It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domesday Forum? Shall we quarantine the all the Domesday threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
You've all seen them. Some of us take a quick look at the first and smell BS. We are then subjected to thread after thread on the same topic. Lots of gullible members buy it and get sucked in....

Another Domesday thread!!!

I'm not saying it isn't a legitimate topic. But every time there is a passing comet or asteroid the world is not about to end. Every numerically interesting date (11/11/11 is the next after today 11/9/11) doesn't signify the world ending. A lot of us are getting tired of filtering out all the time wasting threads on various Domesday scenarios. I for one get RSS notification if it is one of the forums I follow but I don't want to.

Would the Mods like a forum called Domesday where you could send any Domesday topic to. That way folks obsessed with this can go live there and leave the rest of the forum for other topics.

I know there is a natural disasters one already but they rarely put Domesday threads there. Surely this might make the forum happier place. "Domesdayers" will have a proper home and the rest of us can have less clutter.

What do members and Mods/Admin reckon?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

Personally, I am getting really burned out on all of the doomsday chatter.

I found myself getting caught up in the 'what is going to happen next' ratrace, trying to anticipate what type of disaster or failure could affect us. Truly almost none of the doomsday predictions have come true and my brain needs a rest.

It would be nice to take a break from them all, and if I don't see them on the list, I won't be tempted...........

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I like it. Doomsday seems like a reasonable and extensive enough topic to warrant its own forum, whether it comes from divine punishment/salvation, alien invasion, random mountains flying though space, or the NWO depopulating with mutated viruses.

Even though I believe voting is for suckers, this gets my vote.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
OR....you could simply choose not to read them.

Instead of ridiculing them, stay away.

Could that solve your problem?

Here's an example: there's a thread that keeps growing where some people are convinced the moon is upside down and other people are trying to convince them it isn't. I read it, made a comment, saw that the idea in my comment was rejected by some (who really do think the moon is upside down), and so I now DON'T read it anymore. They could rehash it for 72,000 more pages, but I don't have to read it or get all worked up about it. It's not my problem, and I really don't mind if they want to think whatever it is they want to think.
edit on 9-11-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Evern better soloution.

DONT READ IT!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't care where they put them, but I'd rather see a hundred doomsday threads (it is a conspiracy site, after all) than all these monotonous political trollbait threads.

Oh wait, you said Domesday. Is that when the sky falls in on 11/11/11 or something?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Domesday ? I am assuming that you were asleep for the construction of the Millenium Dome in London UK?

If Domesday was comming, its been and gone already!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I think it's a great idea. We can't lose sight of the fact that this IS a conspiracy website and the Doomsday scenario is part and parcel of that genre. For those who recommend that you just not read them if you're sick of them, it's somewhat impossible as I'm finding they have a way of leaking into threads on other topics as well and that's just plain annoying. By the time the mods have been alerted, the topic is derailed. I say "give the people what they want" and for those who want to discuss DD theories, provide them with a designated area.

Another point is that there are some people who truly get frantic from all of the DD talk and if it was separated under it's own section, then those more sensitive type of folks can steer clear of the section (or not and then they only have themselves to blame). Again, I think that this is a great idea!

Timidgal

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Ummmm ........ No.
That would be silly.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
OR....you could simply choose not to read them.

Instead of ridiculing them, stay away.

Could that solve your problem?

Well no, it could not solve my problem.

It is not always obvious that the thread is a Domesday scenario thread until you have read a substantial amount of it. I'd swear that some of them are deliberate trolling threads or there to waste folks time.

An example is asteroids or comets. I am interested in space, comets etc. I want to know about these things. However, I don't want to have to read Domesday threads with no real science in them just because of that interest. I'm interested in aliens and associated topics. However, I don't want to read the hundredth thread telling me aliens are coming to destroy our stupid race.

A forum for Domesday conspiracies and disasters could be the answer.
edit on 9/11/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well, we already have the Predictions & Prophecies forum, the 2012 forum, the Disaster Conspiracies forum, the Diseases & Pandemics forum and of course the Hoax forum. I would think that these forums that we already have should pretty much cover all the various doomsday (or domesday) scenarios.

And like others have already said - if you go onto a thread and find out it's another end of the world thread, just get out of it and go to another. If that's too much for you to handle you probably shouldn't be here in the first place. The mods kinda have their hands full with actual problems...
edit on 9-11-2011 by tallcool1 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

You could use the same argument against any forum existing. What do we need an astronomy one for if we already have a science one? Why do we need a 9/11 Forum? For the same reason we need a Domesday Forum in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

First, it's Doomsday, not domesday.

Second, I think it's a good idea but what i would do if I was ATS would be to expand the scope of the 2012 forum to include other doomsday scenarios. Maybe rename the 2012 forum to "2012/doomsday" and then in 2013 just rename it to "doomsday", provided we are all still here

In fact, if you look in the 2012 forum topics, it's already being used that way to some extent. The top thread on the forum as I write this is: My fellow "doomers" I salute you which is more a general doomsday topic than a 2012 topic.

