It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 off-duty cops protest in support of "professional priviledge"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
How can we blame them? We have coddled them and given them the best equipment and hired more than we need. They see corruption all around them and think that they are part of that privileged group.

It is a sign of the times. Not all are bad, but the majority abuses their position for personal gain. Among officers it is well known there is widespread corruption such as evidence tampering and coercion. When drugs and money are found it is commonplace to make a portion disappear. Cops feel like this is their right because they are underpaid and put their lives on the line fighting criminals.

My only real concern is that criminals start looking like anyone to them. When a group of people who have authority and weapons decide to abuse their power who will stop them? Who can stop USA from bombing the middle east? It is the same thing.

So if you let your child play with matches you expect to have a fire eventually.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude
My only real concern is that criminals start looking like anyone to them. When a group of people who have authority and weapons decide to abuse their power who will stop them? Who can stop USA from bombing the middle east? It is the same thing.

Ideally the free residents of these united states would stop them. We outnumber them easily 1,000 to 1.

The trouble is that they are much more eager and willing to shoot us than we are them.

Sadists are attracted to the badge and the state spends a great deal of time and money nurturing them.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Found a fun update. The president of the PBA fears they will come for the bosses. And still defends their actions:

Union leaders said ticket-fixing has long been sanctioned at the highest levels of the Police Department. “Right now, this has landed on the shoulders of police officers,” Patrick J. Lynch, president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, said in a statement. “When the dust settles and we have our day in court, it will be clear that this is part of the NYPD all levels.”

Joining the officers gathered at the courthouse, he said, “We are here to ask the question: when did courtesy become a crime? We would also like to know why there is no investigation into the leaking of secret grand-jury testimony to the media.
PBA Release

Seeing as how not one person from top to bottom in the PBA is apologizing or even acknowledging wrong doing but actively fighting for "professional privilege" the entire organization is suspect and deserves to be dismantled.
edit on 9-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I usually stick up for law enforcement because I know it's a rough dangerous job.

But this is insane!

Eventual loss of empathy that comes with the turf, along with being conditioned with the mentality that they're somehow above the law that they enforce, this is a very dangerous mentality. I can now see why we're seeing so much corruption and brutality lately.

Where are the good cops? Why aren't they speaking up?

Getting through to regular law enforcement is simply not enough, the good cops aren't doing anything! Nothing!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by L00kingGlass

Beating the hell out of unarmed middle-aged people in bike shorts doesn't seem particularly dangerous to me.

But what do I know, they're wearing heavy riot gear and conducting military assaults en masse against those wrinkled old bats, so I guess they MUST be super-dangerous.

*cough*

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by L00kingGlass
Getting through to regular law enforcement is simply not enough, the good cops aren't doing anything! Nothing!

They never seem to, do they? Makes you wonder if the "good cops" arent as real as say Casper or the flying purple people eater.

We keep hearing they greatly outnumber the bad ones. So where are they? Certainly not in the PBA.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

This doesn't surprise me, when corruption is now look at as something that is the right of those that can practice it on daily bases.

NY police history of corruption means that they are used to it, that is how they work and they have do it for decade so why not fight for the right to corruption in courts.

Unbelievable.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

“We are here to ask the question: when did courtesy become a crime?"

Um.. it's always been a crime. Just because you think your badge gives you certain extra rights... does not make it so.

"We would also like to know why there is no investigation into the leaking of secret grand-jury testimony to the media."

Ahh.. I think I can help here... after careful consideration... it would seem to me... that you guys need to call a cop. Do you know any?

Brazen unrepentance... you guys are brilliant!... What could go wrong?

edit on 9-11-2011 by Resinveins because: twice the typos.. half the time

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Oh man, this keeps getting better:

Some of the most prolific ticket-fixers are union officials simply because they appeared to have been deputized to fix tickets written in other precincts. But sources close to the investigation say the Bronx District Attorney’s Office has implicated 160 officers, many of whom testified before the grand jury in return for immunity from criminal charges. Some will be required to testify in court against their fellow officers, a situation they are dreading.

Goes a bit beyond the 16 facing trial. People deputized just to fix tickets. 160 officers implicated. Dreading testifying against their fellow officers. With so many good cops why should a crooked cop fear testifying against another crooked cop? Doesnt want to look like he's doing the right thing in front of all those good cops? Afraid all those good cops will shun him for helping put away a crooked cop?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Oh man, this keeps getting better:

Some of the most prolific ticket-fixers are union officials simply because they appeared to have been deputized to fix tickets written in other precincts. But sources close to the investigation say the Bronx District Attorney’s Office has implicated 160 officers, many of whom testified before the grand jury in return for immunity from criminal charges. Some will be required to testify in court against their fellow officers, a situation they are dreading.

