It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Dog is a Serious Commitment (Cats Too!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for sharing.............priceless really made my day. Nothing like kids, dogs and Elvis!

Talented kids!!!

Very pretty artwork.

Speaking of turtles, my husband said when he was out walking Lucy they came across a turtle as big as a dinner plate

edit on 9-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Yep, that one is the trouble maker!
He locked himself in there. He locked himself in a bathroom at Qdoba Grill 2 nights ago, and he couldn't figure out how to unlock it, and it was a big heavy solid wood door, and I thought we were gonna have to break him out! He has fallen out of my jeep (while it was parked at least), and he falls in the pool regularly. He is a menace, but we love him anyway, LOL!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Parrots live for something like 60 years and if they are not interacted with enough pull their feathers out and do all kinds of strange things.

Our tortoises are only about 2 years old, and they should live to be 150 or so! They will be in the family for a VERY LONG time, LOL! They will get up to about 250 lbs over the next 20 years, and we'll be able to let them roam freely in the yard. By the time I have grandkids, they should be able to ride them and take them to school for show and tell!

They will likely outlive the grandkids that I don't even have yet. That is something to think about! Imagine generations from me, that never met me, talking to the turtles and saying, "What was great-great grandpa getreadyalready really like?"

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FejkNick

Yes I love kitties too!

Feel free to show off your companions.............tag a picture on, would love to see your buddies.

With all the depressed hateful stuff going on in the world we need pictures now and then of happy kids and companion animals - something to raise our ATS spirits.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I can't believe people do that.

Honestly, I wish I had never got my dog with as much as I love her. It's a lot of work sometimes. But I could never just leave her behind.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I am a 'petmom' to 2 wonderful, crazy beagles. They are my kids and I treat them as full members of my family.

Dogs (or cats for that matter) are not just things that are around for our amusement - they are living creatures that require attention and care. I know far too many people who have animals simply because it is 'cool'.

Many people say that animals don't have personalities, and all I can say to that is please come and meet my 2 dogs. Both are litter mates, but are completely different from one another. The boy follows me around like a shadow, is very vocal and playful whenever possible. The girl is more independent, and chooses when and where she wants to listen. She is more than happy to wander in our house to the basement and find her favorite toy. When she decides it is time to play, she will find me and bring me what she wants to play with.

We try and keep them as secure as possible because, unfortunately, there are many sick, twisted people out there who would love nothing more than to hurt or torture animals. In addition, although my dogs are fairly smart, they don't necessarily know the dangers that are out there and may get hurt if we were to simply let them be.

Although I don't have human children, I consider these 2 dogs as my kids and take the same amount of responsibility for their well being as any other mom out there. The owners of that poor lab who was killed should be held accountable for the death - I just hope that the poor dog did not suffer. Just because dogs/cats/animals cannot form words, does not mean they don't hurt, love, or feel.
edit on 11/9/1111 by ScubaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh, goody, here's a thread I can really "sink my teeth" into!

My husband and I have 9 cats. We didn't start off with 9. I had two when we met. Both kitties have cerebellar hypoplasia, which means their heads bob uncontrollably when they're trying to look at something. The internet said the vets recommend euthanizing these cats, but they are great cats. The male, especially, loves everybody, from family members to strangers, and he rides in the car like a dog.

Then we got a rescue who was abandoned. He is half Savannah and growls and yowls like a puma, and is built like a leopard. After that we adopted a half Siamese who has feline AIDS. Nobody wanted her and she was slated for euthanasia. We've had her almost 5 years and she has been quite healthy.

Then we found 3 orphaned three week old kittens behind a cotton warehouse, under some wooden pallets. One of them had been attacked by some animal, and he had a missing eye and a broken jaw. He was not expected to live. All three were malnourished with severe herpes eye infections and respiratory infections. They are 4 years old now, and the one eye is now big and ornery, the baddest of the bunch.

Number 8 was found at 2 weeks old in a parking lot behind the clinic where I used to work. The mother had been eaten by a coyote (this was actually witnessed by the receptionist through the window). Naturally they called the "Crazy Cat Lady", and we took her in and bottle fed her.

Number 9 was adopted through a shelter in New Mexico. I went there to shop for a cat door and got suckered in by this kitten's long grey fur and her moxie.

All cats are fixed, vaccinated, and are allowed out after the sun comes up. We collect all 9 when the sun is setting because coyotes pass by here on a regular basis. We live in a very rural area and they have the run of the fields. No roads, no cars, no strange cats or stray dogs to run from.

