It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Colony Art From The 1970s

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
"Space colony." It looks like a typical boring 1970's suburban condominium complex transplanted onto the inside of a glass donut. I don't suppose it occurred to all these white suburbanite space designers that maybe there are some people who don't want to live like that, and who feel more at home in a more vertical, gritty, urban environment where human interaction is a little more aggressive and heightened.

I think the designs say more about the philosophy and psychology of the designers than they do about the future of manned space habitation.

And there you have it, in a nutshell. We will never agree enough as a species to accomplish such things, unless we transform ourselves to a new, higher state of being that almost surely in the short run will require forced conformity, thus destroying our uniqueness as individuals.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I just had an argument with my boyfriend over this very subject...well, more of a heated discussion really.

I brought up an article I had read about the mock mars mission that just ended, and also the interesting rocks that were discovered on mars. I said I was really excited about people actually going to mars someday, and what amazing things they might discover out there.

His reaction was the complete opposite.

He said people should be more concerned about what's going on down here on earth, and that funding for space programs should be low priority. I couldn't convince him that there will always be problems here on earth, so we may as well continue on with space exploration. Besides, even though these projects cost a lot of money, research and development creates new technological innovations and actually boosts the economy.

I think you're right, and most people have stopped dreaming about going to space.
Maybe it's the economy, everyday worries, pop culture, or lack of education... I don't know, but it's sad that people have lost their sense of curiosity.
The universe is a huge, fascinating, beautiful place, with nearly limitless opportunities for discovery.

And yet...most are happy just sitting on their couches watching junk on TV or the internet, never contemplating what's out there, or what our future could be like. It's really sad...

Thank you for the beautiful pictures, and for still dreaming...I wish more did

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

Keep the dream alive!

I understand where you and your boyfriend are coming from, and I think we can all be right. He is right in that there are so many tribulations happening here that we must address them as we grow, but at the same time, we should honor our place in the universe, by acknowledging it, learning about it and ultimately exploring it. Heck we may have to colonize space at some point, or it is a natural part of our development here in the cosmos.
I think there is room and necessity fro both perspectives, and we shouldn't be limited with an 'either or' kind of choice, but rather work on both.
The sci-fi fantastical aspirations though are essential to our future and direction, imo. We have to cultivate our imagination and seek beyond what is known, where we may not only find new places, but answers as well.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply,
spec

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
they should start with earth first. how about turning barren parts of africa into a lush and productive paradise.

kill two birds with one stone. instead of exploiting africans for resources and killing them, turn the hot and arid parts into an oasis.

now back to reality.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

"Space colony." It looks like a typical boring 1970's suburban condominium complex transplanted onto the inside of a glass donut. I don't suppose it occurred to all these white suburbanite space designers that maybe there are some people who don't want to live like that, and who feel more at home in a more vertical, gritty, urban environment where human interaction is a little more aggressive and heightened.

I think the designs say more about the philosophy and psychology of the designers than they do about the future of manned space habitation.

What a load of utter nonsense. I bet you're white and middle class

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The best ones I've seen from that period are hollowed out asteriods turned into giant ships. The body's already made and we just need to convert it.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Wow. what a chip on the shoulder racists you are. It would be in the best interest of humanity to leave people like you behind when we finaly do leave the planet.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I would like to say to each poster in this thread (read the whole thing) that there may be a conspiracy behind all this.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa7f76ab79f6.png[/atsimg]
The dream of space was suppressed because of fear.

The _method_ of suppressing the dream was a meme
that first surfaced in my area in the late 70's early 80's
"Space!? We have enough problems here on Earth."

It was useful to the average six-pack or grocery-shopper when they found themselves in a conversation above their education level.

Also, once on the defensive, most space fanatics
were hard pressed to explain the safety issues,
how to effect a rescue, and how unpleasant life in zero G is.

I've been looking into this since the 70's
when I first became a conspiracy theorist
over the shuttle redesign in committee
where they divided it into two parts so it could be
in Florida AND Louisiana.

(the original was twice as big and all the fuel was in the wings, no external tank to shed a piece of ice and cause catastrophic loss of life later (but politicians know best don't they))

So I've been sniffing around for the hidden why of it all for many a year, and here is my theory.

[color=gold] The dream was suppressed because of fear.
In my opinion anyway.
I'm still nervous about speculating openly about this.
It has no context.
It's so far outside the normal perspective on society that it almost seems to lack motivation to most who hear it.

A fundamentalist Cult goes to orbit, nukes the world, then returns to repopulate.

This is the hidden fear that, I feel, motivates the suppression of the space dream. So much that it shouldn't even be possible for someone to conceive of such a thing.

AND THAT is the pop culture world we live in this day.

David Grouchy
edit on 7-11-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
I would like to say to each poster in this thread (read the whole thing) that there may be a conspiracy behind all this.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa7f76ab79f6.png[/atsimg]
The dream of space was suppressed because of fear.

The _method_ of suppressing the dream was a meme
that first surfaced in my area in the late 70's early 80's
"Space!? We have enough problems here on Earth."

It was useful to the average six-pack or grocery-shopper when they found themselves in a conversation above their education level.

Also, once on the defensive, most space fanatics
were hard pressed to explain the safety issues,
how to effect a rescue, and how unpleasant life in zero G is.

