It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11/11/11 - Massive Symphony Around The World! How About You?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Join the largest orchestra in the world - with your Androids, iPads and iPhones! You don't need to be a musician. All you need is your cell phone or iPad!

"Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the planet. Anywhere. At the very same time. Change is here together."

On 11/11/11, at 11hrs 11mins 11secs 111ms, all phones will start playing 1 minute of Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

Global downloads so far.

11/11/11 Massive Symphony

I placed this here in this forum, since music is very much a part of metaphysics affecting change. It seemed the most logical place.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Gseven because: content

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Cool! I wonder why this selection of music was chosen? It would be nice to see such a concerted effort include a minute or two of followed silence, where people could send out positive thoughts and vibes on such a large scale.
That map is pretty neat too, c'mon US, get on board.

Peace,
spec

ETA: How will the time zone differences play out?
edit on 7-11-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

what time zone.

link   

edit on 7-11-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

link   
Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded and crossing the fingers for sudden change.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I like music.. a lot. That being said, I can't understand the idea of ascribing metaphysical or supernatural powers to it.

I think I'll pass.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Nope, sorry.

A Clockwork Orange ruined the 5th for me.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by Gseven

Cool! I wonder why this selection of music was chosen? It would be nice to see such a concerted effort include a minute or two of followed silence, where people could send out positive thoughts and vibes on such a large scale.
That map is pretty neat too, c'mon US, get on board.

Peace,
spec

ETA: How will the time zone differences play out?

I have my own speculation as to why this piece was chosen. Most of the "masters" of that period used philosophy and metaphysics to compose their pieces. Often times, crediting a higher source for their inspiration, and the "message" in the music being of divine origin. But that's worthy of another thread all on it's own.

The music will launch at the same instant: 11m 11s 11h and 111ms (Central European Time, GMT +1), and will continue playing once each hour up to 23:11 so that every time zone on the Earth is able to join in.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
I like music.. a lot. That being said, I can't understand the idea of ascribing metaphysical or supernatural powers to it.

I think I'll pass.

Music is nothing more than frequency. All matter has frequency. Since the beginning of time, man has used music, and frequency to alter their states of being, to heal themselves, or to even fight wars. You don't have to understand it, it just IS. We currently have high-tech weapons of war that use high frequencies to paralyze, slow down, or even kill the enemy. Ever listened to a piece of music that gave you chills or brought you to tears or made you want to get up and dance? Those are the effects of those particular frequencies on your being. It's not that hard, really.

You can pass. No one is saying you have to. At the very least, it will be a first of it's kind, and that alone makes it fun. You don't have to buy into the "change" aspect to have fun.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Well I would prefer the Pink Panther but I suppose I can get on board with the Symphony from my bunker.
Can do.
DH

dH

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Beethoven's 5th ftw.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well thank god it was that one.

Thankfully it wasnt moon light sonata

I hate for the hippies to taint that song with there bs 11.111.1.1.1 ness

why not honour the troops for remembernce day ?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
Well thank god it was that one.

Thankfully it wasnt moon light sonata

I hate for the hippies to taint that song with there bs 11.111.1.1.1 ness

why not honour the troops for remembernce day ?

I'm not a hippy, by the way. My musician friends brought this to me. I am also a veteran. I hardly think a one-minute tune on my phone going off every hour is going to impede my "remembrance" of those who have died for my country. Beethoven was the genius of his day, and his 5th symphony is wrought with all kinds of connotations, perfectly suited for this application.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
"It would be nice to see such a concerted effort include a minute or two of followed silence, where people could send out positive thoughts and vibes on such a large scale."

can you imagine the amount of positive energy that would produce???? I think that would be an amazing thing if only it could actually happen. Too many negative people out there though. They enjoy their misery too much.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Out of curiosity, I dug a little on the 5th symphony and found this attribute:

Music and Meaning
In the fall of 1801, at age 30, Beethoven revealed for the first time the secret of his increasing hearing loss and stated in a letter that he would "seize Fate by the throat; it shall not bend or crush me completely." It has not been difficult to relate such statements directly to his music. The struggle with "Fate" when it "knocks at the door," as he allegedly told his assistant Anton Schindler happens at the beginning of the Fifth, helped endorse the favored label for the entire middle period of his career: Heroic. The Fifth Symphony, perhaps more than any of his other symphonies, more than those with explicit extra-musical indications like the "Eroica," "Pastoral," or Ninth, seems to present a large-scale narrative. According to this view, a heroic life struggle is represented in the progression of emotions, from the famous opening in C minor to the triumphant C-major coda of the last movement some 40 minutes later. For Hector Berlioz, the Fifth, more than the previous four symphonies, "emanates directly and solely from the genius of Beethoven. It is his own intimate thought that is developed; and his secret sorrows, his pent-up rage, his dreams so full of melancholy oppression, his nocturnal visions and his bursts of enthusiasm furnish its entire subject, while the melodic, harmonic, rhythmic, and orchestral forms are there delineated with essential novelty and individuality, endowing them also with considerable power and nobility."

