It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long thread titles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Can there be some clarification on long thread titles?

I see a lot of members that post a thread with a title that always gets cut off. I don't know if they read the rules or not but they don't need a title that big to make a point.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Thread titles should be within the character limit alotted.

If brought to the attention of the staff we will generally U2U the member and advised them of the issue, they normally will go back and edit.

I think a lot of the time they just don't notice it got cut off. The only exclusion to this is the BPN and BAN forums as you must use the exact headling.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Can you tell us the character limit for thread titles?

I've run into that wall a few times before and had to go back and fix after posting a thread. Sometimes you need to use a lot of words to properly describe what some threads are about but, I can see why they put a limit on it; who wants to read a thread title a couple of paragraphs long in the list of recent threads.

I'm sure there are some folks out there who would do that if they could get away with it.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I just counted them out

It's about 90 characters.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Thanks for the info. That's good to know.

Although, I'm usually too busy trying to git my spellin rite to count the number of characters when I type things out.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

The field will actually stop you if you are typing it out.

It only cuts it off or lets you go beyond the limit if you copy/paste and then it just auto cuts it off.

So the best thing to know for real-zies is to actually type out your title.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I just ran a test and it allowed me to type a whole, big, giant line of gibberish into the thread title box, without ever cutting me off.

I must've been typing random letters for a few minutes strait and it didn't cut me off.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Hmm..

Weird..

Oh also, just an FYI, you can get around the 5000 character count in posts by filling it to max and then posting, then editing.

Once you edit the post it removes the character limitation for posts.

I

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

That made it worth my while to read this thread! I just made a 5500 word post and I couldn't post it so I had to break it into 2 smaller posts.

Next time that happens, I'll know how to keep it all in one post!

Thanks!

top topics

join