It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Bush Got Into the Texas Guard's "Champagne" Unit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here's a good'n. Maybe, just maybe the media will HAVE to start going after Bush on his disappearing act.

Ben Barnes to break silence on "60 Minutes"
The Republican campaign gets ready for shock waves, as the former Texas official who says he pulled strings to get George W. Bush into the Air National Guard finally goes public.

By Eric Boehlert

Sept. 1, 2004 | The campaign battle over Vietnam War records is still raging, but President Bush may soon be the one answering uncomfortable questions about his past service. Ben Barnes, the former lieutenant governor of Texas, will finally break his silence and talk to the press about what role he played in helping Bush get a coveted slot in the Texas Air National Guard in 1968. Sources say Barnes has already sat down for a "60 Minutes" interview that will air next week. A "60 Minutes" spokesperson declined to comment, saying the program does not discuss reports that are in progress.

Barnes made headlines last week when his videotaped comments that he was "very ashamed" of getting Bush into the National Guard began circulating on the Web. He said the remorse was prompted by a recent visit to the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, where he saw the names of thousands of other young men who did not enjoy the connections of the Bush family. Barnes made his comments in May and the video was posted on a pro-Kerry Web site in June, but word of it only began to spread widely last Friday.
www.salon.com...

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

[edit on 3-9-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
ECK, Barnes is a partisan Democrat. I find it funny that he would "come out" now. Why didn't he bring this up when Bush ran for Governor of Texas or in 2000 when Bush ran against Gore. This is nothing more that a smear job that the Democrats love to run.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
ECK, Barnes is a partisan Democrat. ... Why didn't he bring this up when Bush ran for Governor of Texas or in 2000 when Bush ran against Gore. This is nothing more that a smear job that the Democrats love to run.

Let me put it in small words for you.

He said the remorse was prompted by a recent visit to the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington
You see it finally became reality to him when he visited the wall.

, where he saw the names of thousands of other young men
Who died as a result of serving honorably in the military, many of whom were drafted.
(Draft - a device used to fill the ranks of the military fighting force with unwilling people).

who did not enjoy the connections of the Bush family.
That is self explanitory.

Barnes made his comments in May
That was just within this last year, do you think that maybe he had just visited the Wall?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
He was prompted by Kerry to take off the heat from all the Vietnam Vets. Don't give me the I've been to the wall epiphany crap.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think if I went to the wall I'd be pretty moved. A lot of grown men have cried looking at that thing.

He's not the only one coming out of the woodwork on Bush's service. It probably has more to do with those Swift Boat liars attempted smear of Kerry. Here's another example:

George W. Bush's missing year
The widow of a Bush family confidant says her husband gave the future president an Alabama Senate campaign job as a favor to his worried father. Did they see him do any National Guard service? "Good lord, no."

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Mary Jacoby

Sept. 2, 2004 | NEW YORK -- Before there was Karl Rove, Lee Atwater or even James Baker, the Bush family's political guru was a gregarious newspaper owner and campaign consultant from Midland, Texas, named Jimmy Allison. In the spring of 1972, George H.W. Bush phoned his friend and asked a favor: Could Allison find a place on the Senate campaign he was managing in Alabama for his troublesome eldest son, the 25-year-old George W. Bush?

"The impression I had was that Georgie was raising a lot of hell in Houston, getting in trouble and embarrassing the family, and they just really wanted to get him out of Houston and under Jimmy's wing," Allison's widow, Linda, told me. "And Jimmy said, 'Sure.' He was so loyal."

Linda Allison's story, never before published, contradicts the Bush campaign's assertion that George W. Bush transferred from the Texas Air National Guard to the Alabama National Guard in 1972 because he received an irresistible offer to gain high-level experience on the campaign of Bush family friend Winton "Red" Blount. In fact, according to what Allison says her late husband told her, the younger Bush had become a political liability for his father, who was then the United States ambassador to the United Nations, and the family wanted him out of Texas. "I think they wanted someone they trusted to keep an eye on him," Linda Allison said.
www.salon.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   

He was prompted by Kerry to take off the heat from all the Vietnam Vets. Don't give me the I've been to the wall epiphany crap.

Obviously you've never visited the "the wall".

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
His decision to come clean may have been politically motivated; it could also have been legitimate. As a veteran it burns me up that Kerry's war record has been so maligned, when he is clearly backed by Naval records and eyewitness testimony.
As John Dean wrote, Kerry should sue John O'Neill and his band of Swift Boat sell-outs for defamation of character and for malice. After the election. He'd win bigtime. (Barry Goldwater's case would be the precadent.)

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Obviously you've never visited the "the wall".

Yes, I have I go there atleast twice a month. I see my brother's name, the name's of cousins, name's of friends. I did not mean that the wall can not move someone, It can. This was not Barnes first trip to the wall.

ECK, I checked Kerry's Naval records, I found inconsistencies. What burns me is the fact that everyone assume's that because Kerry is running for President we have to take his word that he is telling the truth. Why doesn't Kerry sue. I wish he would, then we can find out who telling the truth and who's lying. We all know that Kerry has already lied about his time in Vietnam, Christmas in Cambodia? And since when did four months become two tours of duty in Vietnam? Kerry's latest revealation.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Based on all available evidence, Kerry would clean O'Neill's clock in court. John Dean makes a solid case for it. And he's no lightweight. I'd love to see O'Neill's humiliation. Sorry, that's just how low in gutter this is.

The New Book Attacking Kerry's War Record:
How It Defames the Candidate, and Why He Should Sue
By JOHN W. DEAN

Vietnam swift boat veteran John O'Neill has picked up just where he left off in his 1971 debate with presidential candidate Senator John Kerry. O'Neill has joined with some of his former Navy comrades to oppose Kerry's candidacy. But this time, O'Neill is interested in a different kind of debate. It is called mudslinging.

The Swiftees-- as these Navy veterans like to call themselves -- have launched a series of vicious negative campaign television ads. The ads are meant to complement O'Neill's book Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry.

O'Neill's coauthor is his old friend Jerome R. Corsi, an experienced mud thrower whose prior targets have been the Pope, Jews and Muslims. In Unfit For Command, they repeat many of the 1971 charges - and add more from other Swiftees. To assert that these stories are biased, one-sided, distorted, and incomplete would be overly kind.

Will the book do what its authors hope - and help George W. Bush in the election? I doubt it. This is exactly the type of campaign activity that turns off more voters than it turns on, as shown in Stephen Ansolabehere and Shanto Iyengar's insightful book, Going Negative: How Political Advertisements Shrink & Polarize the Electorate.

How should Kerry deal with the attacks? He should take a page from the playbook of the last U.S. Senator to receive his party's presidential nomination: Barry Goldwater, in 1964. Goldwater suffered the same type of attack, and set a precedent as to how to counter it: Sue.
writ.news.findlaw.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
John Dean should talk, He trashed Kerry in the primary, but I guess that's okay now. I would like Kerry to sue. lets see all the evidence, If the Swifties are wrong, then let them pay.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
One thing that aggrivates me about Kerry is that he's so patrician and collegial it's hurting him. He's got to realize just what he's fighting here and take the gloves off. I know Howard Dean did. He blasted the establishment, right and left. Damn, I miss him.

He should definitely sue. He'd win, hands down. I just wouldn't want him to do it until after the election, regardless of whether he's the president or not.

new topics

top topics

join