A Closer Look
Another reason for the great fame and popularity of this Symphony is that it distills so much of Beethoven's musical style. One feature is its "organicism," the fact that all four movements seem to grow from seeds sown in the opening measures. While Beethoven used the distinctive rhythmic figure of three shorts and a long in other works from this time (Tovey remarked that if this indeed represents fate knocking at the door it was also knocking at many other doors), it clearly helps to unify the entire Symphony. After the most familiar of openings (Allegro con brio), the piece modulates to the relative major key and the horns announce the second theme with a fanfare using the "fate rhythm." The softer, lyrical second theme, first presented by the violins, is inconspicuously accompanied in the lower strings by the rhythm. The movement features Beethoven's characteristic building of intensity, suspense, a thrilling coda, and also mysteries. Why, for example, does the oboe have a brief unaccompanied solo cadenza near the beginning of the recapitulation. Beethoven's innovation is not simply that this brief passage may "mean" something, but that listeners are prompted in the first place to ask themselves what it means.
The second movement (Andante con moto) is a rather unusual variation form in which two themes alternate, the first sweet and lyrical, the second more forceful. Beethoven combines the third and fourth movements, which are played without pause. In earlier symphonies he had already replaced the polite minute and trio with a more vigorous scherzo and trio. In the Fifth the Allegro scherzo begins with a soft ascending arpeggiated string theme that contrasts with a loud assertive horn motive (again using the fate rhythm). The trio section features extraordinarily difficult string writing, in fugal style, that defeated musicians in early performances. Instead of an exact return of the opening scherzo section, Beethoven recasts the thematic material in a completely new orchestration and pianississimo dynamic. The tension builds with a long pedal point—the insistent repetition of the same note C in the timpani—that swells in an enormous crescendo directly into the fourth movement Allegro, where three trombones, contrabassoon, and a piccolo join in of the first time in the piece. This finale, like the first movement, is in sonata form and uses the fate rhythm in the second theme. The coda to the Symphony may strike listeners today as almost too triumphantly affirmative as the music gets faster, louder, and ever more insistent. Indeed, it is difficult to divest this best known of symphonies from all the baggage it has accumulated through nearly two centuries and to listen with fresh ears to the shocking power of the work and to the marvels that Beethoven introduced into the world of orchestral music.
Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67 : NPR

Sometimes understanding where an artist is coming from helps the audience to better appreciate the work.

It is quite a piece of musical genius, with multiple feelings evoked and expressed.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Extactly he was a genius ! Thats why his music should not be tainted by global hippy events. Most of the people who participate don't understand the elegance and beauty of it .

Its tainting good music.

Im just glad it wasn't moon light sonata then i would've really been mad. But the hippies can have their way with that song.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I love it.

Count on me to join in.

Some people will always have negative things to say forget about them and do something 'nice'.
edit on 7-11-2011 by CharterZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

I have seen you slander hippies a few times today, does your "I heart you" not include hippies? Surely you are not broad stroking all hippies as scum. You don't have to love hippies, but hating on them every chance does not seem to do any good for anyone. It takes all kinds to make the world go round' no?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Here's an interesting study (complete with brain scan photos) of how certain music affects the brain. I thought it was interesting that Beethoven's Fifth was used as the classical selection, and out of all the types of music used, it seemed to be the ONLY one that registered activity in the center of the brain...perhaps the Pineal Gland region? I'd have to verify this, but at any rate, it's interesting stuff! I can't copy and paste of any this, because it appears to be a pdf file.

The Effects of Music On The Brain

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
reply to post by Gseven

Extactly he was a genius ! Thats why his music should not be tainted by global hippy events. Most of the people who participate don't understand the elegance and beauty of it .

Its tainting good music.

Im just glad it wasn't moon light sonata then i would've really been mad. But the hippies can have their way with that song.

I guess what I was getting at (in a nice way, of course), was that I'm not a hippy, but I am interested in 11/11/11 stuff. It intrigues me.

I think, far too many people don't understand this type of music, period. I do believe there are hippies who understand it just fine, and I believe there are self-proclaimed fans of Beethoven who don't. (Not saying you're one of them, just making a point). What I'm saying is...if we want change, stereotyping groups of people must go. Hippy or not, makes no difference in my mind. I have friends of all types, every religion, every lifestyle you can imagine, and every political leaning...I'd hope they all would participate in this, simply due to the idea that music can and does have profound impacts on the human brain, and in turn, the human psyche.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join