It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The purpose of marriage.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
You who are of my native land!

God has given permission for the man to marry the woman. Indeed, it is lawful for you.

Clean persons may marry other clean persons, this is the truth told to you.

Unclean persons may only marry other unclean persons, surely in this law there is sense.

For what purpose do my brothers in America marry? I have seen you come and go.

Look in your hearts and see for what cause you have taken your brides.

If for love, then you perhaps are a poet. What can you tell us about love, and what of women do you love the most?

If for money, how your hearts have loved the world and it's riches! Tell us of the virtues of your wealth and the cause of your money.

If for offspring, what will you teach to your children, and what is the manner of your religion? Surely you will produce sons worthy to fight evil and establish good in the nation. Tell us how you will do so, that we might be brothers and assist you in this good deed.

You who marry! Tell the young men of your wise notions and what cause is so worthy of their attention. Teach us why we marry, and what manner of woman is better than others, and how to know the difference! Surely, you have married for thousands of generations, perhaps there is knowledge gained by such ancient experience!

Do tell us what you have learned, so that we might not be ignorant men. We, your sons, have come about by the marriage of our parents, will you send us into the world with no knowledge whatsoever?

Is she who scowls with her face and has a troubled mind the equal of her who remains covered and does not make contests for men? Are her offspring similar?

Is she who bears her flesh and wears promiscuous clothing desireable for the upbrining of worthy sons? Are her ways equal to those of the faithful?

Yet you have made the world after her image, and have catered to her ways, perhaps you are not able to teach us what is wise. Perhaps you conceal what you know, and this shows your malice towards us. For them that conceal knowledge from the children are like those who lie snares for their feet, and them that lie in wait to devour.

Arkaleus

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by Arkaleus]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
With all due repect, you are sounding more and more like Hamilton every day.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
the purpose(in this country), of paying for a piece of paper, to say i'm staying with the man i'm with, for whom i've born 2 children,..to have to have a gov't official stamp a piece of paper..to make what i already know "legal"....well, it makes absolutely no sense to me. so what is the purpose of that type of marriage?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychosgirl
the purpose(in this country), of paying for a piece of paper, to say i'm staying with the man i'm with, for whom i've born 2 children,..to have to have a gov't official stamp a piece of paper..to make what i already know "legal"....well, it makes absolutely no sense to me. so what is the purpose of that type of marriage?

Bragging rights.

Ha! But honestly, marriage, what's the point? If you're still asking yourself that question, then you haven't experienced what love is made of. (And I'm being completely poetic there, notsome weird sexual metaphor.)
Now if you just "know" in your heart and don't need the piece of paper, good for you- do it. I'm glad there are more people in the world that don't need titles, but sheesh, isn't getting all dressed up fun?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
hey, you can get all dressed up, stand in the back yard, and profess your love to the world. it's just alot more fun to spend lots of money on a really relaxing vacation with your honey than to spend it on a big fancy wedding.....of course in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Edit: Blah

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Edit: Blah

[Edited on 2-9-2004 by TrueLies]

I see you figured it out.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Most of you are married. Why? Why was it the right thing to do? Money? Comination of mind/spirit? Sexual fulfillment? What on earth did you marry for? Animals bond for life too, are the doves better than the men?

Do the doves know something we do not? Are they arguing and at war? Nay, but they are together and will not desert one another. They bear young who do it the same way, yet they have no written word, or culture, or any religion at all.

What then, do you understand at all?

Arkaleus

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
The purpose of marriage is to decide who legally gts my money when i die...

Oh and so i can have a mistress, who i can officially call a mistress...

Oh and for an excuse to get drunk (wedding)...

Oh and to have a holiday with a chick where i am pretty much gauranteed sex every night, at least twice, and maybe more in the morning and after lunch too... (honeymoon)

Other than that marriage is really pointless... if i want to spend my life with someone i sont need the state or any religious institution to recognise it... as long as i know thats my life partner i'm happy... i would get married for the above reason and also if my girl really wanted it.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkaleus
Animals bond for life too, are the doves better than the men?

Fewer then you would think and I believe that they are mostly birds for some strange reason.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
as i recall Honeymoon is an ancient tradition, and was just that an entire
moon or month during which a special honey mead was consumed by the
newly weds hence the name HoneyMoon.

yet they have no written word, or culture, or any religion at all.

Do you know thiis of yourself or was it told you by others?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Doves have no written word, religion , or formal marriage, but they mate for life, and do not cheat on one another.

