It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GITMO Hearing For USS Cole Suspect (Was Water-boarded and had an Electric Drill Held to his Head)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The video title claims that there is a media blackout and I personally wouldn't go that far. However I will say that it's insane how casual this Yale professor went over the torture stuff. So can we put an end to legal torture?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Compared to what happened to those sailors he got off lucky.

No sympathy from me.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Compared to what happened to those sailors he got off lucky.

No sympathy from me.

It's not a matter of sympathy from you..
The questions is, how truthful would his testimony be if they were told during torture?
Will we ever really know what he knows?

Personally I'd like to know the truth.
Not what he blurted out in between being waterboarded.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yes because if we compare something to something worse anything will be better. "Oh you broke your spine in that car crash? Well compared to that guy who died you're A OKAY! NO Sympathy my dude you didn't die."

How can anyone think like this Neo? And by anyone, I mean you. Torture is not okay in a free and open society. Sure you may think he deserves it but that isn't the question. The point is it isn't legal and torture has no place in our system. We don't torture people. (or rather, we shouldnt)
edit on 11/9/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Thanks for posting this up, I think our government had a hand in the Cole attacks just like 9/11. I say that as a Navy vet who's last ship was the USS O'Kane DDG-77, the O'Kane was one of the last flight 2's to be built, the Cole is a flight 1. One of my Chiefs on the O'Kane was aboard the Cole and had both of his legs broken in the blast, he was sitting down eating and the next thing he knew he was being bounced off the overhead.

The ship was hit in #1 MMR my shop and the fuel lab is right next to #1 MMR the Chiefs mess is 1 deck above that and the enlisted mess decks were in the same area. The ship was hit during lunch time, due to my job I got to see the uncensored pictures and it was pretty gorey. Some of the crew became one with the bulkheads with thier mess trays pressed and fused into their bodies. #1MMR, HT shop and fuel lab were destroyed, the majority of the power and firefighting water and fresh water was taken out. It was a tactical hit on her I don't think some inbred goat herder is going to pull that off.

Edit to add the 2 ton lathe in our shop ended up in the galley crushing everyone in it's path.
edit on 9-11-2011 by Silverado292 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

How can anyone think like this Neo? And by anyone, I mean you.

Because he intentionally inflicted deaths and suffering on those other men, so there is really no reason for sympathy when he endures pain and threats.

But, I agree with others, his testimony is useless. If the torture led to concrete evidence, then that evidence is worthwhile, and the torture was justified. BUT, what if the torture doesn't lead to anything? And what if he was never guilty to begin with? Then we have severely wronged this person, and we should be held accountable for it!!

If we torture someone and prove them guilty, fine.
But, if we torture someone, and they are ultimately innocent, shouldn't we face charges?
If that was the standard, then I wonder how many people would be willing to go forward with the torture?

If a suspect knows where a missing kid is located, or a bomb is located, or when an attack will happen, then get the information at all costs! I'm all for it!
But if you're wrong, then you are on the line for everything you have just done!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Are you serious? So the ends justify the means? That's the biggest bunch of crap I have heard in a while.... People are insane...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

He is a Folk HERO!
He takes peoples lives and gives to the poor!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Are you serious? So the ends justify the means? That's the biggest bunch of crap I have heard in a while.... People are insane...

Yes, but there is also risk involved for thost that would use those means.

If it is a case of saving many lives, or the lives of a child, I would have no problem getting the information at all costs, and the ends would justify the means, but I think, if I were wrong, I should be held accountable for my own crimes.

That's my stance.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The fact's are American's died here and Rendition as it's called has been used for decades long before the public "became aware" and those same methods are the result of the current adminstrations killing sprees.

I say how can anyone defend or sympathize with those people and since the thread author just loved to make the topic about a poster well i would be the topic if i planned and plotted and action led up to the murder of American's.

However i haven't take off those rose colored glasses real life never has or ever will live up to the cold hard fact of what we call life today.

Keep preaching morality and you are accessories to murder.
edit on 9-11-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Those bleeding heart's will never get it that there are people who will do anything and everything to kill them and use any means necessary to accomplish that they play by different rules and people have and will continue to die.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Torture creates more hate. Torture does nothing positive. If you are being tortured you will admit to being involved with the JFK assassinations just to make it stop.

Torture never works and should be outlawed and banned as we are better then that as it is up to us to treat these people humanely and respectfully and you'll see how much more productive the interrogations are as when we torture that makes us no better then those we claim to be against.

Most of these cases won't see civil court because the second it's learned that how the information was gathered (regardless of how credible or actionable the info learned was) the case will get tossed.

To deny Constitutional rights to only terrorists starts a very slippery slope that threatens the rights of all. The fact we have these protections distinguishes us from the barbarians and savages of society. Why stop at Arabs as we ONLY TORTURE ARABS AND NO ONE ELSE REEKS OF RACIAL PROFILING! Either it applies to all equally or else it should not apply to anyone. There is no second option!

TORTURE IN ANY CASE IS WRONG AS THE ENDS DO NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS! TORTURE BREEDS AND CREATES MORE TERORRISM!
edit on 9-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Really, and what do you propose be done to people that are wrong? Do they get to be tortured by their victim? I still can't believe anyone would think that it's ok to torture people.... It's totally insane way of thinking... Would you also not object to a cop that thinks he has the right guy going a round or two with torture?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

If history has taught us anything it's that sometimes the Liberal gloves have to come off and you have to get down and dirty while fighting fire with fire. I know it's ugly but true. Otherwise, you run the risk of losing those precious liberties and rights that you are demonstrating by posting your opinion. [Which so many others have fought and died for]

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

You do not defeat your enemy by sinking down to their level as that makes you no better then that of which you claim to be against!

To his credit Obama did outlaw torture and when he did that allowed the Arab world to respect us that much more.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

That sounds nice and politically correct and all but not true.
Enough said

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

What I said is the truth and cannot be spun to suit some diabolical and satanical agenda. We are better then that.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
To deny Constitutional rights to only terrorists starts a very slippery slope that threatens the rights of all. The fact we have these protections distinguishes us from the barbarians and savages of society. Why stop at Arabs as we ONLY TORTURE ARABS AND NO ONE ELSE REEKS OF RACIAL PROFILING! Either it applies to all equally or else it should not apply to anyone. There is no second option!

Note: the Politically Correct "sounding" hypocrisy.

To deny them "American" Constitutional rights?

We cannot apply OUR rights to non Americans! If we were to then that is simply stating that "WE" the US have the right to enforce OUR beliefs and LAWS on the rest of the world!

Side note: Your CAP lock get's stuck from time to time.

edit on 9-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

See that is infuriating give them rights? What about the right's of those they kill?

They have such a ridiculous "arguement".

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Yes we apply our rights to non citizens and continue to do so to this very day so that they can't be tried and convicted of a crime committed here in their home country. What would get someone incarcerated for life in their home nation would buy someone 20 years here means we have deals with other nations that any crime committed here must be tried here as the same deal applies if you, an American are visiting a foreign nation and are arrested, tried and convicted there means you cannot be held to answer to those charges stateside after paying your debt to society there. Unfortunately though for us Americans our Constitution only applies when we are on American soil.

The most the embassy or consulate office there can do is get the case dropped and you banned from the nation for life.

As long as they are in American custody there are protected under the Constitution! Like it or not!

We offer this to non citizens as it shows those who hate us that a better way is possible. This is one of the numerous items that we pride ourselves over and that is that we are the epitome of what to do and what not to do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join