It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi voters reject anti-abortion initiative

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Well it's always nice to see social engineering by the GOP kick the bucket. The party of REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY BIG Government fails again.

Source

Jackson, Mississippi (CNN) -- Mississippi voters rejected an amendment to the state constitution that would have defined life as starting at conception, and outlawed abortion and many forms of birth control if passed.

"I think voters rejected a measure they understood to be dangerous," said Felicia Brown-Williams with the Mississippi for Healthy Families Campaign. "They really tried to manipulate values around faith and family."

If the amendment 26, or "Personhood," had passed Tuesday, it would have re-opened the national debate on abortion. Court challenges would have set the measure on a path for the U.S. Supreme Court and a showdown in the far right's mission to overturn Roe V. Wade.

"We are not conceding because we did our duty," said Les Riley, a Mississippi citizen and a petitioner of amendment 26. "We have obeyed God ... it is not tolerable that they kill children."

My opinion on the whole thing? At conception, your not a person, your goop. Religious folk are far too zealous with this topic and will go to ANY lenghts to push their social agenda. I don't only blame the right on this, the left certainly have their fare share of religious nut jobs wanting to impose their "moral will" on you and others.

I'm against abortion personally, but I'm pro choice. It's not the governments responsibility, or right to dictate what you can do with your body. You have the right to make your own decisions and that service should be available if you so choose to use it.

Vote with your U-Haul's folks, that's really the only way to go about it.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

edit on 11/9/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It shows that in this nation people are well informed and aware of the agendas behind the whole issue of anti abortion.

Their biggest mistake is trying no only to stop the rights to have an abortion but the right of women to the use of birth control, to me that is what made the voters vote against the amendment.

You don't have to be a genius to smell the crab behind the bill.

edit on 9-11-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
That you're saying "I don't like abortion, but i'm pro-choice" just goes to show how even our language has been warped by these cretins. Nobody wants more abortions. Absolutely nobody is "pro-abortion." There is not a single pro-choice person who's hoping for more abortions, nor is there a single anti-choice person who's hoping for more. That's not even a stance, and in a sane society, no one would ever feel the need to clarify the point.

Good for Mississippi. I honestly never would have expected this outcome, but pleasant surprises are the best surprises.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm kind of more impressed that this is Mississippi of all places, right in the Bible Belt.

10 years ago I think the results would have been radically different. It's nice to see some common sense in this sort of issue.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Good. When I first heard this I thought Mississippi had gone over the deep end. It was probably just a fundamentalist group afterall.........Always wanting to tell everybody else how to live. :shk:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Pity. A real shame. But the people have spoken, so it's legal.
*sigh*

Maybe next time.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I really believe that the whole deal behind the bill on abortion was to abolish birth control for the state, because that is what would have follow if the bill was passed, see the agenda behind the bill was to expand and control peoples sexual behavior, this would have affected single adults but also married couples.

I can not believe that in this time and age is still groups out there that wants nothing more than to tell manipulate sexual behavior, that was the biggest mistake of those behind the bill.

In our society that is tabu, sex is still very much tabu. I am glad that voters in that state could see beyond the bill, the ramifications and repercussions.

This is a win to well informed and intelligent people, Mississippi seems to be full of them

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I'm totally against abortion and feel that no woman should ever get one unless her life is in danger. That being said those are my personal feelings and wouldn't make that choice for anyone else. I love the organization Voice of Choice

Great story about them fighting back against the 'God Squad' that harassed them...

Voice of Choice story
edit on 11/9/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree, there are several GOP states that introduced anti abortion bills this year either to limit birth control, or to make abortion services harder to get access to.

It's such a shame that the West are such prudes when it comes to sex, you are totally right about that.

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I don't think it's about sex.
Some of us honestly believe that aborting an unborn child at any developmental stage is murder.
Flame away if you must, but that is MY honest belief.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Is nothing wrong with having an opinion on any subject, be glad you still can we all can, darn I would be very angry if I can not exercise my rights to chose what kind of opinions I have, don't you? at least you still have that option, and now the miss voters chose to keep that right.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Some of us honestly believe that aborting an unborn child at any developmental stage is murder.

Good thing you have the CHOICE, then, huh?

I was very pleasantly surprised to see freedom win in Mississippi! It's about the FREEDOM to CHOOSE, beez... Each person can choose for himself. Smaller government, beez! Don't you just love it? I do!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
So if people believe it's wrong to murder Jews, and someone wants the choice to murder Jews, it should be a choice?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
edit on 9-11-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Until you take your first breath of air, you are not yet a part of the human race. I don't think abortion should be used as a form of birth control, but I do feel this is a choice that one has to make based on their own beliefs. This is just another example of our moral police trying to dictate what we should/should not be able to do. Stop interfering with peoples personal lives.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

What religious nutjobs on the left?

Care to name some?

All I can think of is the Rev. Sun Myung Moon (spelling?) and I doubt he's a liberal.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I think it should be used as a form of birth control because some people have no business being parents.

I'm talking about the "parents" that let TV and their parents raise their kids while they go out, abuse drugs and party like single people.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And I believe that if a child spared from abortion grows up to be an adult, that he/she's going to be shipped off to fight "terrorists" in a foreign land of our government's choosing.

Christians want more babies because more babies equals more willing pawns for them to send off to die.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Yeah, it's great news, another blow against the anti-freedom "conservative" crowd.

I especially liked the provision that would not even allow an abortion in the case of ectopic pregnancy, which doesn't MIGHT endanger the mother it is a certain death sentence for both the mother and fetus. I guess to those folks if a woman has an ectopic pregnancy it means she is morally deficient or something.

Religion - keep your paws out of government.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I'm with you. If people accidentally get pregnant and they're not ready, emotionally, financially or physically to have and raise a child, then I think using abortion as birth control can be the right thing to do.

To each his own. Live and let live. Freedom...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join