It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

Originally posted by LeRoy1968

Originally posted by ELahrairah
reply to post by DarkKnight21

It's difficult for me to articulate my thoughts on truth it would probably take a whole essay but I have thought much about the possibility that all reality is subjective.

I mean what you and I see with our eyes in a sense is not real. Light reflects off objects and strikes rods and cones in the eye
which send impulses to the brain.
The brain uses these impulses to construct an image of this world.
Is this image real or a virtual reality made by the brain?
I read some where that the brain will get lazy sometimes and reconstruct entire scenes based on what the brain remembers about a certain setting it will then switch to the actual physical senses once something new enters that setting.
edit on 7-11-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

Yet I think there is truth and then there is TRUTH. If you know what I mean.

Like White Lies.....kinda like that?

No I mean that the version of an event as stated by a person might be wrong but it's how that person saw it. So it's not a lie but rather just not what actually happened though that person is being honest in what he or she saw so they're telling the truth but what they saw isn't what actually happened so it's not THE TRUTH. I hope that explains what I'm thinking.

Can you give me an example?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LeRoy1968

This belongs in your thread...

To add to my Truth

The Truth, the Life, and the Way

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I saw a version of truth that I didn't like, I can't shake, and it scared the heck out of me. I think none of us can really process this truth fully.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMatrixusesYou
I saw a version of truth that I didn't like, I can't shake, and it scared the heck out of me. I think none of us can really process this truth fully.

I can Respect that.....

It looks like you've experienced a realty that doesn't bring Peace for you.
May I ask what scared you? The thought of dying or the event you were witnessing?
I hope you find Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingsac

I wholeheartily agree with you. Whenever anyone describes thier truths, it always sounds like they are describing the same thing to me. I know one truth though, when we seek other things to satisfy our spiritual needs like money or power or material things, we lose the true essence of who we are as humans. We become a gross characature of a person of which most of us never return from.

I can Respect this......
When giving feels better than getting, we can start a beautiful journey!!!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
There is a red balloon in front of some kids that suddenly blown out.
The basic truth is red balloon blown out, but why? Everyone think what make it blown away.
A kid think it is because the wind too strong, another said because the weather is too hot.

The truth will always be the truth, no matter what those kids thinking. A kid might know why it happened, while the others just think what they want.
It is opinions, conclusion, and believe that subjective. Because truth not depends on these kids, their opinions, conclusion or believe. Ones cant get near the truth if they dont want to learn truth.
A kid will know the truth when his opinions, his conclusions and his believe is the same with the truth and explain the truth, the real truth why red balloon blown out.

Peace

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by maung

I can Respect this....

Wow, that actually makes sense.......

I read about this Philosophy in the Laozi....

It is the closest to a religion I can understand.......

Peace

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

As it all comes to a close, we are the witnesses of truth. Truth is what is revealed to us in the end. This is then compared to the reflection we possess from a life (or lives) lived. Light reflects off of substance to reveal the form and color of the substance. Light also reflects from thought in the same manner. Truth emerges as we examine the reflection. The more effort we put into the examination, the closer we come in this life to seeing what we will see clearly in the next. We are the witnesses at this point, not the judge. In later existence, we will use this reflection of material life to then see truth clearly by its opposites found in this reflection. Its not possible to see truth unless the infinity of truth is known. The journey back to infinity takes reflection from more than this life.

The point here for us is to divide the darkness from the light. This truth is already written on our hearts. We are the only ones that can stand in the way of seeing the light. Our pride blinds us if we cling to pride as our source of truth. If we release our pride, life then takes on an entirely new meaning. Love is the only law that guides a person to truth. Apart from loving God and others, pride continues to show the wrong path and can only be seen as counterfeit.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I can respect this.....

I see you have done a lot of pondering on this subject.
I can agree that this is a plausible theory.
I hope you're on to something.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Problem is, that their can only be one truth. How ignorant, arrogant,and self-centered one must be to think the sufficiency of man lies within.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

It's difficult for me to articulate my thoughts on truth it would probably take a whole essay but I have thought much about the possibility that all reality is subjective.

