It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No sound with Windows 7

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

It said the drivers I was trying to install don't support my computers hardware

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJKris

It said the drivers I was trying to install don't support my computers hardware

Can you let us know what type of system this is?

Is it something you build or a prebuilt brand? If it's like an HP or something please let us know the model and any hardware changes you've made.

I want you to hear the music, damnit!

Specifically it would be very helpful to know what mobo it is.

Thanks!

edit on 8-11-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

This is a computer that was built by the computer firm who used to maintain the PC's where I used to work. I managed to aquire it when someone left and I've just gotten round to doing something with it. I've upgraded it from 2gb of RAM to 4gb and installed a secondary HDD since it needed a boost, I've also added an old ATI Video Card with a 3 lead input (L&R audio + Video).

Here are some of the specs that Belarc gave me:

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 05/11/2011 16:34:05

System Model
No details available

Processor
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Main Circuit Board
Board: Intel Corporation D865GLC AAC28906-409
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. BF86510A.86A.0063.P18.0406220349 06/22/2004

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24D1
Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB

Display
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter [Display adapter]
LG M1917TM [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 65424, January 2006)

Bus Adapters
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

Multimedia
None discovered

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ok, awesome.

Try the audio driver here (official intel driver)

Before installing, make sure to uninstall all old audio drivers.

When you install this driver package, right click, go to properties, then to compatibility, make sure you are running as administrator and also in compatibility mode for winxp sp2 or sp3.

This really should work.. Let me know.

I guess the soundmax driver designation is Window's generic identification for ac97 devices?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
just install the audio driver from your computers website..dell.com, hp.com, w//e ur comp is..

that should fix it

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whatwentwrong11001
just install the audio driver from your computers website..dell.com, hp.com, w//e ur comp is..

that should fix it

The manufacturer doesn't support this board anymore. There are no drivers for Vista/Win7.

That's why we're going to try to trick Win7 into using the manufacturer's WinXP driver.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Honestly, I'm not as thick as I sound today, but how to I switch to XP compatibility mode? I'm still getting used to Windows 7

edit on 8/11/11 by DJKris because: Typo

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DJKris

Np at all.

Just right click on the driver package, then open the Properties dialogue.

You should see a compatibility tab with radio buttons to activate various features. Make sure "run as administrator" is checked and also check the box for WinXP SP2 (or SP3, either should work just fine.)

Just FYI, you'll use this often when installing older software if it isn't running properly on Win7. Win7 can emulate on a case by case bases older versions of Windows. This is Microsoft's answer to users with older systems, or corporate "homegrown" software that was designed for an older version.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
UPDATES?!?!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
UPDATES?!?!

Sorry, whilest waiting for it to download I had my dinner a stuck a film on. Got it installing now. Will update in about 10 mins

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Thank you so much! First the good news. I now have perfect sound (well as perfect as my monitor allows) finally! However there was one cause of concern upon reboot. 1st time I tried to reboot the PC it froze on the Windows loading screen, I left it about 5 minutes and nothing so I hit reset. This time it started fine, however I got an error message pop up that read "No ADI Codec driver is installed" Is this something I need to be concerned about and what do I do to fix it? In fact, what is it? I have a vague understanding that codecs are what makes certain types of videos give you a picture or play audio and that without you may play a video with no sound or maybe no picture, but I installed a codec pack a couple of days ago which with XP used to cover everything that tended to crop up.

Thanks again though for helping me fix the audio problem, and the advice on the XP Compatibility will no doubt come in handy with some of the old software I continue to use. You don't by chance have any knowledge of Microsoft Works version 8 do you?

EDIT: Actually I'm gonna try and get Works verison 9, so if anyone knows anything about it, here's the problem I have. At the office (and now at home) I used to use MS Works version 7, this allowed you to very easily add shortcut buttons to the toolbar in Database, annoyingly though in version 8 I could never find out how to do this so I tended to revert back to the older version. If anyone knows if/how this is done I would appreaciate it

edit on 8/11/11 by DJKris because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
That ADI Codec Driver might not be an issue..

It's a component of the Intel driver package - I'd mess around a bit to see if you have any problems playing audio/video files of various types. If you come across an issue this might be the culprit.

I don't know anything about Works, sorry. =

Glad you're up and running, if that codec issue gives you trouble you can always U2U me.

Just a thought - the ADI codec message might be due to the compatibility profile you chose. I'm reading that Microsoft addressed this issue with a hotfix, but you're never going to receive that hotfix as it was for WinXP SP3. If you chose SP2 you might want to uninstall and reinstall trying SP3 to see if the problem persists. If you chose SP3 you might want to change it to SP2. Both would require reinstalling the drivers.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Thanks, I chose SP2. Since it's working I won't mess with it for now, but if I start to have any problems I'll uninstall and reinstall. Thanks again for your help. Don't worry about the Works thing, I'll get v9 and if it has the same problem I'll start a thread on here and hope that somone knows the answer. You've been an absolute star, thank you

<< 1   >>

join