It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God Satan? Could everything we know about the Abrahamic faiths be backwards?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yeah, yeah. Say your little magic words and you're safe for another day from what ever is evil in the world. I'm sure that all the people praying for all the people in hospitals all over the world will prevent their deaths. I'm sure when people prayed at Pompeii for Zeus to stop the flow, they were saved. I'm sure that during the holocaust, all those faithful servants of God were spared from the reaper the moment they bent down and prayed.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden

Originally posted by Deflagration
reply to post by CherubBaby

If you're always turning to God to save you, how can you ever save yourself?

On the off chance there is no God.

Who among you fears the LORD
and obeys the word of his servant?
Let the one who walks in the dark,
who has no light,
trust in the name of the LORD
and rely on their God.
But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go, walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment.

Isaiah 50:10-11

And that doesn't show how sinister "God" is ?
...If you dont follow my words you will get tormentet, tortured and burn in hell for eternity....
sounds more like dictatorship than religion to me, maybe the poster is correct in hes idea about God being satan in disguise. (not that i believe in any of them)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Anyone remember that part in the Bible where god makes some fellows drink from a stream. Two of them get down on their knees and drink from it, but one guy cups his hands and drinks the water from his hands. God then opens up the ground for the two who drank from the river while on their knees, and the ground eats them. How's that supposed to be an action from a benevolent god? Or when he tried to get Abe to sacrifice his son? Even if he repented, that's asking a father to kill his son. If I heard a voice from God telling me to kill my son, I'd ascribe it to schizophrenia. Anyway, isn't hearing voices alleged a sign of possession in Abrahamic religion?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The problem has always been that Judaism and Christianity borrowed very heavily from Zoroastrianism in an attempt to give their teachings a little bit of balance, and to keep a single, all-powerful deity from being both the "good guy," worthy or worship for all the wonders of existence, and the "bad guy," for creating a world filled with seemingly endless random horrors. So you need God, and you need some kind of opposite force, which is Satan (Ahriman).

Except for complete idiots, however, this has never worked well. There's almost no way to have an all-powerful being avoid the blame for bad things happening in life, too, even if you try to blame it on the Devil, or people (because of their free will), or chalk it all up to God having some mysterious plan that we're not capable of understanding. But unfortunately there are enough complete idiots to have kept the mythology alive this long.

You'd think that mass education and communication and things like the Internet would eventually get rid of all that nonsense, but then you'd be underestimating the utter grinding stupidity of the average person.

edit on 9-11-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If creationism is true, then god is a rather sick being. Ever hear of the Ichneumonidae wasp? Lays it's eggs inside living insects, which eat them from the inside then burrow out. If God's the devil, that's exactly the sort of creation I'd expect from him. Also things like war, famine, and disease on a regular basis. Beings created in his image scamming their elderly of their pensions, bankers worshipping money with "In God We Trust" on it, when it's supposed to be the root of all evil. It's a laugh and a half.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
Ever hear of the Ichneumonidae wasp? Lays it's eggs inside living insects, which eat them from the inside then burrow out. If God's the devil, that's exactly the sort of creation I'd expect from him.

Makes you wonder why we don't we get rid of those wasps.

Edit: Hey you know something guys, maybe we ARE supposed to get rid of those wasps.
edit on 9-11-2011 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
From my perspective you can look at Lucifer as a bringer of light and knowledge. God on the other hand is the bringer of death and destruction to anyone who disobeys him. Eve disobeys him and eats an apple, Gods punishment is that all mankind from there on out would roast in a pit of fire for all eternity after they lived a harsh life on the planet. It all seems a little ass backwards if you ask me. The good guy kills people, the bad guy opposes the good guy.

Also, why would an omnipotent being need to have a son, go and live a life on earth, just so he can be brutally crucified after 30 or so years, just so he can 'save' Man? Wouldn't it have been prudent to just say, 'Ah well, I created them, I guess I'll let 'em in when they die.'

