It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Tips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Seeing as how my entire state is likely to get hit by this storm, thought this might be helpful... Feel free to add to it...

Freeze water in tupperware containers and keep in your freezer - Serves two purposes...one, increases the ability of your freezer as cooler when the power goes, and two, serves as drinking water.

Right before the storm, turn off the water supply to your hot water heater - this can serve as a hefty reservoir for some more drinking water.

Fill the tub and sinks with water right before the storm - in the event of water contamination or non-service, you can use this water for washing, and even flushing the toilet (by filling up the tank).

Canned Goods that don't require cooking to be eaten - food, pure and simple.

Bottled Water - a given, should have at least one gallon per adult, per day, at least a week supply is good (most hot water heaters hold a lot of gallons if you use that tip)

Board and Tape up windows - this will help keep debris from smashing them, and also guards against the wind getting in the house, which can then lift off the roof.

Radio with Batteries - as it will be your only source of info...keep in mind, as long as your car is still there, you could use that as well.

Flashlights and Candles - No power means no light at night.

Pet food and supplies - Don't forget your friends! Also, they'll need water too!

Valuable documents - Keep this in ziplock bags, and then in a secure box of some kind. Of course a watertight/fireproof safe is best, but in a pinch...

Board up windows - Even if you don't have plywood to completely cover the windows, a few cross pieces nailed across the windows can help with keeping out debris.

Baby supplies - don't forget the baby's needs (if you have one)

Medicine - have them all in a safe place, might be a while before a pharmacy is open...

Loose lawn items - Tie them down, or store them away, the wind can make them dangerous projectiles to your windows. If you have an inground pool, tossing them in the pool is an easy fix.

Food - eat your refrigerated food first (that will spoil without power) Other ideas include canned meats (for protein, like tuna, etc.), PB&J sandwiches, Ramen noodles, Chef Boyardee like stuff, canned soup, canned veggies, etc.

Games - have some things to keep you busy, in case you're without power, such as board games, card games, books, etc.

Batteries - have enough for any devices you wish to use, if using a generator, be sure to guard against CO2 poisoning!

Make a safe spot - If the storm really rages, have a safe zone away from windows and towards the center of the house, with sturdy walls (hallways and closets usually...)

Gas - make sure your car is filled with gas, not just for evacuating, but also because it may take some days for stations to have gas again

Charcoal, Sterno - help make food a little more palatable, and allows for boiling questionable water. May also want to keep some bleach on hand, as this can be used (in a pinch) to decontaminate water... When boiling water, pour it between two containers often, to replenish the oxygen in it, and it'll taste better. For bleach, I think it's like 1 tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water, but as all of this is off the top of my head, I'd check the ratio.....

Lighters, Matches - don't forget these for the candles, sterno, and charcoal! In a pinch, you could use your car lighter too...

Hope this helps!!!

[edit on 2-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Just remembered another...

Water Tablets - you can get these either at sporting goods stores, or even Walmart, Target, etc. to decontaminate water....

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
great tips gaz

also blankets, plastic, tarps, stuff you can use to cover valuable stuff or windows if they get breached.

I also recommend using your eggs and milk to make muffins, cookies, cakes, etc, that can be stored in an airtight container, while you wait for the storm to approach.

**If your neighbor has dangerous projectiles in his/her yard, ask them to put them inside or offer to help them do it. Not everyone will prepare as you do and you wouldn't want their lack of preparation to be the cause of your downfall.

Take pictures of every room in your house and valuable items, antiques etc. No need to develop the film yet, just snap and then store the camera in a safe place...probably best with your important documents.

Also try to have a can of spray paint on hand, incase your house does get damage, you can identify it for the insurance agents.

and if you have little ones, don't let them see you panic, try to stay calm, stress the dangers but make it fun. We are having a hurricane party according to my 6 year old.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Adding to the tarps...a Staple Gun is a great idea... I actually have these too, just forgot about them on my list....

The baked goods are a neat idea...

For Charlie, my neighbor was out of town, so I went over and secured their loose items for them...

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
VERY IMPORTANT, BACK UP YOUR PC, SHUT DOWN AND UNPLUG

also unplug any other appliances you have around the house.

if you feel your pc is in a spot that may get breached, by rain, cover it in a garbage bag.

Also if things are getting really nasty for you, take down picture frames and any other thing that could become a projectile within the house and store in closets or under the bed. The less stuff around to fly about, the better for you.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Be sure to unplug modem/network lines too.... Too many times I've seen a surge enter through one of these and fry the motherboard... Good thinking...

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
bumping, for our friends in Ivan's path....

top topics

join