I don't think we really need the 2012 forum plus another doomsday forum, but I'm all for expanding the scope of the 2012 forum. What will happen to the 2012 forum in 2013 anyway?

Believe me when I say we will still have doomsday scenarios in 2013 and beyond. Think ahead ATS.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Domesday Book (pronounced /ˈduːmzdeɪ/ or sometimes /ˈdoʊmzdeɪ/),[1][2] now held at The National Archives, Kew, Richmond upon Thames in South West London, is the record of the great survey of much of England and parts of Wales completed in 1086. The survey was executed for William I of England (William the Conqueror): "While spending the Christmas of 1085 in Gloucester, William had deep speech with his counsellors and sent men all over England to each shire to find out what or how much each landholder had in land and livestock, and what it was worth" (Anglo-Saxon Chronicle).
en.wikipedia.org...

As a kid back in 2000, we did a Nationwide project on the Domesday Book involving all schools in England. I have always spelt Doomsday that way ever since and NOBODY has ever pointed it out. How embarrassing.

Thanks to everyone who hasn't pointed it out to me!

Actually, that is a great idea. I'll change my suggestion to move it all to the 2012 forum and change it's name as Arbs suggests. Giving the 2012 forum longevity makes sense - assuming I am right in my assumption that it is bollox and we'll still be here.

ETA: Thanks for being the only person in my entire life who pointed that out. I'm starting to wonder whether I have any friends.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Thank you, I'm glad you took my correction in the constructive manner in which it was intended, rather than a criticism which it was not intended to be. Feel free to return the favor if you see me misspelling a word I shouldn't. Actually I often spell "it's" when I know it should be spelled "its", that's at least one bad spelling habit I have.

Also I'm not sure this thread is enough to initiate action but if you like that idea probably the best way to get the ball rolling is to submit the idea in a suggestion form. At the top click "tools" and then "complaints" and you'll see the form is for suggestions as well as complaints. I think that starts a new thread in a hidden area for staff only.

You could summarize your suggestion and maybe even include a link to this thread for reference.

I hope they make the change, it sounds like a good idea.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Thank you, I'm glad you took my correction in the constructive manner in which it was intended, rather than a criticism which it was not intended to be. Feel free to return the favor if you see me misspelling a word I shouldn't. Actually I often spell "it's" when I know it should be spelled "its", that's at least one bad spelling habit I have.

It's is correct if you mean an abbreviated it is. It's under the stairs would be correct.

I'm still getting my head around the fact that I haven't been told in all those years. In fact it wasn't 2000, it was 1986! Nobody even told me so I could correct the OP within edit time. You bastards!

The BBC Domesday Project - November 1986

I'll let this run then take your advice and do a suggestions form. It would be nice if admin bothered to comment on this forum as it's a pretty pointless if they don't.

ETA: 25 years and nobody told me. A quarter of a century!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I like the idea although it's a rare day I ever read the Doomsday-style threads. There are far too many hysterical and/or dishonest members in them and it's fair enough to let them all get their buzz on by spooking each other. They're doom-junkies with selective amnesia who swap one failed nightmare for another without blushing or looking back.

Collecting them in one forum might appeal to them.

reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

Here's an example: there's a thread that keeps growing where some people are convinced the moon is upside down and other people are trying to convince them it isn't.

We've always got one of these on the boil - the sun has moved, New Zealand has moved, celebrity died last year and is now at No 1, Elenin, 2012 etc etc. I'm still going to have a look at the 'upside down Moon' thread because I haven't seen it and it's probably funny.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
here is a thought if we are still here after the first of the year , why not call it the 2012mega doom and gloom forum any and all doom and gloom thoughts and ideas could go in there, from the pole shift is gona do us in to Obama is go'na do us in, win or lose, N Korea has new nuke that makes all look small, and it fits in your palm, bought from Iran. 12 21 12 the day that time and matter stood still, then if we go in to 2013??? call it 2012 +1 same forum with all the post and threads.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Collecting them in one forum might appeal to them.
It would definitely appeal to a lot of members who won't spend much time there. If it were up to me we'd call it "The Selective Amnesia Forum".

Originally posted by Kandinsky
We've always got one of these on the boil - the sun has moved, New Zealand has moved, celebrity died last year and is now at No 1, Elenin, 2012 etc etc. I'm still going to have a look at the 'upside down Moon' thread because I haven't seen it and it's probably funny.

I've resisted so far but I'll end up in a face off with someone and be the source of your amusement most likely. You're right though, it has to be amusing. If they're serious then....

That's another vote for then. You never know, they MIGHT listen to this suggestion if we get a few more (prays silently).

MOD NOTE: : If you read this could you kindly correct my spelling mistake in the OP title at least. I'd be ever so grateful...
edit on 10/11/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Here is my DOOMS DAY prediction, i predict that the world will end "ONE DAY". it probably wont be for a million years or something but at some point it will end.

Now there is no need for anyone to post any more predictions

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join