It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 off-duty cops protest in support of "professional priviledge"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

As 16 NYPD officers were arraigned at a Bronx courthouse yesterday to face charges related to the department's massive ticket-fixing probe, around 500 off-duty police officers, including paralyzed NYPD officer Steven McDonald, showed up to voice their support for "professional privilege."
Link
link 2

This ticket-fixing scandal like all cop scandals has been rebutted with the classic "one bad apple does not a department spoil." A line often met with "when the others refuse to speak up it certainly does rot the department."

So what is it when 500 of their buddies take their own time to come out and cry for "professional privilege" holding sighs proclaiming "It's a Courtesy Not a Crime" and being recorded saying things like "I stopped caring about the law a long time ago" ?

Just a bad apple here and there. Not complete and total institutional corruption or anything.
edit on 8-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: added another link

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What the hell is this..? Occupy Bronx..?

Well, these officers are now part of the 1%...they probably thought that demographic was static - oops.

+27 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
As those sworn to uphold the law, they should then expect to be held to higher level of accountability in adhering to the law. There should be zero "professional priviledge". Even asking for it is unbelievable!

The law is the law, and should apply to all, no matter what their job is or social standing. Without this simple understanding, there can be no law.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Jesus.

It's not what you know, but WHO you know.

OCCUPY with AR-15's. Fire them ALL. Start over.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's surprising that they would expect this "privilege." It's frightening that they would just take the "privilege." It's downright mind-boggling that they would rally in great numbers in front of their superiors, the residents, the press and the mayor and demand said "privilege."

Of the 500 who were bold enough to come out and protest how many others are silently in agreement?

16 "bad apples" on trial get 500 protestors. How many silent supporters do the 500 vocal protestors get? 500 is about 31 for every on of the 16. Do the 500 have 15,500 silent supporters?

Still just a few bad apples.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Of the 500 who were bold enough to come out and protest how many others are silently in agreement?

I was wondering the same thing. And if it's happening there, it is probably happening...umm no, it is MOST ASSUREDLY happening elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
One word to describe these "officers" and their supporters:

Abhorrent

The idea of professional privelage is a farce in itself. Why should an enforcer of the law not be subject to the same rules of the law? It makes absolutely no sense.

Police officers in general should be held to a higher standard, 3 fold in my opinion.

If a citizen commits a crime that is punished with 1 year of incarceration, and a police officer commits the same crime, his punishement should automatically be increased to three years, no questions.

The allowance of professional privelage unfortunately is rampant, and as long as a system is in place to allow it, it wont be leaving anytime soon.

On the other hand, citizens need to remain vigilant against this organized crime, and fight it legally. Perhaps an official petition on a county level to introduce a "3 fold" bill applicable to LEO's?

Unfortunately, I dont know the answers, but the problem is as bright as day

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hahahahahahha.

Is there a minimum intelligence requirement to become NYPD? If so it needs to be adjusted. Congratulations on taking an indefensible position and making it your rallying cry? Bravo.

It's been going on since the days of the ancient Egyptians?.... if you guys are referring to corruption, it's been going on for a lot longer than that.

So.. to sum things up... you believe you should be treated better than the rest of us, and as justification you cite thousands of years of past corruption .. by those in positions similar to yours?

Good luck being taken seriously ever again.

Integrity

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
Hahahahahahha.

Is there a minimum intelligence requirement to become NYPD?

Well, there is a maximum limit for IQ.

Judge Dorsey ruled that Mr. Jordan was not denied equal protection because the city of New London applied the same standard to everyone: anyone who scored too high was rejected.
link

Maybe decades of forces hiring down so to speak is beginning to backfire?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Surely the police chief will suspend all of these officers? Won't he?

If not, surely the voters will replace him? Right?

Come on, are we this apathetic that we will let this happen? Sure it is a silent privilege, but when you get caught, you get your hand slapped, and he slink away and be more careful, you don't come out and boldly claim you were entitled to it? What the hell are they thinking? I hope they get fired immediately!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Something should happen:

The behavior could be construed as violating department rules. Even when officers are off duty, the police patrol guide states, “Conduct which brings discredit to the department or conduct in violation of law is unacceptable and will result in appropriate disciplinary measures.”

Unless of course demanding special treatment and mocking the poor does not "bring discredit to the department."

Regarding possible silent supporters:

“To begin ridiculing people in the welfare line across the street doesn’t endear you to the public eye,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity so as not to be heard directly criticizing members of the force.

There must be at least a few, a dangerous few, for officials to be speaking with anonymity conditions.

Sounds like the boys in blue operate much like a classic crime family.

Nah, couldnt be.

edit on 8-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

After seeing the signs they were holding.. nothing surprises me. It's almost too surreal to be believed.

