It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Structures on YU55

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Relatively speaking the radar waves are operating at near the speed of light....and that is how they calculate the speed and distance by using Fourier Transforms as well as the Doppler effect which essentially calculates the inherent delay in the returned signal.

By understanding the speed of the sent radar wave and measuring the delay one can calculate the speed and distance of the distant object.

The returned wave would contain these artifacts in the form of noise that would resemble perpendicular objects and/or geometrically angled surfaces more commonly associated with structures....

This is the same reason as to why our stealth aircraft possess minimal if any flat/vertical surfaces in order to minimize the reflected radar wave.

Peace

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It's funny because as I was watching a flyby I thought wouldn't it be cool if they picked up some higher res images that showed some sort of structures or anomolies? LOL Nice! Structures indeed why phrase it that way? Why not use strange FEATURES which would imply natural but odd formations.

Structures implies that it is either man-made, alien made or resembles either...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
In astrophysics structure doesn't imply manmade, maybe to a layman or someone in construction. In fact more professions the use of structure means a myriad of different things. Just do a Google search using astronomy and structure in any question or sentence. Threads like this are just a huge reach to create something out of nothing, especially with no images to back the twisted interpretation of a simple word.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Actual statement is this and was based on radar images.

"The animation reveals a number of puzzling structures on the surface that we don't yet understand. To date, we've seen less than one half of the surface, so we expect more surprises,'' said radar astronomer Lance Benner, the lead scientist on the project.

www.latimes.com...

In science the term "structure" is applied to any type of formation.

NASA blasted the asteroid with microwaves from a radio telescope near Barstow, using the 230-foot-wide aluminum dish to receive signals bouncing off the asteroid. That data revealed its ridges, craters and boulders and provided enough information about its speed, trajectory and physical characteristics to allow JPL officials to plot its course for the next 64 years.

edit on 11/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I'm pretty sure this is what was meant by Structures, good post Phage.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Yes the word structure does cause one to think as a non natural formation. I think it has to do with education (or lack there of) I for one am a high school drop out (though went to college for classes to help me get a job in a field that I still can't get hired in
) and after 7 years paid the loans off.

However, after looking into Google for uses for the word "structure" and seeing a lot of the links about grammatical structure; I soon realized that it could mean multiple things depending on usage. From there I surmised that in Science in general probably have a different use for it.

But, oh the speculation! Makes my imagination run wild- then I get shot down with these people using logic and rational thinking

Thanks for posting this information here anyways, it was interesting!

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Structures implies that it is either man-made, alien made or resembles either...

It depends on the audience....... for ardent ET believers then the word "structures" implies "alien bases".....or "alien built artefacts"...........to the standard scientist "structures" merely implies formations of the natural kind.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I guess we will have to wait for the next pass to get another good look. Wake me up then.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join