It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London braced for student fees protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
London faces another protest due to the government's actions.
The year before I went to Uni they introduced student loans - prior to that it wa free. Student loans means that every student leaves uni with a big debt.
This year, the government increased tuition fees meaning that students will leave uni with massive debts.
Appilcations have started to drop as ppeople consider whether going into debt for the next 10 or 15 years is really worth it for a degree in social and liberal housekeeping....
There was a list posted on the MSM a while back (in the US but it's applicable also to the UK) which shows the average salary which can be earned by various degrees, the top 10 of such. Medicine, law, architecture, psychology, all can earn back their fees but music, art, social work, tc have little to no chance in the short term.

The protest, organised by the ‘National campaign against fees and cuts’, is expected to be well attended again, with students assembling on Malet Street before moving to London Wall where a one-hour fees protest will be held.
“We know the overwhelming majority of students are law-abiding and we hope this will be a peaceful event," Commander Pountain said. “We certainly don't see it as inevitable that we will witness a repeat of last year's scenes of violence and criminal damage.

London braced for student fees protest

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
London faces another protest due to the government's actions.
The year before I went to Uni they introduced student loans - prior to that it wa free. Student loans means that every student leaves uni with a big debt.
This year, the government increased tuition fees meaning that students will leave uni with massive debts.
Appilcations have started to drop as ppeople consider whether going into debt for the next 10 or 15 years is really worth it for a degree in social and liberal housekeeping....
There was a list posted on the MSM a while back (in the US but it's applicable also to the UK) which shows the average salary which can be earned by various degrees, the top 10 of such. Medicine, law, architecture, psychology, all can earn back their fees but music, art, social work, tc have little to no chance in the short term.

In my opinion student fees should be free to UK students who are on courses for subjects where we currently need to import skills via immigration. It is madness to have skills shortages, unemployed youth and immigration all bundled in one circular economic and social package.

It makes no sense to have free fees for subjects of no economic use to the country.

However, I live in Scotland (although English) so my son gets free fees!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Apart from the Scottish bit, you summed the problem up nicely.
Liberal arts degrees should not be free as there is no market for their use on a national scale. However, the country needs certain skills and those qualified to study those programmes should be encourgaed to do so by having their fees paid for them.
Then we wouldn't need to outsource or import brainpower.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
Student loans means that every student leaves uni with a big debt.

The idea is to have control of these people once they enter their professions.

If after starting their profession they decide they don't like it (or discover it's full of corruption), they can't leave and must do as they're told. You can't pay off these sorts of debts working at McDonalds.

I'm against education for profit. That's why the cost of living is so high. Your doctor or lawyer charge so much because it cost them so much for their qualification.

Any protest about student loans has my support.
edit on 9/11/11 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Once upon a time, students had no fees.

And every country should realise that their students are their future.

No student fees.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
We need to encourage more youngsters into apprenticeships from the age of 16. I went to University when there were no fees, but looking back would have probably been better off going into an apprenticeship of some sort. It was just the expected thing to go to University, primary school, secondary school, college then University, all mapped out without really thinking about it.

My degree has opened up doors for me, it helped me get my first job in London, although had nothing to do with the job I was doing. It's just a recognition of a reasonable amount of intelligence. I enjoyed what I studied (Sociology), but with hindsight, I would have been better off doing an apprenticeship learning a skill or a trade. Going to uni was just the expected thing to do at the time, everyone I knew was going all my college tutors were pushing me to go and there didn't seem to be too many other options at the time. If I'd had my time again I wish I had done something in Music production, instead of a social science. Oh well the benefit of hindsight.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Excellent post, Mr Ben!
My thoughts exactly

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Education should be free for all in the UK, no matter where you live. I do not think it is fair, that Student fees in scotland are free, while other every student in the UK has to pay.

I am watching it live on sky news right now. And arrests are being made. Students tried to set up tents in Trafalgar Square. Their tents are being taken down and are being arrested.

top topics

join