I've been looking into this since the 70's
when I first became a conspiracy theorist
over the shuttle redesign in committee
where they divided it into two parts so it could be
in Florida AND Louisiana.

(the original was twice as big and all the fuel was in the wings, no external tank to shed a piece of ice and cause catastrophic loss of life later (but politicians know best don't they))

So I've been sniffing around for the hidden why of it all for many a year, and here is my theory.

[color=gold] The dream was suppressed because of fear.
In my opinion anyway.
I'm still nervous about speculating openly about this.
It has no context.
It's so far outside the normal perspective on society that it almost seems to lack motivation to most who hear it.

A fundamentalist Cult goes to orbit, nukes the world, then returns to repopulate.

This is the hidden fear that, I feel, motivates the suppression of the space dream. So much that it shouldn't even be possible for someone to conceive of such a thing.

AND THAT is the pop culture world we live in this day.

David Grouchy
edit on 7-11-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

I think it was the ending of the cold war that stopped the space race. Pehaps when China starts landing on the Moon or Mars then the race will be on again.
edit on 7-11-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by AaronWilson

Agreed, it seems there is no room in our dreams for such endeavors anymore. Dream are turning to nightmares of fear and survival. (

At least it reminds me of the time when men dreamed-- when I dreamed.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

I think it was the ending of the cold war that stopped the space race. Pehaps when China starts landing on the Moon or Mars then the race will be on again.
edit on 7-11-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

I thought it was the corporations not countries that owned space now.

When deep space exploration ramps up, it'll be the corporations that name everything, the IBM Stellar Sphere, the Microsoft Galaxy, Planet Starbucks.
-The Narrator, Fight Club

Virgin Spaceways
Armadillo Aerospace
Blue Origin
Sierra Nevada
SpaceX
and of course Boeing

David Grouchy

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

The best ones I've seen from that period are hollowed out asteriods turned into giant ships. The body's already made and we just need to convert it.

That sounds good, an existing infrastructure to build upon, or within. Add a few thrusters for minor maneuvering maybe. I couldn't find any pics for that, but I found this artist rendition of a colony on an asteroid.

Ran across this too for the mix

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Ohhhh man that pic just got me pumped for Mass Effect 3

If you've ever seen the game, they have colonies like this. The Halo from Halo is also similar. Seems like a pretty logical model. Bad A looking nonetheless

On a more serious note...it really pisses me off we haven't started on stuff like this. Couldn't a massive project like this create jobs? help the economy a bit? and more importantly catapult humanity into a new era!!!!!!!!!
edit on 8-11-2011 by Rexamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Thanks for your perspective david, and I too have wondered about what kind of conspiracy, if any, could be involved with the published disinterest in these programs. Pure speculation on my part here, but perhaps we were warned from extraterrstials to stay out of space(we are not ready, type 0 civilization), or we have not figured out yet how to endure the intense harshness of space and keep people alive for extended periods of time out there. Maybe there is no space and it is all an illusion and we are really in a holographic matrix.

Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson hit on a possibility too in the vid "we stopped dreaming." It doesn't sound like lack of funding but rather a shifting of interest and priorities. I am not sure whether this is a result of genuine disinterest or intentional misdirection, and I am biased as a fan of sci-fi, but I think space exploration should be paramount in our progression as humans. Do we have some growing up to do first? Surely

Here is another bit with Tyson regarding how and who makes the decisions in todays political climate.

Sounds like the love of money has trumped everything else...

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson hit on a possibility too in the vid [color=gold] "we stopped dreaming."

I am not sure whether this is a result of genuine disinterest or intentional misdirection

Well if the one caused the other
then we should be able to find the cure through a simple reversal.

If "Space!? We have enough problems here on Earth."
caused "we stopped dreaming."
then "we stopped dreaming." can be undone by
"Earth!? We have enough problems here in Space."

If that works, then it proves the relationship.

David Grouchy
edit on 8-11-2011 by davidgrouchy because: format

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Touche' friend. Now that I think about it, where are the visionary positive sci-fi films and books anymore?
Di we stop dreaming because we were no longer connected to the exposure of such endeavors, and as a result many of us do not ever entertain the subject? Maybe there just aren't enough people that are truly interested, and we here at ATS are the exception with our interests. But, again, if the ideas were put in front of us again, would we then dream again?

spec

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

The first few pictures remind me of Mass Effect 2, that big space station hub looks exactly like the second pic.
Pretty cool really.
nice

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Maybe the reason for the loss of the vision was because the mandate set has been completed?
They want to do something in the middle east so they find a reason to be there. once there goal is complete (whatever that may be) they will stop trying to convince the public that it's an awesome idea to be there.

Perhaps the same idea can be applied to space travel and colonization. America and russia wanted to develop rocket tech and no one wanted any more war so they used space exploration as the catalyst to encourage the population to get behind it. once they had achieved a satisfactory level of rocket tech they stopped pushing the space exploration idea and started on the next objective.

When you want a kid to eat there vegetables it is pointless telling them how healthy they are, that rarely works, but if you get creative and appeal to their interests or imagination then you fare a much better chance of getting those brussel sprouts down.

A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

It only takes a pebble going a hundredth the speed of light to destroy it all.

That's why they were never built.

Though NdGT was correct in saying we would have been on Mars by the early 80s.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Pretty cool stuff (reminds me of space colony designs from the Gundam animes)... though it would impose some serious sense of vertigo if you're not sober

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join