It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shock finding: More than 75 percent of all 'honey' sold in grocery stores contains no honey at a

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Shock finding: More than 75 percent of all 'honey' sold in grocery stores contains no honey at all

www.naturalnews.com

Bryant found that 76 percent of "honey" samples purchased from major grocery store chains like Kroger and Safeway, and 77 percent of samples purchased from big box chains like Sam's Club and Wal-Mart, did not contain any pollen. Even worse were "honey" samples taken from drug stores like Walgreens and CVS, and fast food restaurants like McDonald's and KFC, 100 percent of which were found to contain not a trace of pollen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
More and more, we seem to be finding that food products are not always what they appear to be. From wood pulp to dyes to antibiotics, and more. Foreign substances keep making their way into food, and nutrients seem to be making their way out.

I guess we can now add honey to a growing list of foods that aren't exactly food.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Always buy your honey from a local beekeeper. You know what you're getting that way. Also, allergies can be helped out by eating local honey as well, since the bees make the honey from the local flora...which those with allergies are allergic to.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Shock finding: More than 75 percent of all 'honey' sold in grocery stores contains no honey at all

I've learned not to believe anything written at naturalnews.com.
There have been way too many threads on ATS where the naturalnews story has just turned out to be fearmongering lies.
Especially by Ethan Huff.

Is there any other source to back up this claim?

edit on 9-11-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

link   
It's like out of 1984, or Soylent Green. Quite almost like we're turning into a dystopia. Fake food, poisoned water, cameras everywhere. It's a rich man's world, and a poor man's nightmare.

link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Excellent advice. And what I've done for a long time.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I read a really good article about honey fraud, apparently it is really prevalent. Suppliers in china cut their honey with high fructose corn syrup, and then ship it to another country where they middle-man with suppliers to the US.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This does not mean that this is some sort of synthetic substitute. To clarify from the article cited:

"According to FSN, the lack of pollen in most conventional "honey" products is due to these products having been ultra-filtered. This means that they have been intensely heated, forced through extremely tiny filters, and potentially even watered down or adulterated in some way prior to hitting store shelves.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) holds the position that any so-called honey products that have been ultra-filtered are not actually honey."

In other words it is not "honey" according to the FDA definition...
edit on 9-11-2011 by TheFlash because: correct punctuation

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Always buy your honey from a local beekeeper. You know what you're getting that way. Also, allergies can be helped out by eating local honey as well, since the bees make the honey from the local flora...which those with allergies are allergic to.

Well yeah and do it fast before Monsanto makes that illegal too!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I'm still doing some looking into this myself, but here's one link I've found about Chinese honey.
Honey Laundering...

ETA:

The procedure is sometimes used to make honey appear clearer or to extend its shelf life, but Food Safety News said its primary use is to mask the presence of contaminants in illegally imported foreign honey. More than three-quarters of the honey from stores such as Safeway, Costco, Walmart and Target had all of the pollen removed, according to the study. All of the honey tested from drugstores such as CVS Pharmacy and in individual packets served at McDonald’s and KFC was devoid of pollen. But all of the samples from farmers markets and stores such as Trader Joe's had normal amounts of pollen, as did most containers labeled as organic.

edit on 11/9/2011 by Klassified because: Re: eta

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

Thanks, I was just checking to see if anyone had posted this yet. Not having pollen doesn't mean it wasn't made from nectar by bees, and the FDA's simply retarded, for oh-so-many reasons.

Ultrafiltering:

Ultrafiltered honey is processed by very fine filtration under high pressure to remove all extraneous solids and pollen grains. The process typically heats honey to 150–170 °F (approx. 65–77 °C) to more easily pass through the fine filter. Ultrafiltered honey is very clear and has a longer shelf life; it crystallizes more slowly because the high temperature breaks down sugar seed crystals, making it preferred by the supermarket trade.

edit on 11/9/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

There have been way too many threads on ATS where the naturalnews story has just turned out to be fearmongering lies.

I think the source may be exaggerating, but I have seen similar stories in the past, some seemed pretty well documented. One report in particular stands out in my mind, I'll try to find it again sometime and post it in thread(I would now, but I don't have time, I was just checking in).

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Local, raw honey is the only kind that's good enough for my bum.

So I'm good!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think it is more important to know the brand names rather than the stores.
The stores do not make the product, they only sell it.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Well, I took the time to read the reference cited by naturalnews, that of foodsafetynews and sure enough, the naturalnews claim "contains no honey at all" is a complete lie, or at least very misleading based on semantic definitions of "honey".

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Raw and unfiltered. I like the little chunks.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I think it is more important to know the brand names rather than the stores.
The stores do not make the product, they only sell it.

Problem is the big brands often use multiple suppliers with numerous sources. You probably could find a good smaller organic brand if you wanted consistent real honey.

Oh, here was the story I was looking for about how counterfeit honey makes it's way into the US.
www.grist.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The Amish around me buy their honey in 55 gallon drums from Argentina , then repackage it into bottles with there own label.

This is not illegal, but when one buys Amish, at least I am under the implied impression that it is from their own community’s production. This is not always the case. In their defense they never said that they produced the honey.

edit on 9-11-2011 by brokedown because: spelling correction

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Whereas I don't agree. The health food articles are based on real studies.

Perhaps you should search for this:

For the investigation, Vaughn Bryant, one of the nation's leading melissopalynologists, or experts in identifying pollen in honey, and director of the Palynology Research Laboratory at Texas A&M University, evaluated more than 60 products labeled as "honey" that had been purchased by FSN from ten states and the District of Columbia.

www.naturalnews.com...

www.foodsafetynews.com...

Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey
Ultra-filtering Removes Pollen, Hides Honey Origins

This gives in depth list of products to avoid. Including ORGANIC!!!!
edit on 9-11-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Hah...you had to mention chunks when I was already thinking of honey as bee puke...:

In the hive, the bees use their "honey stomachs" to ingest and regurgitate the nectar a number of times until it is partially digested. The bees work together as a group with the regurgitation and digestion until the product reaches a desired quality. It is then stored in honeycomb cells.
(Wikipedia).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join