It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart wants to be your doctor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wal-Mart Plans Ambitious Expansion Into Medical Care

Wal-Mart wants to be your doctor.

The nation's largest retailer is planning to offer medical services ranging from the management of diabetes to HIV infections, NPR and Kaiser Health News have learned.

In the same week in late October that Wal-Mart said it would stop offering health insurance benefits to new part-time employees, the retailer sent out a request for partners to help it "dramatically ... lower the cost of healthcare ... by becoming the largest provider of primary healthcare services in the nation."

On Tuesday, Wal-Mart spokeswoman Tara Raddohl confirmed the proposal. She declined to elaborate on specifics, calling it simply an effort to determine "strategic next steps."

The 14-page request, which you can read here, asks firms to spell out their expertise in a wide variety of areas, including managing and monitoring patients with chronic, costly health conditions. Partners are to be selected in January.

Analysts said Wal-Mart is likely positioning itself to boost store traffic, possibly by expanding the number of its in-store medical clinics and the services they offer.

The move would also capitalize on growing demand for primary care in 2014, when the federal health law fully kicks in and millions more Americans are expected to have government or private health insurance.

Read more here: www.npr.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Everyone I know who requires Wal*Mart for their prescription needs are either elderly with legitimate medical issues, or they received drive-thru medical care and are needing their scripts filled for some nonsense diagnosis.

I posted a thread about how some doctors are compromised by big pharma and are prescribing unnecessary medications to people...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

With the insanity surrounding healthcare these days, this announcement doesn't surprise any of us I'm sure.

new topics

join