It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another quake, Tulsa OK

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

and now you're making light of what the Japanese went through with your tsunami comment?

Geez dude, it was a joke. The point was that now it seems as though the only thing that would have that "Scared" feeling would be a tsunami or something.

I am perfectly aware what Japan went through, however you look at it though this is nothing like Japan. A tsunami is impossible. That's why i put it. For ironic effect.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I agree. The flippant attitudes are not true and everyone knows it. False bravado gets irritating to read in attempt to find out on topic information.

Anyone faced with a tornado on top of them or an earthquake beneath them had better heed it or something is very seriously wrong with them. No matter how many you've seen or been through. We've all seen the videos of Joplin.

Take both very seriously.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by intrptr

Yah? Can an earthquake toss a cow several kilometers? I think not.

You guys have cows?
Dude, they have cows.
What are those?
Those things we eat at McDonalds.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dreams n chains

Man, the flippant attitudes have nothing to do with being unprepared or not taking it seriously. Its about being jaded to the presence of them. I am sure a few Oklahomans dash into their bathrooms when the sirens go off, but the vast majority dont even break stride.

If it comes close to us, then we start getting everything ready.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I wish McDonalds sold us cow...

McRib? How about Mc turn you into ****

------
Is it me or is anyone else feeling a light shaking when sitting still or lying down. I never really took notice of it until recently. It bugs me out.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

The storms are rolling in right now, and I have the windows and curtains open and the lights off so I can enjoy the smells and sounds of all that booming, ozone and rain in the air!

When I read that just now, it was almost like I could see and feel what you were describing.
I'm jealous...
Been a long time in SF Bay Area since a good boomer rolled thru. We miss it. Sounds better than TV.
Enjoy.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Just curious...anyone know if this is a transform fault of a divergent in that area?

I'm not familiar with the area and it's geological make-up!

They believe the 5.6 (which appears to be the same area as this most recent) was the Wilzetta Fault (aka Seminole Uplift) which is a strike-slip fault. There are a few different faults in that area.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by dreams n chains

Man, the flippant attitudes have nothing to do with being unprepared or not taking it seriously. Its about being jaded to the presence of them. I am sure a few Oklahomans dash into their bathrooms when the sirens go off, but the vast majority dont even break stride.

If it comes close to us, then we start getting everything ready.

Probably because the gov't and its parent corporations have trained us to distract ourselves with high tech toys and a culture that makes us think what clothes we wear and jobs we hold makes us who we are.

Its perfect for when things get real and they can make the depopulation look... natural.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

Probably because the gov't and its parent corporations have trained us to distract ourselves with high tech toys and a culture that makes us think what clothes we wear and jobs we hold makes us who we are.

No, its probably because we have tornadoes here all the time.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ecidemon

Had to look up what a strike-slip fault was. This is what I found in case anyone else was curious.
www.iris.edu...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I thought this was a quake thread, not tornado. Pretty sure Saturday's quake was a record and a 4+ mag 3 days after is not normal for that area.

I was trying to agree with you playa, but you don't seem to be having a good night

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Is it me or is anyone else feeling a light shaking when sitting still or lying down. I never really took notice of it until recently. It bugs me out.

We get that out here. After a quake your senses are on alert for the slightest movement. Its called the "jitters". It helps to have a lamp hanging from the ceiling. You look close at that. If it is bone still, its just nerves. If it sways or turns even a little, then you're Spidey Sense is working. That way you learn to gauge your reactions. You can also watch your pets. Dogs bark sometimes during events. They just as unbalanced as us. The earth is supposed to be solid.

Could be though that the fault is "slipping" steady for a bit. In SF '89 the day after, one aftershock went on for over an hour! Seismographs reflect that there was steady low level (about 1.5) movement for what seemed an eternity. If you lie down and stay still you might feel it. Just at the threshold of sensory perception. Check your USGS data for "durations" of events.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I hate to be the wet blanket here...but I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't all be filling gas cans and topping last minute preparations.. These are a lot of quakes and things on any normal day ... and this is not a normal day or week. This is a week some of us have been eyeing for months. I was hoping nothing at all would happen, but that's starting to become an open question...?

Another quake over 6 within the next 12 hours in a new place and I'll be off with a pick-up full of empty gas cans to make full ones.

European Earthquake Tracking Data for 5. and above, for the last few days.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I'm beginning to wonder if there are more EQs happening then reported, but that lamp idea is a good idea.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Found simple link to description of how waves move thru the earth. P,S, and L waves account for the varied feelings and noises that contribute to differing aspects of any size quake. The banging noises(P), the up an downs or rocking(L), and the deep rolling motions(S) are all part of the same event. PLS have a look if you like...
science.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Yes,there are.
You can download and install a free program called Global Earthquake Explorer to see them in real time. There are several threads about GEE here. Its a very easy program to use, and can many times tell you if it is or isn`t a quake.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought
reply to post by Ecidemon

Had to look up what a strike-slip fault was. This is what I found in case anyone else was curious.
www.iris.edu...

2] STRIKE-SLIP FAULT
In a strike-slip fault, the movement of blocks along a fault is horizontal. If the block on the far side of the fault moves to the left, as shown in this animation, the fault is called left-lateral. If the block on the far side moves to the right, the fault is called right-lateral. The fault motion of a strike-slip fault is caused by shearing forces. Other names: transcurrent fault, lateral fault, tear fault or wrench fault

Totally cool. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Seems you guys have that same kind of "strike slip" where you are as we do here on the San Andreas fault.
After the quake in '89 we went out looking for stuff like fences, curbs and sidewalks that looked bent or displaced. If I can find some pics I will bring them here. You guys have had an overall slippage from lots of little events that add up. You might go looking for this kind of effect in your neighbor hood.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Interestingly, the Wilzetta Fault is only about 55 miles long, yet produces the largest EQ Oklahoma has had.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Well I live close to the epicenter of the Oklahoma quakes about 40 miles or less, and I can tell you I would rather have a 6.0 or less quake everyday as compared to a tornado of an F2 or larger just 1 time. Tornado's still scare the crap outta me even though I lived in Oklahoma for 30 years and they are common here. basically so called moderate quakes are nothing compared to a tornado IMO. Now a large quake on the other hand I do not want any part of either. i know quakes can be very devastating and I hope Oklahoma never sees one over 6.0 from what i understand anything over a 6 is pretty serious. these are scary times we live in.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The same day as the first tremor:
MAP 4.7 2011/11/05 07:12:45 35.553 -96.748 4.0 OKLAHOMA

November 5, 2011 – POLAR BLAST: A magnetic filament curling around the Sun’s north pole erupted during the early hours of Nov. 5th. Material propelled by the blast is heading out of the plane of the solar system

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Use the link above to see for the 4 days before there wasn't a thing going down in Bricktown

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join