We spend a fortune on cat food and they are the most spoiled bunch of kitties anybody could ever meet, but we are retired empty-nesters and have a lot of time and love to give. If we run into number 10, well, that's life! My daughters have agreed to take the cats if something happens to us, and have a network of friends who have put "dibs" on the different cats.

Yes they are a lot of work, but you can't beat a bunch of furry, purry friends on the bed on a cold, winter night!!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Love your story and love your avatar.
The planet is most lucky to have you as a member.

Just be careful...........I saw a video where some big bird (can't remember, owl, eagle?) actually picked up a cat and flew off with it.

Still you're way out in the middle of no where, (wish I was) and best of luck to you for having such a big heart.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I wish when people would reply they would include a picture of their companion / furry family member.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Honestly, I wish I had never got my dog with as much as I love her. It's a lot of work sometimes. But I could never just leave her behind.

The white dog in my picture collage is the newest addition. My wife and kids went and picked him out at the pound and surprised me. I didn't want him either, and its been a year, and he still gets in the trash, and he has a knack for ramming me or sitting on my feet at the least opportune times, and I really still don't like him much, but..................

They got him to replace the brown dog in the top left of that picture. He was my best friend and companion for 14 years. He was a Pit Bull, rescued from a fighting ring. I got him when he was 2 weeks old, and he was more of a friend than a dog. He didn't have "commands," he just responded to whatever I said. He tragically committed suicide trying to get the last little crumbs out of a Doritos back and suffocated, LOL! It shouldn't have been funny, but it was, because he was getting old and feeble, and we didn't want to put him to sleep, and when he was younger he was constantly doing silly hijinks like that, but he was agile enough to jump around and get free. We kind of figured it was the way he would have wanted to go, it was probably painless and peaceful, and it kind of fit him.

Anyway, back to the point, the new dog, that I don't like all that much, was a very sweet gift from my family, they didn't realize I wasn't ready for it. And, in the past year, he has proven to be extremely loyal to us all, protective of the kids, so much so that he will gladly get between me and the kids if I yell at them, and he isn't aggressive, he is just providing a meek barrier. I'm sure I will grow to love him a lot. He has already gained a lot of ground with me as he has matured, but I completely understand your sentiment of being stuck with a dog you didn't necessarily want, don't feel bad about it.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Humans need to assume a lifetime responsibility when they take on any pet.
I have a mare I've had for 29 years now. She'll be with me until the end.
I have 2 conure parrots , 2 dogs,2 cats,alot of chickens, and 2 goats.
All are a lifetime commitment in my eyes.
I look at it as God loans them to us. For companionship, protection, friendship. They are my only children and I love them all. The most devoted animal I have is a dog my husband found as a drop off. He would die for me I have no doubt.
If you take it in, take it on. Pets are not a short term commitment in my eyes.
Do what you can to protect them and keep them healthy.
If you're not up to it, just don't go there.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

That sure is an ugly ol' horse in your avatar.

Ahhhhh, J/K! I love him!

edit on 9-11-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Absolutely. I have always had a dog. We take care of each other. I make sure my dog has a full water dish at all times. Gets a walk several times a day. She likes to just sniff around a little out front and back to check out her territory for who has passed by. Once satisfied and all other doggies scent marked, she's ready to take another nap. Except in the morning when we chase squirrels real early. She gets bathed regular, trimmed, and always check her skin, teeth, ears, eyes and pink tongue. Her nails are trimmed regular and fur cut from between the pads. Brushing once a day keeps her coat shiny and sleek.

If I give her a walk, I keep her on the leash until we get to where she can run and play without threat of cars or other dogs, etc. Then I let her run but bark commands to her to keep her near and safe. This is her favorite time on this planet. When she sees a squirrel she will go into stalk mode like a lion and try to inch close enough from behind trees even, to get a chance of catching one. She never does, they are too fast. Doesn't stop her from trying though.

I talk to her and she understands simple sentences about what's going on. Doggy wanna go for a walk? Get the squirrels? Oh Boy, Oh Boy! Daddy's gonna make coffee water, get busy and then well go for a walk. Wait for daddy. And she perks up cocks her head and listens to all that, than lies down by the door and waits patiently for me to get ready. Then I'm like, are we going out front or out back? And she runs to either one.

