It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Warfare 3 First Impressions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

hey pbw- saw you online the other night! we will have to connect for sure after xmas

Yeah you'll see me on a lot as my ps3s are my media centers. Still stuck to playing bf1943 until xmas though :/

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Yes, picked it up today. Looking forward to playing it.

I never bought MW2, which is the only 'Call of Duty' game I didn't buy, so I guess it's happy days for me!!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It is pretty awsome.

Lvl 10 already and having a great time. The game runs like butter on my pc and looks great with no glitches soo far that I have discovered. Sure its the same old COD but all the extra glitz and glam they managed to squeeze in is paying off in my opinion. I have also played BF3 for the past week and COD is the winner for me.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Speaking for myself, and a bunch of my friends, I LOVED the latest instalment in the Call of Duty series. I got in line to wait for the release at 9:30 and it was packed and only got more packed. Home by 1:15, medicated, then turned it on and went straight for the campaign. Didn't sleep until I beat it either, a good 4 hours later. Storyline was exceptional in my opinion, had some familiar features but some new touches that made it even more livelier. Online multiplayer is just fantastic, very smooth and the new game type Kill Confirmed is a "blast". Weapons are great as well, customization is decent, new maps are fun, and the new perks are cool too. Highly recommended, this was by far my favourite release from the franchise yet!

Oh, and I got mine on the 360; Xbox fan for life!
edit on 9-11-2011 by concernedcitizen519 because: Provided Gaming Console

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
MW3 is as good as i thought it would be, not awesome or crap, just pretty good.
i like survival mode and the campain is fun too.
this game will return to the shelf when skyrim is out though.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I bought BF3 when it was released (only play campaign mode in these games) and was actually a bit disappointed.
The story line seemed similar to Black Ops with the flashbacks and such.

I do love the COD games and prefer the infinity ward versions better but am wondering if it's worth my $60 since their campaign modes are notorious for being very short.

IMO best single player campaign FPS was Battlefield Bad Company 2 because it had a decent length and great storyline with awesome voice acting.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
seeing as there is still no working crack for mw3, i might be picking it up soon. I've been playing bf3 and love it, i don't want to play mw3 for the online at all, i just want to see the story. The last 2 games had an epic story. I really loved mw2's story... so good... I'm assuming 3 will be a sequel due to the cliffhanger at the end one 2.

Main issue right now is, why pick it up when i have skyrim coming out on friday?!

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
PS3 gye here. Played for about 2 hours lastnight & I give it a
. It's very similiar to MW2 in the way the gameplay is which is a very good thing. Just played Domination until I get more familiar with the maps. The maps seem to be very good. I was hoping they would install the wager matches from Black Ops. I love the new kill streak rewards and the fact you can assign your streak to your particular class you are using.

1 complaint...I had this happen about 5 times and it was only when I was first trying to join matches. I kept getting server connection error. Once I was finally able to connect I didn't have any problems the rest of the way. But it did this to me on two different occassions

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I've always liked COD and think they really took off with the release of COD: MW in 2007.
Have played all the releases and even liked Black Ops

However, I bought Battlefield 3 in October and have to say... It's amazing, it's realism and graphics blew me away.

I could finally see what people had been saying about COD's "Run-and gun" dumb style of play.... I was really into BF3, It's immersive, vast and extremely realistic.
I'd often heard COD criticised for lacking in depth and not needing much skill or thought to play and sadly lacking in tactics, but I'd never known what those criticisms meant until now...

Now being yesterday when I purchased COD: MW3.... and how utterly disappointed I was with it.

Graphically It's just too "Cartoon-y" and feels clunky and slow, it's just run around like a headless chicken and shoot shoot shoot.... no team play, no thought.

And believe me... I was a HUGE COD fan... LOVED it.

I kind of wish I'd never played BF3... because I would probably have loved MW3.... however, I've actually played the best FPS ever released and absolutely love it... I of course am talking about Battlefield 3.

It is amazing.

Ditch the run and gun, teenagers wet dream that is COD MW3.... and play a PROPER FPS, an engaging and thoroughly rewarding gaming experience..... Play BF3

Yours sincerely,

A BF3 convert.

P.S. I've put my COD up for sale, hopefully I'll get more than the £25 I paid for it.. (Tesco deal) and actually make money on it.

edit on 9/11/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexanderDeLarge

You´re welcome. I was also missing a hardcore mode in BF3 but I happened to see a walkthrough trailer on XBOX Live were the option was pointed out.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Some new cool features in the most recent version. If you have multiple kill streak perks you get to decide what order you want to use them. That's a huge fix for me. Then last night playing demolition someone on the other team got Juggernaut armor! WTF! Try fighting a Juggernaut that's also equipped with a riot shield.
What else? You can deploy ballistic armor for your whole team to pick up.

Other interesting points are that you can level up your guns as well as your player. Sort of makes sense that the more you use a weapon the more deadly it will be for you. I like that change.

