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Seriously, you do have to let the other party know they are being recorded. If you don't you could be sued. I have a friend that did this, recorded and didn't let the other party know. It wasn't pretty!

Edit to add:

This could very well be a sticky situation for the OP of the thread. While Chase informed her that the call may be monitored, she did not state that she was recording the call. Now she is posting this for the world to see. I would advise consulting an attorney before doing something like this.........it might end up costing a lot more than $15.00!

edit on 10-11-2011 by supine because: add text

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Lots wrong w/that picture there. Their explanation doesn't add up in a few different ways. Thanks for taking the time to take issue with it! Its because most of us are too overwhelmed in life already that we usually don't take issue and corps get away with fee scamming. So thanks! 'Cause if more people just called and seemed aware, I bet it would cut down on scams accross the board.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
SOURCE: www.divorcesource.com...

B. In the case of a telephone or in-person conversation, recording simply means making a copy of the conversation between two or more people. Recording is illegal in Arizona if NO party to the conversation knows that the conversation is being recorded. However, in Arizona, and this varies by state, if one party to the conversation knows that the conversation is being recorded, it is not illegal. Thus, if someone tape records a phone call or conversation involving him/herself and another person, even one who is unaware of being recorded, that's legal in Arizona.

On the side of Chase, and their customer service agent, there was no reasonable expectation of privacy. They record their calls so hence no privacy.

SOURCE: www.callrecordingcenter.com...

Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 13-3005: Interception of a wire or electronic communication by an individual who is not a party, without the consent of someone who is a party to the communication, is a felony. The electronic communications referred to in the statute include wireless and cellular calls. The overhearing of a conversation by an individual who is not present, without the consent of a party to that conversation, is also a felony. Both violations are classified as "class 5" felonies, which are the second least serious felonies in Arizona.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of "oral communication," Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 13-3001. A state appellate court has held that a criminal defendant's contention that police officers violated this law by recording their interviews with him without his consent was meritless because the defendant had no reasonable expectation of privacy in a police interview room. Arizona v. Hauss, 688 P.2d 1051 (Ariz. Ct. App. 1984).

Sorry, it's not illegal because I was aware that the conversation was being recorded. Any other thread police wanna chime in now?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Send the full story details as posted here to various A current Affair Programs and 60 minutes. New york Times may be interested to.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

not trying to be thread police and i may be flat wrong but i was trying to resolve a dispute with my bank and asked the lady who was assinged to my case (over the phone once i was transferred to there help line) if she minded if i recorded the call as it was recorded from her end anyways and she said her office was located in Illinois and any recordings would be illegal under state law of Illinois i lived in ca at the time just what i had been told good luck and becarefull!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak

Send the full story details as posted here to various A current Affair Programs and 60 minutes. New york Times may be interested to.

AHH!! I will do just that! Thanks so much for that suggestion Shirak. To KilrathiLG, sorry if I was rude. The laws vary by state.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
***update***

I have emailed all of the following:

New York Times
3 on your side (Phoenix, AZ)
New Times Phoenix
The Washington Post
The Arizona Republic
ABC 15 (Phoenix, AZ)
KPHO channel 5 (Phoenix, AZ)

Is there anyone else you all think I should contact?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Yes. You should call a shrink for getting so worked up over this. They gave you a free option but you wanted the delivery option that cost $10. The $5 in dispute they credited back to you. So what's the problem. Do you expect Chase or the State(us) to pay for overnight shipping?

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

You have missed my point entirely. If Chase is doing this to THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE every month, then they are raking their ill gotten gains in by the tens of thousands. This is not about my $10 it's about the bigger picture. They are defrauding the people of the State of Arizona and getting away with it by lying and calling their bankroll a "fee".

In addition I had already waited for THREE WEEKS. How do you think I should have fed my family or paid my rent, water and electric bills? I was running on fumes when it came to my back up funds. Like most American's I live mainly paycheck to paycheck but thank God I'd been able to save enough for 1 month of my bills. God forbid I have to feed my kids right?

edit on 12-11-2011 by DJDigitalGem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJDigitalGem
***update***

I have emailed all of the following:

New York Times
3 on your side (Phoenix, AZ)
New Times Phoenix
The Washington Post
The Arizona Republic
ABC 15 (Phoenix, AZ)
KPHO channel 5 (Phoenix, AZ)

Is there anyone else you all think I should contact?

Isn't it predictable how the haters come along add nothing of value to the thread. I think anyone who actually understood the implications of this story or had at least the comprehension skills of a mollusc would realize that this the value of this find is more than a couple of dollars.
This is a really good start. I'd go as far as to propose that a class action against this institution should be possible by all affected. Corruption will always triumph as long as people bend over and take it like one spineless poster in this thread suggests. Salute to the OP for having the stones to not just take it.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak

Isn't it predictable how the haters come along add nothing of value to the thread. I think anyone who actually understood the implications of this story or had at least the comprehension skills of a mollusc would realize that this the value of this find is more than a couple of dollars.
This is a really good start. I'd go as far as to propose that a class action against this institution should be possible by all affected. Corruption will always triumph as long as people bend over and take it like one spineless poster in this thread suggests. Salute to the OP for having the stones to not just take it.

THANK YOU!!!
I will keep updating this thread as I begin (hopefully) hearing from the Arizona state departments I have contacted as well as the media.
edit on 14-11-2011 by DJDigitalGem because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join