It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Have They Done To Us? Remember When Men And Women Looked And Acted Like Men And Women?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What have they done to us?

Men use to be masculine and were treated that way.They played hockey and football with hardly any protective gear on at all...

Men use to go to work and not have to worry about their wives and girlfriends cheating on them anywhere near as much as they do now...

Men wore suits,dress shirts and ties most of the time and they wore hats all the time and never had long hair...

Men use to be able to support their wives and kids,buy a house,have a car,build a savings account and go on vacation all with one job...

Women use to look like what a woman always looked like...

Women never use to run around acting like,one of the guys,out bar hopping and swearing with a loud mouth...

Women would never even consider getting a tattoo,or wearing jeans and getting their hair butched,cruising around on motorcycles wearing workboots...

Women use to be feminine and they were treated that way.They acted like ladies,they actually wore dresses and had manners...

Their kids use to play in the woods...

Their kids use to dig in the dirt...

Their kids use to ride their bikes with no helmets on...

Their kids use to play in play grounds made of metal...

Their kids respected their parents and most kids had a mom and a dad at home...

Every young girl got a doll or a dress for her birthday...

Every young boy got toy pistols or a rifle for his birthday...

edit on 7-11-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Liberalism , The Mental Illness of the 21st Century............

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Your right, what a shame it is to be progressive, how terrible to not be saddled with sex role stereotypes, man do I ever miss the repression and discrimination. thank god we never had to deal with things like male nurses and female politicians in the past.... what a good time the old days were....
edit on 7/11/2011 by osirys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Your post reminded me of this song.

Notice the woman wearing a dress, and the guys all wearing suits?

Those were the days........

edit on 7-11-2011 by supine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by blocula

Liberalism , The Mental Illness of the 21st Century............

You mean freedom? right? I don't think you can blame this on the liberals...when they only make up 20% of the population...there was just a thread on that today.

You have to take the good with the bad.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

edit on 7-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by osirys

" Your right, what a shame it is to be progressive, how terrible to not be saddled with sex role stereotypes, man do I ever miss the repression and discrimination. thank god we never had to deal with things like male nurses and female politicians in the past.... what a good time the old days "

Now that you have pointed out some of the Negatives of a Past American Culture , wouldn't it be Fair to mention a few of the Good and Nobel things of our Past ? You know , like Self-Sufficiency, Hard Work , the Refusal of Charity if you could Support Yourself, A Belief in Christian Virtues, Politeness to ones Neighbors, Civic Pride, Etc.........?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Maybe because people wanted to be themselves?

I will admit though that there tends to be prejudice against those who naturally fir those stereotypical masculine and feminine roles, and our current society has made it near impossible for those who do want to live the 50's model of what a family used to look like or anything similar.

However everyone is different and those roles don't appeal to everyone, people should be true to themselves, whether it is the stereotypical macho male, metrosexual, the June Cleaver wife ect.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Just think codpieces use to be more common...

Whats "cool" constantly changes and becomes the norm. . .

it's kinda weird, and if you ask me Men were dressing fairly feminine circa 1984.

I guess really it comes down to this when it comes to men, we do whatever it takes to accentuate the genital area...

+2 more 
link   
Ahh yes the past.

When men were REAL men

link   
reply to post by Ghost375

" 20% of the population "

And 80 Percent Guilty of Corupting our Society with their Misguided Activeism .......

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Your post reminded me of this song.

Notice the woman wearing a dress, and the guys all wearing suits?

Those were the days........

A beautiful, number one song, sung by Mary Hopkins and written by Paul McCartney...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I say I have to agree..I'm female and would step back in time any day. I think most of the problems today are because of govt handouts, welfare mama's and lack of structured home life and education. Once Dad's wimped out and women became whores with several "baby daddies" we started to fall apart.

Sorry ladies..but I have to agree..let's go back..at least have some family values and morals.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The times they are a changin.
Well, they always changed. And so have gender roles.
If you are referring to the culture and values of the American century, you are correct. They have been undermined, and while I have to appreciate some of the advances we've made in many areas, you are correct in saying that our current culture/values mostly reflect a severe decline of American society.

While a full reversion to the past would only fail, I think embracing some of the values that made this nation great would be a wonderful thing. Don't see it happening, though.
People are not very big into freedom, self reliance, personal responsibility, etc.
We can leave the racism behind.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
Maybe because people wanted to be themselves?

I will admit though that there tends to be prejudice against those who naturally fir those stereotypical masculine and feminine roles, and our current society has made it near impossible for those who do want to live the 50's model of what a family used to look like or anything similar.