Goes a bit beyond the 16 facing trial. People deputized just to fix tickets. 160 officers implicated. Dreading testifying against their fellow officers. With so many good cops why should a crooked cop fear testifying against another crooked cop? Doesnt want to look like he's doing the right thing in front of all those good cops? Afraid all those good cops will shun him for helping put away a crooked cop?

The same thing can be said of any government official. They expose their own corruption if they turn in another official perjuring themselves as well. That is why they rely on sexual misconduct scandals to remove their opponents.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Notice the part about being granted immunity for testifying... More than likely the original 16 will be given a severance pay and asked/told to quit. As for the rest, they'll probably never bring charges and they'll make some public speech about how shamed they are that they got caught and promise they'll never do it again.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Since I'm literally at least 15 times as valuable as an NYC cop, I should get 15 times as much professional privilege. I should be able to just shoot people I don't like dead on a whim, and that would be a-okay. Professional privilege, sorry guys, I'm just too much better than you are for you to matter.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
That they can argue this out loud in public shows how institutional the corruption of the USA is. Even the cops want to break laws at whim, you know, like the big guys who run the show?

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I can't believe the balls on these cops!!!! IT'S A PRIVILEDGE TO BREAK THE LAW??? These cops should be released of their duties and pay for every PRIVILEDGE they handed out.

We need JIMMY JUSTICE to bust these scumbags. Watch what this....

OFF-DUTY NYPD BLOCKS HYDRANT

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this OP... I've been talking about this for years but it's come up more and more recently as I live close to the bay area in Cali so Occupy Oakland is a big issue. I really hope people finally see why the police are disrespected. Anyone who has had to deal with them in unpleasant situations know how it goes. They simply cannot be trusted and it's scary that people actually believe the police are all above board, honorable, etc.

Not all are bad, but many are and I know first hand just how deep their sense of entitlement runs. I have family that are LEOs and they like to brag about what they do to people and they all have stories about getting away with this and that... It's sick and it needs to be dealt with. Drunk driving is a huge issue and they don't care one bit. The like to hide behind the "I'm only following orders" excuse, but the truth is they enjoy violence. They have a group mentality of their own. Couple that with their feeling that they're above the law and approaching all civilians as not only a threat but somehow sub-human so they can justify the atrocious treatment of the very people we pay them to protect... US... Which they have very little respect for... Just watch the police brutality videos that are getting posted every day.

Make some examples out of a bunch of them. We need to make sure they realize they are NOT above the law. If this is allowed to continue it's not going to go over well with tensions already so high in Oakland and many other cities.

I for one would feel much better with our military guys protecting us here at home. I think they have way more loyalty and sense of honor and commitment. Maybe that's the solution... If Obama keeps his word on bringing the troops home then those guys are going to need jobs. Why not dump all these bad cops and give our troops, our heroes, the jobs. I think they would make outstanding police officers because they've seen war and real civil unrest. They have the experience to get the job done way better than any of the cops in the OP or any of the ones I know IMO. As they say, it's not personal, it's business and what we have now just doesn't cut it.
edit on 9-11-2011 by SilverStarGazer because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2011 by SilverStarGazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
These cops are acting as a legalized gang, nothing more. Shoving reporters- ( assault ) ? Not allowing the media to film the accused officers - ( first amandment abuses )? Did you read the litany of offences? These cops are scum. They should all be reprimanded, investigated, phased-out, and replaced. There are plenty of honest people who need jobs. I'm really glad I don't live in the Bronx. I would not feel safe with these goons patroling the streets. S&F

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
funny, I made this same exact thread weeks ago and it was closed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I still gave s & f .
edit on 9-11-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
funny, I made this same exact thread weeks ago and it was closed.

edit on 9-11-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

Huh, I wonder why it was closed? The reaction of the many, many, many cops supporting the crimes is a different subject than the crimes themselves and your thread was posted in the right category different from the thread that was claimed to be "already posted."

Both the scope of and placement of were unique. That shouldnt have been closed. You got robbed IMO.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Here's a couple of links addressing the issue of cops and governments trying to get online EVIDENCE of police bruatlity removed from Google and YouTube. Seems they want to "fix" more than tickets, huh?

www.google.com...

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
So, let me see if I'm getting this correct. A little compare and contrast.

500 or so NYPD officers are scumbags, and that's supposed to reflect that the other roughly 39,500 or so that are on the force are also "bad"? (Source)

Meanwhile, there are countless crimes being committed at OWS rallies around the country and that's "not" supposed to reflect negatively on the entire group of OWS protesters? (Sources)

I'm willing to say that based on the support by the officers, the NYPD is full of scumbags. In the same breath, I'm willing to say that in light of all the crimes committed by OWS protesters, that OWS is full of scumbags.

So, is it a case that most cops are good, and most OWS protesters are good, and that they truly get spoiled by a few bad apples, or is it that most cops are bad, and most OWS protesters are bad and support bad behavior? You can't have it both ways if you apply the same logic across the board.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join