Are doves better than human beings?

Maybe it's time we start treating marriage a little differently in America. Make it a much more binding social and finanical contract. Divorce is screwing up an entire generation of people.

Arky

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Dude maybe humans arent monogonous by nature...

Doves also # in public and dont wear pants, dos that mean we need to as well?

The way i see it is, if youwantto have a life partner go for it. if you dont want a life partner dont go for it coz someone will end up hurt... If you want a life partner in heart but still be able to sleep around, go for it (as long as both parties are cool with that).

I personally want option B. Emotionally i'm happy to stay with the one person, physically i dont see the point.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Interesting point put forth...
for me personally mirage is something wonderful...
first time around wasn�t a mistake... we have 3 beautiful children that learn as their parents have and there after when they grow up they will learn for themselves... I can only guide not force my truth. They must find truth for them... as such I would like to think that me being decent humanbeing I set some examples that are good...but also being human I strive to always do better but make mistakes none the less. I try to learn from those and teach them to my children. I married for a vision and children... as did she but we were young....
now when/if I find that right person... I will marry for the love of my life... for the sharing and combined personal spiritual growth of us both. With common interests and goals... to work together as a team and partnership...for companionship as only the very best of friends can provide... that person will love me for who I am and not what I can do or what I have... but rather just the person... and yes.. I think for MOST all working relationships such as being maried...the sexual side of love is vary important... that "damn I got to be touched.. Love how I feel" sensation keeps it strong. And blocks the temptation of wandering... however those of us that have been taught wouldn�t wander anyway... regardless of wither or not it is part of human nature... look for a true companion one that shares your interests...your passions... (Doesn�t have to be all of them but the more. the better) look for somebody that can reach you on an inelegant level... it doesn�t matter if they are smarter or you are...but that the communication is there and enjoyable and stimulates your mind.... NOBODY on this planet is perfect even if we strive for that goal... but attaining perfection....if that is your goal... is easier with a mate that shares the same goals than loan......
just my 2c

[Edited on 22-9-2004 by vulcangodoffire2000]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I just think that marriage is something between two people to show that they REALLY love each other, and would REALLY be willing to spend the rest of their lives together. I'm going to get married, hopefully. I hope that I'm lucky enough to find someone that I'd be happy with for my whole life. If you're religious, then it's a religious reason. Some people just do it for the thrill (Which I think is horrible). There are many reasons why people get married.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with marriage.

But there are other forms of existence besides marriage. I am following one of those forms. I know little about marriage, or married life, so that is why I am seeking honest information from those of you who are married.

If you are seeking to be married, why? That is another question I wish to know. I have no desire of progeny, material advancement, or station in this world, and the whole business of the marriage contract seems incompatible to my wish.

Thanks for the input.

Ark

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
Dude maybe humans arent monogonous by nature...

Doves also # in public and dont wear pants, dos that mean we need to as well?

lmao...

Marriage has legal and socioeconmic benefits in a modern society - two people who love each other and wish to raise a family but are in a financial bind may consider marriage a good way to join forces...

Additionally, it is seen as a vow of commitment that cannot be expressed in private conversations - to make your love and affection for someone a public vow that is performed in front of other loved ones is an expression of our need for security and acceptence.

Of course these things can be done without an official or legal ceremony, but we live in a society governed by rules and at a more culutural level, embedded with many archaic rituals which hold no true value other than promp and circumstance...

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Lo, and behold. I speaketh as the wise do in what I sayeth. I shalt go forth and take for a bride a pleasing woman. A woman of my country and loyal to my kinsman. I was smitten by her beauty and disired her more than honey. Her teeth were white as a flock of sheep. Her hair was like a finely woven chord.

( I was smitten by her looks, and when I got to know her, by who she was. So, I thought she was hot and hooked up with her! But is sounds more noble when I do the King James speak)

Verily, Verily, I say to my brothers in the country of mine. I am wise. See how I speak, and listen to what riddles I say. Art I a man who liveth in the year of the 2004th passing of the seasons, since Jesus was born? Why then doth I speaketh as ifeth I waseth borneth in a countryeth a long timeth ago-eth? I shall speak more wise riddles unto thy person in a time to come.

Seriously, marriage is a contract between yourself and your wife/husband. If you'll sign one to get AOL 9.2, shouldn't your favorite person have at least the same courtesy? So, it's a social contract, and you get dressed up to sign it.

[Edited on 22-9-2004 by dbates]

new topics

top topics

join