However everyone is different and those roles don't appeal to everyone, people should be true to themselves, whether it is the stereotypical macho male, metrosexual, the June Cleaver wife ect.
Men who acted and looked like men wearing,dress shirts, suits and ties and women who looked and acted like women wearing dresses goes back a lot longer than the 1950's...It was the same in the 1940's,1930's,1920's,1910's and earlier than that...Right through the 1800's and even further into the past...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Lots of men and women did then what they do today. It just was not always as acceptable to talk about or own up to doing.

Want to know something really scary? All those crazy things you do in bed during sex? Your Grandma did them to.

All the stuff we do today. I assure you it is not a brand new product of the past 25 years or so....

Now that is not to say that all men and women then acted the way men and women do today.... Same goes for today. Not all men and women act that way today.... But it happens, today and yesterday...

The only difference is what is acceptable to talk about.
edit on 7-11-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Definitions of masculinity and femininity change all the time. Back in the good old days, men used to write poetry! In fact, studying poetry from Ancient Greece all the way to 1700 and 1800's, men comprised 99.99 percent of authors. Nowadays, writing poetry is considered "girly". I don't think it is because "they" have done anything to us. I think we as a culture have come to a different understanding about what masculinity and femininity are, and a good portion of people are starting to think that masculinity and femininity is not tied to your genitalia. It has nothing to do with anything "they" have done to us. We do these things to ourselves. As a culture, the youth are starting to think that masculinity and femininity are not rigid concepts like the youth of the 50's believed. You may not agree with it, but it is happening whether you like it or not.

As for people who want to go back to what we were, that is all well and good for YOU to go back to what we were, but it is absolutely not okay to advocate changing society because of something YOU want. If you would like to be a 50's housewife and not be included in financial decisions and be given an allowance by your husband because he is the only provider of income, that is fine, but it is not how I want to live, and I would appreciate you not telling me that I should live a certain way because YOU think it is the right way.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by osirys

" Your right, what a shame it is to be progressive, how terrible to not be saddled with sex role stereotypes, man do I ever miss the repression and discrimination. thank god we never had to deal with things like male nurses and female politicians in the past.... what a good time the old days "

Now that you have pointed out some of the Negatives of a Past American Culture , wouldn't it be Fair to mention a few of the Good and Nobel things of our Past ? You know , like Self-Sufficiency, Hard Work , the Refusal of Charity if you could Support Yourself, A Belief in Christian Virtues, Politeness to ones Neighbors, Civic Pride, Etc.........?

"You know , like Self-Sufficiency, Hard Work , the Refusal of Charity if you could Support Yourself, A Belief in Christian Virtues, Politeness to ones Neighbors, Civic Pride, Etc.........?"

I practice these things, the only thing is I think you don't have to be Christian, I have strong spiritual beliefs and values but I believe in aspects from multiple religions and philosophies. Oh, and I'm 19 and self employed, going to college(part time), and actually do volunteer work without being forced to.

Can't blame society or generalize, everyone should be responsible for themselves.
edit on 7-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Men use to be masculine and were treated that way.They played hockey and football with hardly any protective gear on at all...

Men use to go to work and not have to worry about their wives and girlfriends cheating on them anywhere near as much as they do now...

Men wore suits,dress shirts and ties most of the time and they wore hats all the time and never had long hair...

Men use to be able to support their wives and kids,buy a house,have a car,build a savings account and go on vacation all with one job...

Women use to look like what a woman always looked like...

Women never use to run around acting like,one of the guys,out bar hopping and swearing with a loud mouth...

Women would never even consider getting a tattoo,or wearing jeans and getting their hair butched,cruising around on motorcycles wearing workboots...

Women use to be feminine and they were treated that way.They acted like ladies,they actually wore dresses and had manners...

Their kids use to play in the woods...

Their kids use to dig in the dirt...

Their kids use to ride their bikes with no helmets on...

Their kids use to play in play grounds made of metal...

Their kids respected their parents and most kids had a mom and a dad at home...

Every young girl got a doll or a dress for her birthday...

Every young boy got toy pistols or a rifle for his birthday...

You are in error...what have we actually allowed ''them" to do to us? Which of us didn't pay any attention, because we were being seduced by the "American Dream" instead?
I may not agree with all of what you've stated, but "we" were without a doubt inattentive to what was evolving around us.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Lots of men and women did then what they do today. It just was not always as acceptable to talk about or own up to doing.

The overwhelmingly vast majority of people did not...Just watch a candid street scene in NY city filmed in the 1930's 40's or 50's...And then look at a candid street scene filmed on the exact same street now...It is frightening...

The de-masculinization of men and the de-feminization of women...

But what exactly is the goal and the aim of TPTB and their media in doing this to society?...Are we more easily controlled? Or is it just another of the end times signs?...

Just like Mother Shipton said in her prophecy...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join