It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've been asked to move. I have 27 days.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
So today I got served notice that I had to be moved out in 27 days. I've been in the same condo for over 3 years now but I rent and my lease has been on a month to month basis, in case we wanted to move but my girlfriend and I like it here.

I haven't talked to the landlady yet but I will call her tomorrow. (I need the night to think)
I don't know why this is happening; I'm a near perfect tenant. She even reduced my rent once.
(In fact she my realize she could charge someone else more)

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for dealing with this kind of situation?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Find out what the reason is she wants you out , then see if it can be resovled , if not coax with a little more money depending on the situation.

Perhaps she got complaints about you ? caught you in the act maybe? lol who knows many reasons .

Just remember money talks, and at the end of the day profits is what it comes down to . Coax her in hook line and sinker and show her you can be an asset not a liability !

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

1. find out why she wants you out.
2. you should read your lease very closely again

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Maybe you pissed her off on ATS! & she tracked your IP address!

..imagine though?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
be sure to leave a fresh fish hiding somewhere when you leave

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

In the curtain rod works very nice.....

Yes, find out why.

However...it may be just be a scare tactic to get you to pay more as well

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
What country are you in? In Canada, you cannot be forced to move, unless you've caused a disturbance (rent arrears ect). Even if your lease expires, the landlord is obligated to renew it if you've been a good tenant.

Call your landlord tenant board in your Province/State. They cant randomly kick you out, let alone demand "within 27 days". Thats ridiculous.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanssuperman
What country are you in? In Canada, you cannot be forced to move, unless you've caused a disturbance (rent arrears ect). Even if your lease expires, the landlord is obligated to renew it if you've been a good tenant.

Call your landlord tenant board in your Province/State. They cant randomly kick you out, let alone demand "within 27 days". Thats ridiculous.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

Agreed. Sounds bullish.

Something fishy here, or something not being mentioned on part of the landlord.

Find out what the reason is, and while doing so. see if it's even legal.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
depending on where you are at just becasue they ask you to leave means nothing they would have to evict you and if you are not breaking any laws and paying rent on time and following all the rules they will not grant an eviction on you... in FL where i live they cannot force you to move they have to give you a notice that tells you the reason for them wantin gyou out and have to follow different rules and guidlines depending on the reason why they want you out if you owe money they can get you out quick unless you pay to the court and get a court date but if its just some bogus reason you can pay your rent to the court and they hold it until the court date and you can try to keep your place.

I would talk to them though to find out a reason and if they do not give you one or one that you do not agree with then just dont leave, and try to keep paying rent as long as they accept the rent and cash the check (get a receipt) they cant make you leave, also they cant actually make you leave until they file an eviction and go to court and then you will get a notice that at a certain point the sheriff will remove you at a certain time...

these things can affect your credit though and she can be a dick and hold your deposit for 30 days before she gives it to you so if you need that to be able to move it might be an issue or if you have good credit it may be an issue...

all depends where you live though and what the laws are but in the US there is NOWHERE that someone can just say to leave in 30 days and you have to lave other then hotels and weekly rental places things like that but a normal leased 30 days at a time house/aprtment whatever you have to be formally evicted.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
What are you doing on ATS!?! Start packing, only 27 days to go man!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Its simple...you pay month to month and have been for a few months now, you need to see things from the other perspective, you can't "have your cake and eat it to" meaning...just as you have the flexibility to jam outta there with so much as only a months notice....the landlord has to worry about when that time might come and then try and find another renter to move in....maybe at an inopportune time whereas they could probably have people lined up NOW ready to sign a 1 year lease, and that is security and no worries for a year minimum whereas you are a risk each and every month. They are pushing you for a longer commitment plain and simple. I bet a paycheck that if you call and express your enjoyment there and wish to sign a 6 month/1 year lease, opinions will change

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

I'm in the U.S. Florida to be exact.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Find out if there is a problem and if there is fix it if possible.
If no luck, take up drums or bass guitar and live well.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I am in FL also, in FL you cannot make someone move without a good reason even on a month to month lease, also they must give you a 7 day notice to vacate before filing an eviction since you dont owe money unless you do owe money then thats a whole different thing.

You need to talk to them and see why they want you to leave and if they will allow you to sign another lease but really there should be no reason to sign another lease other then to lock you in so they can screw your credit if you don't pay you were there for a year its your right to have month to month now in FL thats how it works. The only thing a new lease would do is lock you into owing them money if you want to leave, you are still required to follow all of the rules and terms of that lease you signed other then owing money if you decide to leave all you have to do is leave at any point as long as your balance is $0 you could say you are moving out in 10 days and they still are required to give your deposit back as long as the time you leave is before your next month rent is due.

That is how it works and that's what comes with renting properties, if you leave it in good standing and its a nice place and priced well there should be no reason they cannot rent it quickly and if it requires work because of you it will be taken from your deposit.

If you do not like their answer as to why you must leave you can push the issue and make them take you to court for an eviction and explain to the judge that you want to stay and have been a good renter and are paid up, they will also have to have a good excuse as to why they want you out.

Keep paying rent if you stop then they can get you out no problem, if they accept rent on the 1st of Dec then they cant tell you to leave, as long as they accept money then that extends your 30 days.

Be prepared to have to move if they really want you out but you have more then 30 days they can't make you leave without an eviction even then it takes 7 days I believe after the court ruling for the sheriff to remove you. I know that it takes people longer then 30 days to move sometimes especially if they are busy with works and things as well as if they do not have enough money to actually move at that time.

If you decide to stay and make them evict you and they have not given you any paperwork then go along with what they say, pretend you are moving and do not tell them you do not plan on moving or don't say oh well evict me... just keep putting them off until they give you the proper paperwork.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Is your landlord solvent?
Is it possible the landlord is being foreclosed upon?
This is happening all over the country.
just when you think you;re safe, and have a roof.
the landlord is evicted, which really means You are evicted.

Make sure you cover your bases....Be ready to move..Find another place, while the opportunity of time is on your side. but also keep an open dialog with your landlord.

BTW do they own multiple properties?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Yes

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I was going to say the same thing, that or she is selling the place.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thanks for all your help guys. Some of you had some good points.

Ok so I heard from the landlady today. She texted saying she was out of the country and she asked for my email.

So I emailed her, I asked her reason, and mentioned I would like to work things out if possible.

She said she was not able to discuss the reasons but that her decision was final. I found that strange.

So it looks like I'll be moving. I hope we can find a nice place at a fair price.

new topics

top topics

join