It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK police may use rubber bullets on student protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Ok, so it's an option. But I still find the use of firearms on unarmed protesters is disgusting.
The police should be better trained at handling things rather than going over the top and risking peoples lives. A rubber bullet to the face or chest can kill somebody.

Yes, the last student protests got out of hand rather quickly but that's an issue with the system itself. People should be able to protest.

If a few yobs decide to riot, that should not equate to the police risking the lives of others.

Some interesting snippets:

Rubber bullets could be used in cases of "extreme" disorder at a tuition-fees protest in London on Wednesday, a Scotland Yard commander has said.

About 4,000 police officers, some from other forces, will be deployed on the route, said Commander Simon Pountain.

Ms Jones, who is also a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority watchdog, said: "Any officer that shoots a student with a baton round will have to answer to the whole of London."

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
" But I still find the use of firearms on unarmed protesters is disgusting"

Rocks ? Bottles ? molotov cocktails? garbage cans? any object they can get there hands on ? bats?

really...

if you were the riot police you would understand the dirty tricks some of these punk kids use for a photo op and to cry headline "OMG POLICE BRUTALITY"

lol

Rubber bullets is totally justified.

Unless you perfer live ammunition?

They should be using more non lethal methods.

"The police should be better trained at handling things rather than going over the top and risking peoples lives. A rubber bullet to the face or chest can kill somebody"

You can only play fluffy for so long . Before you need to bring out the toys

Rubber bullet to the face will remind that protester what freedom taste like lol
edit on 7-11-2011 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

Just remember, your a human with those very human emotions. Given the right situation and spark in the air, you would sink to those "punk kids" level.

Its just their focusing their energy in the wrong fashion. Those individuals cant see their violence only hinders their cause.

Thats all.

Still, police brutality is as simple as the cops using tear gas or the cops surrounding and arresting people for nothing more than peaceful marches. Its the fact we follow the "peaceful protest" rule while the police spray the people with water cannons, tear gas, rubber bullets and flash bangs. Somehow, that still doesnt seem fair.

Things get heated when a line of riot police show up with billy clubs out. People start to get fearful and more defensive or aggressive in some cases.
edit on 7-11-2011 by AaronWilson because: more information needed

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

"Its the fact we follow the "peaceful protest" rule while the police spray the people with water cannons, tear gas, rubber bullets and flash bangs. Somehow, that still doesnt seem fair"

This is what most of them preach.

Im sure most mean well...

But why not weed out the criminals with in your own protesting parties?

If you see someone breaking the law , which you know the police will have to respond too. Or else the public will cry why didn't you do anything for so long! e.i the burning police car in toronto g20.

Why not have protester police within your own protest movements. to weed out the trouble maker.

It happens rarely.

They let it happen , knowing its going to piss off the cops and cause them to react ,

Great photo op sure. AFTER the fact .

They could surround the instigators , catch it on film. gather evidence and make a make shift type holding cell taht you can put away riot causing "protesters" to find out what there real motives are and agendas if any?

This would show me that you do care about peaceful protests and want it to be as civil as possible.

Not this circus i see destroying property as "peaceful"

the people who just watch them commit clear illegal acts, but saying w/e F$#$ the cops and the establishment they deserve it !

only problem with this logic you see is the end costs of all these type of riots masked as various agendas. Is the tax payer pays at the end. Only making bigger what they hated.

but regardless of that . THere are many steps that can be taken to do these protests properly , and gain public sympthay not anger for the mess it causes .

I would happily join them if they do things that actually show me peaceful protests.

Remember if its just a few bad apples , then surley they can be dealt with ? with on site staff that the protesters put together?

Or am i asking for too much organization?

But they ALLOW and WATCH and many time PROMOTE it to happen.

They are just as guilty as the "few bad apples"

sure there are times when the bad ones are dealt with . But rarely and not ont he scale that can actually deturr some of these punk kids who just want to cause a scene for photo ops to further push an agenda

its a info war now 2011

not the daisies of the 60's

You have to play the game differntly and make with the times. If you wanna make changes.

Actions speak louder then words a wise man once said.

"Things get heated when a line of riot police show up with billy clubs out. People start to get fearful and more defensive or aggressive in some cases"

You know many of the headed battles you see are because of instigaters , who purposly try and start something , to get everyone inovled in the "heat" of the moment. There are many ways to deal with it , but you need to work together

together ....

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Typical of the police. They're the ones who incite and instigate the violence, but play themselves to be victims.

Agents provocateurs and heavy handed tactics are standard. Their job is to undermine protests and generate contempt for protesters. Problem is you can't do anything to these undercover cops and hired thugs because the police either let them back into the crowds or allow them to suit up or go home.

I have no doubt they'll get to use their new toys. Expect plenty of out of touch police officers in the crowd wearing Fubu jerseys, trying to look like a road man, blood!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE MAKES VIOLENCE

This is not difficult to understand. And quite frankly it's disgusting. The police duty is protect and serve. If they allowed protesters to make their point, without being dressed in armor, armed to the teeth with weapons and there with the mentality of war against protesters, there would be no violence.

If you have a peaceful protest, then bring in soldiers, you instantly create a war-like atmosphere and the group mentality turns into violence.

I cannot believe this is the year 2011, i am utterly ashamed.

top topics

join