It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am an idiot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hello i am mthgs602,

I just attempted to write something long and hopefully entertaining but i dont care to be so intricate at the moment and grew frustrated so i deleted it all ha ha. I just want to get my point across as its coming to me.

Been on ats for around a year now. Loved it at first. Couldnt stop talking about it, couldnt stop thinking about it, couldnt stop anything about it. All this guy wanted to do was hit up ATS and see what else crazy was going on in the world.

It opened my eyes to a much larger world than i knew. Though i am in the Navy and have traveled to and fro i still had not seen anything really. I didnt ever really hear about much. Just another port with a 7/11. But then ATS came and holly WOW was there a bunch going on in the world. Brightened my day, i felt like there were crazy things going on in the world that were trying to be "hush hush" BUT i knew about them!!!

I kept saying "Thank god for independant news sources". I felt like a snickering child sitting in his corner because he knew things that others didnt and he really felt important. Hes got "all the answers".

Well now its been a year. Strange times now. Gut wrenching times. All gut wrenching for nothing though as i see it.

Top topics as per the moment include some very enticing articles

"Impact Warning Theory"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"YU55 closer than JPL indicates"

and this one is my favorite

"It all end Monday [UPDATED]

When i first delved into these i was very......not excited per say...or scared.......i guess alive. I felt an ENERGY inside that i have been missing. They were put together so well, and i thought that they seemed plausible. I mean come on the big red x on google? All the timing?!

So what im trying to say is that.....none of it EVER happens. It just never occurs. And a lot will say these are doom and gloom, but really that thing would have made some mean tsunamis but....we would have been fine based on the "predictions and all the calculations". So in other words, i believed that we were going to get hit by a carrier ripping through space and i also believed that come monday there would be crap everywhere as the markets miserably failed.. I waitied every night thinking "one more day, one more day" and it will be here. I was so sure of it.

But nothing happened and now i sit here saying "Why the hell" Why the hell did i fall for even a second of it. Why the hell are these top topics issues!? Why why why are we suckers? Is our attention being diverted from something else?

See when I pick up the national enquirer, Its because im bored and i want to see a funny story that someone fabricated for entertainment purposes. But when i come to ATS im looking for the next big story.

But everything has its smoke and im starting to believe more and more that this site is turning into a "mainstream" source for goofy stories and cheap thrills. I was a sucker, but now i am introverted.

TAKE YOUR TIME ATS. Research the issue THOROUGHLY.

P.S. Please no "you must have been this as a child" or "Get off the drugs and check into rehab". Its a load of s***. You dont really know anything about me other than im currently a bit distraught and that of my posting history. Do me a favor and keep all "Physchiatric opinions" and "Life experience" opinions to yourselves. Half the members here now a days immedietaly assume there is something wrong with another member and find themeselves thrashing about with rude comments.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mthgs602
But everything has its smoke and im starting to believe more and more that this site is turning into a "mainstream" source for goofy stories and cheap thrills.

And its clear that ATS management dont care, otherwise they would have done something, anything at all, to stop it happening.
It used to be that the motto here was "Deny Ignorance".
Nowdays its more like "OMG look at this youtube video!!!!!"

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There will always be threads like those here. They usually get cornered by the lack of facts and sources, and never really do much of anything except get attention & scare people who can't research on their own.

Walking away from a thread like those without knowing one way or the other if it's factual or not is an incomplete outlook on said topic. Go back and read all the comments and click on all the links by the debunkers. 99% of the time one will walk away from the topic after figuring out that it's just fear mongering for attention.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by mthgs602
But everything has its smoke and im starting to believe more and more that this site is turning into a "mainstream" source for goofy stories and cheap thrills.

And its clear that ATS management dont care, otherwise they would have done something, anything at all, to stop it happening.

Yes that is spot on. I admit i was REALLY starting to fall into that crowd, but today it hit me real hard and i felt i had to write about it.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
There will always be threads like those here. They usually get cornered by the lack of facts and sources, and never really do much of anything except get attention & scare people who can't research on their own.

Walking away from a thread like those without knowing one way or the other if it's factual or not is an incomplete outlook on said topic. Go back and read all the comments and click on all the links by the debunkers. 99% of the time one will walk away from the topic after figuring out that it's just fear mongering for attention.

See that had a role to play with me. I started going from page to page, comment after comment, and i was slowly finding the real raw story.....that there was no real story to begin with. A fluke

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Being new to this world of ATS , I too feel alot like mthgs602 ! And thank-You for bringing this up ! I fell for the whole yu55 nonsense and a few other posts !! I have a strong belief in life outside our planet , but you really have to sift through a heluva lot of B.S to find anything credible ? I think we owe it to all the ATS community to call out all the nutjobs and wanna-be prophets and not let the threads go on endlessly by urging these people on !

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
ATS is frequently a sounding board for theories. It's not a secret. I have seen so many of these "I'm disillusioned with ATS" threads. Why? ATS is what it is. There's good and bad information anywhere you go. There are people here from all walks of life. From "normal" to fanatical. This is a place where you can share your thoughts and posit your theories on anything. Well, almost anything. So now we're going to censor and persecute people because their theory was wrong?

Maybe those who get so upset when predictions don't come true, or someones theory doesn't pan out, need to find a different forum.

Don't blame the OP if the world didn't come to an end when he/she said it would. Blame yourself.
edit on 11/9/2011 by Klassified because: spelling

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mthgs602

Seems like you are learning to think more critically. That in itself as valuable skill. If you can apply this to the threads and comments you read here you can find many important topics have been well thought out from multiple points of view.

That is where the real value in ATS is, when you are able to complete a well rounded picture of a story or new information by carefully considering all the different points of view you will be ably to truly decide for yourself where the truth lies and what is important to you.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Another ATSer summed it up perfectly, I cant remember who though but I admit its not mine

"ATS was created for people who are too smart to be distracted by Farmville"

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
ATS is frequently a sounding board for theories. It's not a secret. I have seen so many of these "I'm disillusioned with ATS" threads. Why? ATS is what it is. There's good and bad information anywhere you go. There are people here from all walks of life. From "normal" to fanatical. This is a place where you can share your thoughts and posit your theories on anything. Well, almost anything. So now we're going to censor and persecute people because their theory was wrong?

Maybe those who get so upset when predictions don't come true, or someones theory doesn't pan out, need to find a different forum.

Don't blame the OP if the world didn't come to an end when he/she said it would. Blame yourself.
edit on 11/9/2011 by Klassified because: spelling

Ya the title of the thread says, "Im an idiot"
Just sayin

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

No offence intended. You are obviously not an idiot. Or you wouldn't have had enough independent thought to post this to start with.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You'd prefer that we censor content?

No, that's a slippery slope that nobody wants to go down. However, like your You-Tube video post example, we do encourage the member to then expound on it, such as what do you think about it? Why do you feel that way, etc.

One person's truth is another person's crackpot theory, so we won't be looking to censor content other than the guidelines set in the Terms and Conditions.

new topics

top topics

join