It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't think your own thoughts; they just *happen*

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deflagration
How can this be? I'm sure you'll ask. You'll likely say that you're choosing to respond to this right now, am I correct?

But really, that cannot be farther from the truth. You are merely a vessel of life in the ever-active universe. The thoughts you are thinking now, you are not choosing them, they are simply happening as a result of an external stimulus.

The self does not exist. *You* do not exist - at least in the way you probably think you do.

Right now, chemical reactions are occurring in my brain based on the reactions of external stimuli. I am merely a life form. It is our experiences that make us what we are, not our choices. After all, when it comes down to it, free will does not actually exist.

They are one and the same.

You're funny though, keep going.. You're almost there.

Free will must be exercised. For most people free will does not exist *as it should* and most people will only exercise their free will in certain situations, or when they are around certain people.

You have this absolutely and completely backwards.
I am choosing these words and manifesting them in the external world, interacting with you, another SELF, who also came up with words internally to manifest them into the world as this post, externally.

All there is, is our internal understandings manifest onto the shadow of the world, we give it the forms, colors and actions which we classify as external to ourselves. Yet it is all one and the same thing. Same as physics, when you get right down to it, we and everything in the universe is made from the same building blocks.

Those chemical reactions you are talking about can be altered and our internal states can affect the way we process the external world around us, much in the same way that Derren Brown put a young man into trance and had him sit in an ice bath at almost 0 degrees, essentially it was just about to turn into a solid block of ice and the young man sat in the water for longer than 2 minutes all because of an internal belief, he literally thought the water was room-temperature and once Derren cleared the suggestion he jumped out of the water immediately.

Yes he was actually cold, (they had those heat signature cameras to show the difference)
My point is that you have a ways to go yet before you understand how this all goes together, keep looking and learning though.... It gets a lot more interesting; I can't wait to see what I learn next

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely
precisely that is the present fact, all criminals out of prison forever in all levels of powerful evil ones

it is hell now to rights that inherently are free, forced now to get encaged by what was forced to respect existence right ways, which reveal that hell by definition is created as a word to mean absolute true rights possessions forever by evil life existence realities

I think my brain just had a divide by zero episode while reading that.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

also ur thoughts could be created by you, when ur freedom is not objective then u r disconnected from truth that leave u there to urself existence own fact by itself free subjective will

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Our thoughts are truly not our own, they are merely recycled and reactive. But we do have the power to accept or reject them. It is not the issue of the thought that is important, It is our identification with the thought.

This is why mind control is so effective. Any human being, believing they are not in control of their mind is susceptible to manipulation. If one does not believe they have free will it is easy to modify or distort perception, motivation, affect, cognition and behavioral outcomes.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Deflagration

I think
you contradicted yourself in your post.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by binkbonk
This type of pondering has caused me to take some interesting paths in life. I have lived life on the edge, caused by the frustrations and summaries of over thinking what needs not be thought about. It's like blinking, or breathing, if I give enough thought to those things I will # them up. But, basically, in the end all of this means nothing. There is no meaning, there is no reason... Except, maybe we are an avatar for our higher selves, and this life is just for fun, like a video game. Maybe we are nothing more than electrical impulse trapped inside a hologram.

Yer close. It can be described as a video game. In a way. Sort of. "We" are not actually here, well, most of us aren't. There are people here who are not soul carriers. They are mere animals and without any reason, logic or true thought. Just emotions and actions and a skewed sense of self. But ignoring those types, most of us inhabit an Earth suit. Of course actions start before thoughts do. We are using these human suits and it takes time for the signal to translate into thoughts and actions. When we die, we "wake up" and it's game over. Then we are judged by how we acted in the game. Oh yeah, things done here have consequences there. Sometimes we can play again. That is called reincarnation.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

how everyone take that logics as a fact, prove that evil possess all existence facts

how any nothing to everything that is forced to survive and pretend existing from its will to, could make any credit to justify judges life to be

only evil powerful life would invent its constant gain powers from such creations of realities ends

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deflagration
How can this be? I'm sure you'll ask. You'll likely say that you're choosing to respond to this right now, am I correct?

But really, that cannot be farther from the truth. You are merely a vessel of life in the ever-active universe. The thoughts you are thinking now, you are not choosing them, they are simply happening as a result of an external stimulus.

The self does not exist. *You* do not exist - at least in the way you probably think you do.

Right now, chemical reactions are occurring in my brain based on the reactions of external stimuli. I am merely a life form. It is our experiences that make us what we are, not our choices. After all, when it comes down to it, free will does not actually exist.

I agree with this. I find myself reviewing my last few minutes and then realize that I didn't necessarily consciously participate in much of the actions that led to this moment. That indicates to me that my "freewill" is something that is not much needed, so I can just coast by on auto pilot and get to where I need to be.

I do believe we have free will of awareness. In that we can choose whether or not to consciously participate in our activities. Other than that, the illusion of free will is supported only by the ego, imo.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
When I'm conscious I program my subconscious. That way when I'm on autopilot at least it's doing what I told it to do.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

This is very true. Everything you do is a reaction from external stimuli but

Free will doesnt exist

This is not true. You are conscious of yourself and thoughts so therefore have the ability to act or not act on these thoughts. Just because you think something doesnt mean you have to believe it or do it. You have a choice in what to believe and what to do, you are just usually influenced by 1,000 different things at once. Unplug yourself from the machine and find your true self.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I can see some validity to the statement that our thoughts are initiated by external stimuli when we're in a conscious state but then how would you explain why we dream? It is said that dreams are a way of our subconscious to send us messages or help us to work out certain problems or blocks in our lives (stated in a simplified fashion) - how could that be possible if all thoughts are outside of our control and merely the result of external stimuli?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join