I mean what you and I see with our eyes in a sense is not real. Light reflects off objects and strikes rods and cones in the eye
I read some where that the brain will get lazy sometimes and reconstruct entire scenes based on what the brain remembers about a certain setting it will then switch to the actual physical senses once something new enters that setting.

Yet I think there is truth and then there is TRUTH. If you know what I mean.

Like White Lies.....kinda like that?

No I mean that the version of an event as stated by a person might be wrong but it's how that person saw it. So it's not a lie but rather just not what actually happened though that person is being honest in what he or she saw so they're telling the truth but what they saw isn't what actually happened so it's not THE TRUTH. I hope that explains what I'm thinking.

Can you give me an example?

Well some guys might do a grab and dash at a shop. Police interview people in the shop and some people might remember there being 4 while others remember 6 but the CCTV might show 5.

What I mean is that there's truth based on perception which wouldn't be a lie as it's how it's perceived by the observer but then there's the actual truth.

This is one of the reasons why when something goes down and gets in the media that different medias report the same thing but with different versions because they're interviewing different bystanders who had a different perception and it's not until the police get to the bottom of it that the actual truth comes out.

edit on 8-11-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Yeah, there are plenty of cases involving the brain interfering with sensory input in isolation tanks. Descartes would argue that this reality is just as deceptive as a dream.

Suppose you have two adult men: Jim and Peter. Jim makes a friendly gesture to Peter, who takes it as being hit on. So in his reality, Jim is gay. In fact, Jim is happily married and straight.

So there can be no two truths. There is perceptive reality and true reality. Judgments and facts. Our inhibition usually allows us to put these two together, though our judgments are not always perfect and we are sometimes wrong. This would suggest that we must hold our judgments to some higher standard that is always "right". This standard being truth.
edit on 8-11-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

You know I sometimes think about stuff like this till it drives me crazy.
Good point about the two peoples perspective.

edit on 8-11-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

Good point!! I think I've come to the conclusion that, it isn't meant for us to figure out.
Everyone's Truth is different. As long as your truth doesn't cause me and mine harm....We're good.

Thank You for the insight
Peace.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Now that makes sense to me!!
I gotta chew on this one a bit......

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Yeah, there are plenty of cases involving the brain interfering with sensory input in isolation tanks. Descartes would argue that this reality is just as deceptive as a dream.

Suppose you have two adult men: Jim and Peter. Jim makes a friendly gesture to Peter, who takes it as being hit on. So in his reality, Jim is gay. In fact, Jim is happily married and straight.

So there can be no two truths. There is perceptive reality and true reality. Judgments and facts. Our inhibition usually allows us to put these two together, though our judgments are not always perfect and we are sometimes wrong. This would suggest that we must hold our judgments to some higher standard that is always "right". This standard being truth.

yes, Yes, YES!! I can wrap my mind around this!!

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
You know I sometimes think about stuff like this till it drives me crazy.
Good point about the two peoples perspective.

Me too!! The more I learn, the more I know, that, I don't know and that can get exhausting
at times.... In those times...I wish I could find faith, but that isn't likely to happen.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21

This is a true story.

An Italian couple moved to Australia. They joined a gym. Several complaints soon followed about the couple making advances in the form of moving in very close to the other gym members when talking and always touching descretely, a brush here a brush there. The Aussies were telling the truth.

At the same time the Italian couple found the Aussies to be standoffish and uneasy around the couple and stated this when the complaint was brought to the attention of management and believed it was because they were Italian . The Italian couple were telling the truth.

Neither of the observations were real truths.

The personal space of the newly arrived Italians was 30cm and it's ok to touch

The personal space of the Australians is 45cm and it's not ok to touch within this space. Australians hold their arm out further than Italians for a handshake.

The Italians were entering the personal space of the Aussies without knowing it. A space reserved for family, close friends and courting couples.

The Italians were correct in their appraisal of the attitude of the Aussies but the reason as to why was wrong.

Yes it was because they were Italians and no it wasn't because they were Italians.

It wasn't until the husband of one of the gym members was told about it that THE REAL TRUTH was known. The husband was a body language expert.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

I completely get this concept. I have my own personal space issues....
The Truth is a funny thing......

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join