It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the toughest sport in the world?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Two differents lists have come out on what is the toughest sport in the world. Friendly debate here folks, on what you think it is and why. Did a sport deservedly make the list? Or are you appalled?

But don't take our word for it. Take the word of our panel of experts, a group made up of sports scientists from the United States Olympic Committee, of academicians who study the science of muscles and movement, of a star two-sport athlete, and of journalists who spend their professional lives watching athletes succeed and fail.

ESPN

And this is ranked by a panel of sports scientists. The page does list their credentials.

starting from number five:

wrestling

basketball

football

ice hocky

boxing.
**********************************************************************************************************************
I am glad to see that ice hockey is up there. I think hockey players have the most skill and take a wallop.

Basketball, meh, not so much.
**********************************************************************************************************************

List number two:

ice hockey

rugby

boxing

Aussie Rules (footy)

And number one:

water polo

bleacherreport

I think soccer should of made both lists.
edit on 9-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Curling....

2nd line

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think in terms of tough being physically demanding, then soccer would need to be on that list. If tough is in terms of pain inflicted on the athlete then I would say mixed martial arts.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The drinking game of quarters is a very rough sport.It takes a fierce competitor to secure the victory.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If telling the truth was a sport, I'd have to say Amerika votes that as the hardest challenge.

Since it's not officially a sport, I'd agree with boxing/ UFC fighting. Everything is easier when your face isn't being pounded repeatedly until you're finally knocked out.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

/thread and sweaty palms

edit on 9-11-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I wrestled 3 years varsity in high school and it was by far, harder than soccer, football, lacrosse, rowing, and any other sport we had. Our coaches told us that lasting an entire wrestling season (4+ months) would be one of the hardest things we would ever undertake in our lives, physically and mentally.

I never played football for our school but the football players on our team that wrestled would say that 1 regular wrestling practice was tougher than 2-a-day's during football season. And we had wrestling practice every day after school and every saturday morning.

I don't doubt it at all, and I definitely think soccer and water polo should be on both lists because of the ridiculous aerobic/respiratory endurance required.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
How does list 1 have basketball as being tougher than wrestling? Basketball players cry when they get slapped on their wrists.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I would put professional mens soccer on the bottom of the list. Any sport where it is deemed necessary to fake fall down, cry,get up, argue.....b1tch like a little girl, in order to get a free throw/kick whatever, in order to win....is pathetic and not a honorable sport.

There are a ton of sports that are hard to be the best at. A lot of individual sport i think should be up there.
However if it's team sport then I would agree with the list.....except basketball....

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The toughest sport is indoor hand hockey.You clear out the living room of all furniture and set up 4 ft goals on both sides.Teams of 2 compete against each other.You must pass and shoot the ball with your hand.Checking into walls and railings is totally legal.Sometimes you bend down to shoot the ball and an opposing player checks you right through the wall and you land in the next room,or you get checked right through the spindles and the bannister crashes down on you.It truly is a rough sport.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I determine how tough a sport is based on how often you can realistically expect to play it and keep your body intact.

Hockey players play 82 regular season games, and the potentially months of playoffs

Football players play once a week for 16 weeks in the regular season. It's probably the toughest team sport

The toughest sport overall would have to be MMA. It's an absolutely brutal sport. You have the greatest chance of being killed engaging in this sport. How often do MMA fighters fight? Once, perhaps twice a year. It stands above all other sports as the toughest.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
1. Mixed martial arts

2. wrestling

3. boxing

4. football

5. ???

wrestling and boxing coming in close together but MMA to me is the hardest. you have to master multiple arts and 2 of them are boxing and wrestling which are very difficult to begin with.

MMA fighters need to go into a cage for 15-25 mins at a time prepared to get kicked in the head, punched in the kidney, taken down, and if worst comes to worst you will get a broken bone.

did you know amateur mma isnt even insured by the people hosting the events?
edit on 9-11-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

link   
I think boxing is the toughest for me just because of the level of cardio involved.
3 rounds is harder then you think and pros go 12 rounds.

Even though Pro Wrestling isn't considered a sport and is seen as entertainment....I would think it would be up there considering the injuries involved.(which are very real)

I am glad to see ice hockey up there though and think it is one of the toughest for sure.

When I played football (defensive tackle) I never got hurt once and didn't find it too bad.

link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Cross country sking,

might not be MMA or Ice hockey, but them guys are super fit and super mentally strong,

So the toughest sport in reality would have to be in categories: Violent, physical, mental or a combination of both or all,

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I am wondering if it should of been broken down by team sports versus individual sports.

These are subjective. On the ESPN list, they rank fishing last. LOL

But then, deep sea fishing where a guy is reeling in a 100 lb sword fish and spending 3 hours doing it, that takes skill and some arm muscle.

I also wonder if jockeys were considered, they maybe small, but I wouldn't get into a brawl with a jockey. Anyone who makes a 900 lb animal with attitude run for its life has skill and strength.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I got this list from a radio show this morning, and they figured out that hockey players play just a bit more amount of time in a game then boxers.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

The cardio comes in from running from dad when you put a hole in the wall.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Thats an interesting fact for sure.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Unicorn hunting. No 2nd.
edit on 9/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Adjusted reply to reply to ;-P

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Big wave surfing. When one takes off on a huge wave(60+ feet), he/she is laying down thier life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join