So far better kill streak rewards, better management of the streaks, some cool new maps, and a slicker upgrade in skill-sets and weapons.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I love COD games but MW3 has me pissed off!
I just purchased the pc version that has 2 discs.
The game needs to be registered through steam...no problem
Once the installation had finished I still could not play the game I JUST PAID FOR!!
Why? I hear you all ask.
Because I now have to download over 14gigs Yep 14!!! through steam as an update
What a bloody joke, did I not just pay for the game?
I should be able to take my brand new game out of the box and play it.
I only have access to wireless broadband and my high speed download limit is only
12gigs a month.
It would be nice if they would release the whole game on the disc ready to play
WTF ladies and gentlemen, WTF

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by weirdguy
I love COD games but MW3 has me pissed off!
I just purchased the pc version that has 2 discs.
The game needs to be registered through steam...no problem
Once the installation had finished I still could not play the game I JUST PAID FOR!!
Why? I hear you all ask.
Because I now have to download over 14gigs Yep 14!!! through steam as an update
What a bloody joke, did I not just pay for the game?
I should be able to take my brand new game out of the box and play it.
I only have access to wireless broadband and my high speed download limit is only
12gigs a month.
It would be nice if they would release the whole game on the disc ready to play
WTF ladies and gentlemen, WTF

Um, I had no such problem. The game installed in about 30 minutes followed by a small Steam update. I was playing within 40 minutes. I even installed it at work on the slow 7mb down internet to show all the guys and it was no problem. The office took turns playing on my pc all afternoon. Of coarse, me being the boss may have had something to do with that.

edit on 10-11-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by weirdguy

Just put the disk in the XBox and it worked like a charm for me. No steam hassles to deal with here.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Nope, the steam client still says 14,028 MB update

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Ok so the first two times I tried to install, for some reason the steam
client thought I was downloading the game not a disk install. I now have it
installing from disk properly.
It also happened to me when I installed
Red Orchestra 2 wich is also a cool game if you like WW2 stuff.
See you all on the battlefield yay

edit on 11-11-2011 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Love it. The killstreak options, new game modes, slick, tight graphics and movement. Way better than blackops.

I'm rockin Type 95 w/ rapid fire and hybrid site, assassin pro, blind eye pro and marksman perks, I'm support in killstreaks with ballistic vests, recon drone, and remote sentry. My goal is to have a positive ratio and keep uavs down.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

PROS:

-Camping in the traditional "cheap" sense has been pretty much eliminated due to the fact any "campable"
area has at least 3 approaches to get into, in addition to you only getting 1 claymore even with scavenger!

-Clutter, MW3 maps have a ton of "clutter" that allows one to take cover behind. This allows for some interesting gameplay strategies that you wouldn't usually see in other MW maps. In previous MW games the sniper/recon class didn't take a lot of skill, however in MW3 I have a great deal of respect for those who play sniper because its gotten incredibly difficult without knowing how to quickscope.

-The gun sounds are much more authentic and "robust" as well as the grenade/flashbang explosions. Actually pretty much all of the in-game sounds are more authentic.

-Kill-Streaks involve some thought and strategy now in complimenting what kind of role you would like to play and what perks strategy you are using! Overall its much more involved than simply picking 3 killstreaks and grinding until you get lucky enough to score and use some.

-Kill Confirmed game-type is a blast and is my new fovorite type over domination. To sucessfully play and win kill confirmed you have to travel in "packs" because the solo-rambo approach isn't very effective. I've seen some very interesting techniques play out in "kill confirmed" matches that force the team to work together or fail much more so than any other type game. I have a whole kit designed specifically for kill confirmed gameplay as the perks, kill streaks, and weapons are taylored to collecting dog tags.

-Leveling Weapons and Kit customization allow for more customization for playstyle and gamestyle which is always a good thing.

CONS:

-Kill streak Overload- One unfortunate side-effect of the new kill-streak design is it allows an overabundance of kill-streak rewards during one match. You will find yourself cowering in the nearest building for quite some-time as stealth-bomber after stealth-bombr after precision attack constantly spawn kill you. This is an irritance because many of the attacks are non-preventable and cannot be shot down or stop so at the very least you have to hunker down and wait it out, which sometimes seems to take forever.

-Respawn- One huge irritance of mine is the respawn, because your players or your respawn is on top of or very near eachother I find myself constantly "tripping up" or "blocking" because I'm competing with respawned players on top of me or players I am respawning on top of for "space".

Other than that I thouroughly enjoy the game!

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I bought it on Friday and finished the campaign yesterday, its beginning to show its age and seems less challenging than MW2.
I loved the intricacy of the storytelling in black opps (This remains my favourite installment) however this was lacking in MW3.
As the final credits rolled, I felt the best bits were crammed in at the start which left the ending a little hollow. The gameplay is fluid and feels familiar but for me, run and gun gameplay is no longer enough to make this more than just a weekend's worth of fun.

Its like the game industry is no longer trying anymore, gears3, fifa12, LA noire, dead island, operation flashpoint red river have all been disappointing, perhaps the industry is out of new ideas?

Hopefully Mass Effect 3 will restore my faith?

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Being a huge fan of MW2. I am not disappointed in this release what-so-ever. Its very similar to 2 but brings some new and interesting things to the table. I am almost ready to prestige and the leveling progresses pretty well. The new weapons are great and the old ones are just as good as before. There are a few minor issues with certain spawn locations on certain maps, some minor hit detection problems, but in time it will be patched and things will only get better.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join