And how must an honest officer of the law feel about this? Probably pretty embarrassed to be associated with corrupt scum of questionable intelligence. At least i would be.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

The signs are great. It would be one thing if they were all haphazardly hand-made for the occasion but they look mass produced. And they're stamped with the Police Benevolents Associations logo.

How can the nations largest police union let their logo be branded all over something like this?

I guess we have to conclude the PBA believes in and fights for "professional privilege."

During the investigation, overseen by the Bronx district attorney’s office, prosecutors found fixing tickets to be so extensive that they considered charging the union under the state racketeering law as a criminal enterprise, the tactic employed against organized crime families. But they apparently concluded that the evidence did not support that approach.
Just like the mafia.

Yes! Yes! The nations largest police union does indeed support "professional privilege"!

On Thursday afternoon, the police union sent a text message to 400 delegates urging them to show up at the court.

And of course as pigs do:

Once they had gone and the tide of officers had dispersed, the street was littered with refuse.

edit on 8-11-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

On Thursday afternoon, the police union sent a text message to 400 delegates urging them to show up at the court.

Oh, so OCCUPY COURT, is it? Yeah great. We'll promptly send in fully armored Marines to shoot rubber bullets at you, beat the crap out of you, and tell you it's ok to tape it before they shoot you.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
WoW this is so sad. We really do need to replace every officer in this country. And I agree with the idea that officers need to have much longer jail time for any crime the do. I got to say it feels like we have no law in this country. All we have is the good ol boy network. And the good ol boy network has to go. The only way to rid our selves of it is to get rid of all the offices now. Stop letting the police police them selves. We must take our country back.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Well, the last headcount of the NYPD put it's strength at 34,500. Perhaps they need to drop about ..ahem..500 or so...and make an example here. I'm thinking there are more than enough decent, hard working people who would love a shot at a job in the Department with all the benefits it brings.

They wouldn't be down the numbers long....and canning these "officers" for actually coming out to defend the practice of holding some above the same laws WE get our tickets and have to pay for sounds like a great thing to make examples with.

I think they're right in saying this has always gone on, and I imagine to some degree it does in every city. Depends on who someone is, I'll bet. It IS something new to see cops so far beyond what we trust them to be that they feel free to come out and throw this right in the public's face.

Enough is Enough!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Interestingly what they are doing is shining light on the whole ticketing as a source of revenue policy governments have adopted. They claim it "is not a crime, it is a courtesy" and in business, bartender's are often afforded the professional privilege of extending courtesy to regular customers and buying them a drink, or your local butcher may use his privilege and extend you some professional courtesy and at a few extra ounces to that pound of beef. Police officers are not bartenders and butchers, nor are they agents of revenue raising for the city or town they work for. Their job is to enforce the law.

Which leads to my point; if you are being ticketed for some violation, that ticket is evidence that what ever it is you have done to merit the ticket is not a crime. Were it a crime, you would more than likely be arrested, or most assuredly be ticketed with no "professional courtesy" extended what-so-ever. A corrupt police officer might accept a bribe to turn their head to the crime, but such a thing is not "professional courtesy", it is corruption, and a crime itself. Wouldn't it be nice if police officers just extended this "professional courtesy" to everyone and stopped going into agreement with being revenue agents for the municipalities they work?

If I park my car in a way that undoubtedly obstructs your right to travel, this is not just some violation of a traffic ordinance, it is a denial and disparagement of your right to travel, and as such I have committed a crime. Not all traffic ordinances are merely means of revenue raising, but far too many are, and LEO's know this full well. Yet, some of them enforce this revenue raising so vehemently one would think they get a commission off of the tickets they dole out.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Where has ethics and morality gone? Cops theoretically should be a force we should look up to, and admire for being so brave. Nothing more then a fantasy now, and has been for awhile.

This really is shameful. They are protesting their right to break the law, while aggressively and sometimes violently/brutally policing OWS.

It's not a few bad apples, and hasn't been for a good deal of time. It's the culture. It's the mentality. Now they apparently aren't afraid to announce it for everyone to see.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I say any public servant should expect to be utterly transparent to the populace, whom they serve. Anything they say or do can, will, and should be used against them in a court of law, as well as to judge their character, etc. Some of you guys have been on a kick of using the word "entitlement" when referring to OWS...

This is the same thing. The POLICE are saying they should be entitled to what basically amounts to immunity of the law. Too many cops believe they get special privileges just because they are the "enforcers" of the law. Like the cop who got arrested the other day for speeding.

I hope they throw the book at them. This corruption exists at every level of public service/government...From the police force all the way up to the White House.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
professional privilege in the nypd is lending another officer crack to plant on the unarmed suspect they just shot 67 times.

so i can see why this is a petty issue for 500 "law enforcement officers".

by the way the police force in good shape, as i listened to an off-duty cop providing security go on a racist rant that would make the kkk nominate him grand imperial wizard of the united states.

his rant included how all "blacks" should be shot.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join