Good diet. not to much protein, yearly vet visit for check up and a lot of snuggle make her my best friend in the world. Always by my side. Loyal and fearless to death. Always a pick me up and lets GO! Thats how she keeps me going. Always coming to me when its time to do something like bouncy bouncy, tail wagging, bright eyes. DOG...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

See posts like yours make me feel good..............there are still a lot of good nice decent people.

Okay, wish you would have included a picture!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Your going to have a hard time letting go of your sun.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Our last dog before Lucy, look at the picture of Odie, was a tied in the yard dog..............the family got tired of him and was going to take him to a shelter.

My oldest son asked me to try him out...............I never liked spoted dogs.

Well, Odie, my sweet beloved adorable Odie we were graced with his presence for 15 years.

As I write this I still cry at his death - his urn is in my closet now and will be buried with my ashes.

My sweet beloved Odie.................so smart, so gentle, so sweet. Yes getting all gushing here. Odie was quite a character. He was proud, determined, sweet, loving and quite a personality.

My beloved Odie....................I love Lucy but still miss my adorable Odie.

Each "animal" has their own distinct personality.................just like us.

Again, please read "Dominion" by by Matthew Scully.

Humans are so arrogant and arrogance is the preliminary of downfall.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I get very irritated with irresponsible pet owners. We've had our dog for 11 years, and we have three cats. One of them is a cat my son and his girlfriend picked up as a stray kitten in Spain, and then didn't want to actually keep at their place when they got back. Young people can be so ignorant about what kind of responsibility is involved!

I have a daughter who has her own place for the first time and says she wants to get a big dog.....I am praying she doesn't- I will have to end up having to adopt it when the reality sinks in, if she does.

Besides irresponsible dog and cat owners, it is the equine owners that get me really pissed off!
We have people who have a young disrespectful stallion, and they don't bother to make decent fencing and he gets out to run around the neighborhood all the time! When I am out on my mare, I am terrified that he is going to jump on my mare one day and kill me.

Living in a mountainous region, with twisty mountain roads, I hate coming around a bend to find a donkey in the middle of the road (or a cow). This one guy with donkeys keeps them in a pasture far away from where he lives so doesn't ever come see how they are doing or if their fences are intact. So we get whole groups of donkeys hanging out in the road for days. It's dangerous for them and us.

Pisses me off to no end.

Someone said they'd like to see pictures of pets- I tried to find some of mine
Our dog, Simba

My horse, Kaia

I haven't uploaded pics of my kitties, though they are my lovies as well

edit on 9-11-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

We rescued "St Sinbad" another throw away at age 7 with heart worm.............he pined, layed on our laundry room floor depressed for two weeks at having been given up for a Jack Russel Terrier..............he was depressed that his owner of seven years simply decided to give him up.............yes animals have feelings, emotions.

No, they cannot do math, or spreadsheets.................but they have heart. They love unconditionally and constantly we humans screw over them.......ignore their feelings and excuse ourselves emotionally by saying, "they don't feel like we do".................easy way out.

In order for alot of people to justify their actions and make themselves feel "good" they do bad things............they screw over those that can't defend themselves.........no other way to put it. Forrest Gump would understand.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
it's really aggravating that all my neighbors(most of them) who have pets let them run free. Cats are always starching my hood, dogs always messin with my trashcans. But what ticks me off the most whenever my dog gets out of the yard( happened twice so far) my neighbours call the animal control guy and they come and warn me and i tell them to "*&*^ off". I have a pitbull n he looks dangerous lol. While he doesn't have a mean bone in his body but i could defiantly see him massacre a bunch of small children. Which is why he stays locked up, but sometimes my dopey friends forget to close the gate behind them.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Pets are a big commitment..I went into my garage today to do some laundry and their is about a 2 1/2 gap under the metal security door, anyway while loading the washer I seen something fly by out of the corner of my eye..upon closer inspection (and a search of the garage) I found out what the fly by was..a stray cat.

The neighbors behind my apt moved out and abandoned their pet..she was starving and thirsty..so I fed her and gave her water. I have one of her kittens..who is the sweetest baby ever.

I couldn't catch her..but I know where she lives and I'm trying to find her a home. Very sad I feel just terrible for her, She is so talkative and loving..and I just know she is devastated to be left without her owner and homeless.

Moral of the story..if you can't care for your pet..at least try and find it a home, if not that a pet shelter at a minimum. Leaving a furry friend to fend for themselves is cruel and thoughtless. Thanks for your post Cheers Coco

edit on 10-11-2011 by itscocobaby because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join