It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Geese flying north?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by andriod

Maybe they're flying to Shamballah...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Literally yesterday I saw the exact same thing and mentioned it to my girlfiend. I am in British Columbia near the US border. Does anyone have an explanation for this? I have noticed it since middle of October, it is strange.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Literally yesterday I saw the exact same thing and mentioned it to my girlfiend. I am in British Columbia near the US border. Does anyone have an explanation for this? I have noticed it since middle of October, it is strange.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
I've seen geese fly North instead of South in the Winter. It does happen.

I read that all types of geese don't migrate, some do and some don't. I don't know if that is true or not.

So, I presume we are talking "Canadian Geese" which do migrate.

Some possible ideas as to why they may be headed North instead of South:

1. Electromagnetic disturbances (recent solar flares cause these). Their inner radar depends on electromagnetics.

2. They will head to "warmer" climates so perhaps it is warmer North of them. If it's temporary, they may head South later on. Maybe the head Goose decided it was too early to head South.

3. EXTREME drought down here in Texas and many other Southern States. There's no food for them when they get here. They used to gather in rice fields after a harvest and clean up the remains. Rice farms are generally irrigated; but, lakes and water reservoirs are drying up severaly here so many rice farmers MIGHT have skipped planting this year.

I have noticed geese flying north ever since I can remember. Another poster said that geese fly in all directions to get to lakes for water. This is probably the most likely reason they sometimes fly north.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Here's my video as promised... you can hear my daughter at the 0:11 and 0:17 mark, the other noise is cars and geese chanting.

There are plenty more geese coming in from the distance that aren't that visible. This was taken from my Blackberry, and I had to stop filming because the bus I was waiting for arrived at that point.

Haha you can also see a lone seagull fly by with the flock!

edit on 8/11/2011 by andriod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by andriod

I have noticed Geese flying west this year as well.

Maybe they take a left at Albuquerque?

Though that is a long way from Ohio.

Oh, and Canada? Please stop sending your geese this way...I'm sick of stepping in their crap. I blame you!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I noticed the exact same thing in upstate NY around 4pm. A group of Canadian geese flying NW and making some strange racket as they flew. I watched them land in a slightly wooded area about 100 yards from me, probably staying the night there.
Just another one of those things that doesn't seem to make sense.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by andriod
reply to post by new_here

Interesting theories from you and the poster above you.

I do not own a compass (and quite frankly, I am not too sure where to buy a decent one around my area). I wish I did though.

Hey, maybe you could make one? Here are a couple of links I found. The second one is from NOAA and won't fully load for me for some reason, but the first one does:
Homemade Compass from HowStuffWorks.com

PDF from NOAA.gov

Let us know if you have time to make one and what you find out!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Maybe, I like Mianeye's post (page 1), the off site quote from a Yahoo answers posting.

The staging area idea is intriguing.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I am in Canada and I can tell You the Geese always fly a little north after a longer day of flying North. It is normal to see them flying North just before the Sun goes down. They backtrack a little because they want to know whats in front of them.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Then star her, silly. So far, only I have.

2nd

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I've noticed this phenomenon for the past several years. The conclusion I came to was the magnetic fields have been swaying and changing.

Here's just a few examples of magnetic shift:
Airport in florida renumbers runway due to magnetic shift
beached whales and mass deaths

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
AHHHH THIS IS GREAT....i thought i was the only one as well! I live in St Albans, which is in Franklin county VERMONT... i was actually in Winooski, Vermont, about to attend either the October 9th or 16th OCCUPY event in Burlington, Vermont's city park, and i was outside looking up and told my buddy "d@mn thats a lot of birds"...seemed to be different types of birds traveling, not together, but in different parts of the sky. I dont know that area as well because i grew up in new york, so i did not know which direction was wich, figured they were going north. Once my buddy came back out to have a cigarette with me, he said "we got retarted birds in vermont"... i told him they where from richford than, and he told me that they couldnt be coming from richford because that was northeast from us, and they were coming from the south. we watched in stupidity as the birds just, kept flying north... since then i have seen ALL birds that are migrating, ONLY fly north.... WHY?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Okay, I don't know if this is related, or how it may be related, but since this summer we have noticed odd behaviour with our birds.

A strange lack of birds and later seeing odd behaviours in their flying patterns has been the topic of many conversations.

When we first heard no birds where there should have been plenty, I decided to post a thread to see if anyone else in Canada had noticed the same.

Was literally shocked to see so many others from so many parts of the world posting on the same thing, and other odd behaviours in birds and other natural habitat.

Still trying to figure it out. If it helps to form a theory,

No birds singing today, strange quiet, page 1

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

I was about to post just the same suggestion
Check your compasses.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by andriod
I live in Ontario, Canada, and usually every year around this time, the geese gather together and fly south in groups.

Today, however, I found their behaviour to be extremely odd.

Around 4:30pm my fiancee, daughter, and I heard the sound of what were thousands (literally) of geese flying in one direction, all together. Except that's not the weird part.

Usually they fly south for the winter months. This entire month though, I have noticed the geese flying north. I figured at first they were possibly heading to their meeting spot before taking off in their usual direction in groups, but have not seen a single goose fly in the direction facing south. When I saw the amount of geese we witnessed today flying in the wrong direction, it sparked some serious interest.

Can anyone give me insight as to why these geese may have been going the wrong way? I know we are not inaccurate as to the direction we were watching them fly. Is everything that is happening with the weather changes seriously affecting our wildlife to that extent?

Below is a photo I took with my cellphone when it happened, they were all forming odd shapes like this as they flew. The sky seems dark as it gets dark earlier here in the winter months (especially since the daylight savings time took effect last week).

Edit to add: In the span of 10 minutes, we witnessed these thousands of geese flying north.
edit on 8/11/2011 by andriod because: (no reason given)

OP, I am just curious why you state that this happened "today" and yet you made thius exact same post 3 months ago: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jcord

nevermind, I see my error

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
This may seem lame, but in my current biology class at UW rock county it was mentioned that there is a particular species of geese that travel north to the tundra to reproduce.

This helps them avoid most predators and they are of course specifically adapted to do this.

Ah yes, I believe it may be Snow Geese that some of you saw.

Snow Geese breed in the Arctic Tundra and winter in farmlands, lakes and coastal areas in the American south, southwest and east coast. These attractive geese occur only in North America, and make an annual round trip journey of more than 5,000 miles at speeds of 50 mph or more. Seen in flight, adults are white with jet black wing tips.

Migrating Geese
edit on 9-11-2011 by Elzon because: grammar

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

The most obvious theory to me is magnetic distortion causing the confusion?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Bottom of Lake Huron here (Michigan) - Geese over winter around here nowadays (past few years) so seeing them fly every direction - BUT I saw a couple Monarch Butterflys this past weekend - REALLY LATE for them

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join