It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese parts being used to make counterfeit US military weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I found this article a little bit disturbing concerning the fact that chinese parts can be used to counterfeit fake weapons that might be used out on the battlefield. First of all, why in the world are even using electronics in our military that are made in China? With the recent developments of the Fast and Furious operations (which is not related to this) I would not be surprised if the government is responsible for this, but putting the blame elsewhere.

"Sprinkling" sounds like a fairly harmless practice, but in the hands of sophisticated counterfeiters it could deceive a major weapons manufacturer and possibly endanger the lives of U.S. troops. It's a process of mixing authentic electronic parts with fake ones in hopes that the counterfeits will not be detected when companies test the components for multimillion-dollar missile systems, helicopters and aircraft. It was just one of the brazen steps described Tuesday at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing examining the national security and economic implications of suspect counterfeit electronics — mostly from China — inundating the Pentagon's supply chain.

The committee investigators found that counterfeit or suspect electronic parts were installed or delivered to the military for several weapons systems, including military aircraft such as the Air Force's C-17 and the Marine Corps' CH-46 helicopter, as well as the Army's Theatre High-Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) missile defense system.

Army Lt. Gen. Patrick J. O'Reilly, the director of the Missile Defense Agency, said counterfeit parts in seven instances cost them about $4 million and they have moved to ensure the authenticity of every part. "We do not want to be in a position where the reliability of a $12 million THAAD interceptor is destroyed by a $2 part," O'Reilly said.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 8-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
WHY THE HELL are the lives of service men and women in my country being potentially endangered like this?

NO PRODUCT used by the US military should EVER have a made in China sticker ANYWHERE on it.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Sooo cute... and soooo naive ....

You people have no clue do you? I would say that 99% of the stuff you use to butcher others in the name of freedom is Chinese made.

Name one chip manufacturer in the US that supplies to the DOD?

Of course your statement pertaining the lives of service men and women is hilarious...

THEY'RE EFFING PAYED TO ENDANGER THEIR LIVES... Think about it...

Americans... they keep cracking me up. Beautiful.
edit on 8-11-2011 by no special characters because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

What I find disturbing is how we are blaming China! Obviously the contractors that have bought out OUR elected officials to supply our military are the ones who need to be put on the chopping block!! I wouldn't put it past Haliburton to still be up to their dirty tricks and ripping of the American tax payers to line their pockets even more.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1
I found this article a little bit disturbing concerning the fact that chinese parts can be used to counterfeit fake

If a counterfeit is fake, aka, a fake counterfeit, wouldn't the double negative(since ther word counterfeit means fake) cancel each other out, making it a genuine?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

touche!
I should have proofread...but then again, its all in the perspective in the matter I suppose. If the fake is counterfeit, thereby making it real, it would be a real fake but actually not real. For the really reals man.

new topics

top topics

join