It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Dear Mister, in case you did not know, last night was Halloween."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Halloween was observed Oct 31 2011, and if you have had the joyful opportunity of walking your children door to door in the cold (it was -3 Celsius 26.6 Fahrenheit where I am) you know that not all or your neighbours partake in the festivities. I myself have to close up for a while so that I can take my Daughter on her rounds.

It appears that in one Oshawa Ontario neighbourhood, kids have taken offense to homes that have opted to skip the fun. Tom Ibbitson, a 26 year old Toronto Hydro worker decided to spend the evening with a few buddies rather than hand out candy. The letter he received the next day will just floor you.

Full Story.

The letter recommends Ibbitson hand out chocolate bars because that is their preference. It suggests if he feels bad to go out and buy some chocolate, because it's “cheap now,” and "deliver" it to area kids.

Tom Has written a response which can be found here. Here.

Tom has decided to take the kids recommendation with one exception.... he and his buddies are going to eat the chocolate on his front porch.

I have gone out and bought a ridiculous amount of candy, and I intend to spend an entire day on my deck Saturday, eating them all with my friends. I invite you to come over and enjoy watching us eat these, and possibly make yourself useful cleaning up the wrappers.

I think this highlights a growing issue with our society. Kids these days believe they are entitled to whatever they want. They no longer believe they have to work for rewards. Very sad state of affairs.

edit on 9-11-2011 by LordHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I would never let my kids go trick or treating!it is basic begging-which has somehow now came to Britian.I had the little tinks at my door and said ''no thank you '' and shut the door.in Scotland we used to have guysing which is basically asking for a penny for the guy(as in guy fawkes on 5th november),just as minky!
edit on 9/11/2011 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is amazing. I'm so glad he responded like he did.

We're working so hard to raise good kids. We get two comments, repeatedly:

1) They're the best kids (the commenter) has ever seen;

and

2) We are mean parents.

Most of the kids we see are entitled, bossing their parents, misbehaving with no boundaries or repercussions. It's appalling.

BTW... what is the name of the caveman on your avatar??? I recognize him! But cannot place him...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Already posted last week: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I see something very interesting in the supposed letter left by the kids.

The first part says they used to get candy apples from the lady who used to live there (she made them).

farther in the letter they say, don't give us apples, we can't accept anything that's not prewrapped.

If they can only accept things that are prewrapped then they could not accept the home made candy apples from the lady who used to live there

can't have it both ways!

I do like the guys response!!!

edit on 9-11-2011 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

I know the feeling, I get looks from other parents when I tell my Daughter "No, you cannot have that"

Its Captain Caveman.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Sorry, ATS search didnt show any hits.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
to me it just oozes right wing propaganda news and mindset to get the nut jobs angry with today's youth who may have a sense of entitlement and wish to express themselves in a non violent way......to me dire consequences would be a flaming bag of poo or some rotten eggs not a well written(especially for some young kids) polite letter...if you read some of the comments left on the yahoo article you will see some dark hatred and aggressive opinions it has inspired in some people against today's youth

I would be happy if my 4 year old could write a letter using terms such as "rectify" as well as being aware that you can buy things for less after the marketing buzz is over...I believe if my kids felt so strongly about something and had to express themselves in a non violent way I would support them...the last thing we need is another generation who does not express themselves when they think something is wrong... besides the whole story looks totally fabricated to me

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
ROFL.... Oh his reply is just classic. The original letter sent by the "children" (punks in training is probably closer to a true description) is outrageous and any parents who knew about it ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Look at it this way...This bunch of kids has all the right opinions and world outlook to be in their version of the protest camps when they grow up and find they're not making it very well in life. They need not wonder too hard why that may be. I think it's pretty obvious.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Parenting is a lost art form in America, so this is not surprising.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Oh, no way!! That guy handled it very well. I would have blown my stack, gone to every house in the neighborhood with kids and had it out with their parents.

First of all, not everybody celebrates Halloween. It is not mandatory, and there are a bunch of reasons why a house might not want to give out candy. Perhaps for religious reasons, or maybe because the prices of candy (especially chocolate) really go up around Halloween and you could spend $100 or more on candy for a bunch of ungrateful brats.

When my kids were little, we took them out trick-or-treating like most parents do. I would explain to my kids that, if the porch light was off at a house, that meant they weren't giving out candy. My oldest daughter, when she was 4, didn't like that idea and ran up to a house that had it's lights off. Before I could stop her, she marched inside, where the residents were inside watching TV, and demanded candy. I ran up, dragged her out and gave her a loud scolding for invading their privacy and demanding candy when they obviously didn't want to give any. I can still see the faces of this elderly couple, they were flabbergasted and just sat there with their jaws on the ground. Yikes.

This child is now in the US military. LOL.

As the kids grew up and moved out, it became not only grossly expensive, but also a real pain in the rear, to give out candy on Halloween. We stopped doing it and would keep the lights out and lock the door. We would still get kids pounding on our doors until 11:30 at night. The next year, we put a blockade up at the front door with chairs, and a large sign was taped on it "SORRY NO CANDY". The kids just pushed the chairs out of the way and rang the bell anyway.

This was our first year out in the country, where the nearest home is over a mile away, and they don't have kids at home any more either. It was blissful. No pestering, and no big bowls of candy to tempt me.

Kids seem to think that all houses should be wellsprings of candy on Halloween, and it is up to the parents to explain to them that not everybody wants to, or can afford to, give out candy, and they should respect that.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Thats some nice punctuation from the "Children of the hood".
Even got the proper we're spelling, got the caps right, etc...one would almost think this letter was a hoax by someone trying to make some ridiculous point about...something (get to use the word entitlement in a negative light again to program the subconsicous mind for next years political run).

Dear hoaxer of letter...when pretending to write a letter from a kid, make sure to make some odd grammar mistakes here and there, and misspell the odd common word or two.

Kind Regards

a 4 year old.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Thats some nice punctuation from the "Children of the hood".
Even got the proper we're spelling, got the caps right, etc...one would almost think this letter was a hoax by someone trying to make some ridiculous point about...something (get to use the word entitlement in a negative light again to program the subconsicous mind for next years political run).

Dear hoaxer of letter...when pretending to write a letter from a kid, make sure to make some odd grammar mistakes here and there, and misspell the odd common word or two.

Kind Regards

a 4 year old.

You mean those kids weren't a living metaphor for the OWS people?! Really? But that letter fits so well with so many pet talking points that people like to steam about when they see minorities drive cars built after 1980!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
On halloween, I put a note on my front door.

"Dear Trick or Treaters.

This isn't America.

Come back on Nov 5 for 'Penny for the Guy' and you'll have more luck."

I only had one knock, followed by an egg to the window when I didn't answer.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'd suggest he give out brussel sprouts next halloween... kids love brussel sprouts

new topics

top topics

join