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
so the illuminati are fighting for our right to live free and worship the right god? or what? who is who?
is this going back thousands of years to that council of nycea and beyond?

the concept of a god still baffles me to no end. I know a lot of you are truly devout to the idea.
But to myself, it almost degenerates the greatness of nature and the infinite universe i've come to view as a true creator.
one that is unaware of it's creations. a god would not force this on anyone.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

"the concept of a god still baffles me to no end"
Which is why I stressed giving that site a good once-over...there's some really good stuff there that would at least give you a good idea about it

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterFister103
From my perspective you can look at Lucifer as a bringer of light and knowledge. God on the other hand is the bringer of death and destruction to anyone who disobeys him. Eve disobeys him and eats an apple, Gods punishment is that all mankind from there on out would roast in a pit of fire for all eternity after they lived a harsh life on the planet. It all seems a little ass backwards if you ask me. The good guy kills people, the bad guy opposes the good guy.

Also, why would an omnipotent being need to have a son, go and live a life on earth, just so he can be brutally crucified after 30 or so years, just so he can 'save' Man? Wouldn't it have been prudent to just say, 'Ah well, I created them, I guess I'll let 'em in when they die.'

LOL...The apple thing is a metaphor that can be applied to many things in life. Not that you shouldn't eat apples.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The Cathars believed much the same thing. They were massacred in the 14th century by the Catholic Church.
Below is a link to a picture of a shrine where they were burned to death, in the South of France.img.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Satan=Ego... Transcending the ego is the root of all religion basically. "Not my will by thy will be done." What is the will of God? Love one another.

What is Love? Love is putting the needs of others ahead of your own.

But that's just my opinion... I'm probably wrong.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The will of God involves tons and tons of killing. Remember the crusades? Remember when Moses came down from the mountain, and saw the golden calf and slaughtered those folks? "Hey, folks. I'm Yahweh. I love each and every one of you, but I SWEAR TO ME I'LL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN ME!" Peace and love... Right. Totally congruent with the portrayal of God in the Old Testament.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
So confused this world is nowadays. Very sad.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeramie
So confused this world is nowadays. Very sad.

Read a little bit of history. It's always been this way. The difference is now we get all the news immediately and right in our faces. In the old days, you'd have to go all the way to into the village and talk to people in the market about it.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Personally, I'm glad for the information I have as a modern citizen. With the internet, information travels freer than ever before. Discussion is possible without having people get in your face about it if they disagree with you. Or label you a heretic. I suppose you'd like less confusing times where they'd burn you at the stake if you asked confusing or thought provoking questions?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypattia
The Cathars believed much the same thing. They were massacred in the 14th century by the Catholic Church.
Below is a link to a picture of a shrine where they were burned to death, in the South of France.img.abovetopsecret.com...

Supposedly The Cathars were a Christian sect.

Catharism (from Greek: καθαρὀς, katharos, pure)[1] was a name given to a Christian religious sect with dualistic and gnostic elements that appeared in the Languedoc region of France and other parts of Europe in the 11th century and flourished in the 12th and 13th centuries.

en.wikipedia.org...

There are also many who believe they never even existed, and i have to say i have not seen any good sources of their existence or what\who they were.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Way to skim the article. The Cathars were kind of a spin off of Gnostic. They believed in both a spiritual god, and a physical god. The physical god, they called Rex Mundi. To the Cathars, the physical world, matter, and the suffering that went along with it were the creations of Rex Mundi. This did not jive well with the Catholic and Christian teachings that God created the earth, as the Earth is made of matter, and this would mean that the Christian god would be this Rex Mundi figure. So, the Christians being compassionate sorts rounded them up, and slaughtered them en masse during the crusades for practicing wrong-think.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
Way to skim the article. The Cathars were kind of a spin off of Gnostic. They believed in both a spiritual god, and a physical god. The physical god, they called Rex Mundi. To the Cathars, the physical world, matter, and the suffering that went along with it were the creations of Rex Mundi. This did not jive well with the Catholic and Christian teachings that God created the earth, as the Earth is made of matter, and this would mean that the Christian god would be this Rex Mundi figure. So, the Christians being compassionate sorts rounded them up, and slaughtered them en masse during the crusades for practicing wrong-think.

Are you serious?

Post some sources, should be interesting.

edit on 9-11-2011 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The very wikipedia link you posted but apparently didn't read. Beyond that, there are sources with the wikipedia article that are accurate if you doubt the reliability of the article itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join