It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USGS Report: Link Between Fracking and Oklahoma Earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Link to the article.

I know, I know it's unbelievable right?

Who could ever have imagined that using highly pressurized fluid injection into the earths crust in order to create or enlarge fractures within it could possibly have a negative impact on the stability of the earth's crust?

Description of the fracking process.

OK, no more sarcasm... but in all seriousness, how many little brown envelopes had to change hands in order for an idea with so much obvious potential for disastrous consequences be allowed to continue?

the United States Geological Survey has released a report that links a series of earthquakes in Oklahoma last January to a fracking operation underway there... Our analysis showed that shortly after hydraulic fracturing began small earthquakes started occurring, and more than 50 were identified, of which 43 were large enough to be located.

Link to USGS Report.

Related news:

Cuadrilla Resources, a British energy company, recently admitted that its hydraulic fracturing operations “likely” caused an earthquake in England.

Of course, humankind has such a great track record of tampering with nature without any negative consequences. (Oops, sorry, I said no more sarcasm!)

the Billmeister

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You asked about the brown envelopes, just one.

Google "Halliburton Loophole"

Cheney strikes again!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Nice OP,

It echoes the use of "weather modification" for good use, such as helping reduce drought, when in reality, they are practicing making horrific storms.

The motive is all too obvious. They need a faceless, unstoppable and dreadful "enemy" in order to keep the wheels of oppression turning. Aside from the threat of objects/creatures from space, (which they actually can't control, as far as I know,) what better "threat" could there be beside natural disasters??

If the Elite could cause an "act of God," then they would become God as far as we're concerned. Total seizure of people and property, complete suspension of the Constitution, and obviously massive population control are what arise when an inherantly evil organization attains power over natural disasters.

I have much more on this topic, but I'll save it for a post of my own.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
IF this is true?
How long do you think they'll deny it,continue fracking, and say there is no "real" scientific reports to support this claim?

How long? Years?

I never liked that fracking.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
ok i have seen a lot of threads about fracking and i have some questions. how high of pressure are they using to push the fluid in the ground? when u inject the fluid under ground, how big of an aria does it affect under ground and on the surface when the crust shifts casing an earthquake?

just a few questions i keep thinking about wondering if this earthquake was caused by a mining or if it is something naturally o curing

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Watch the movie "Gasland". Its all about fracking and natural gas. Just fracking itself without all the earquakes, causes irreparable damage to people, environments and the earth. Its nasty dirty process just like drilling for oil.

They want to make this(natural gas) our next resource to use up after oil. What a shame.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
--Saudi Arabia/ Bin Laden wanted America's military out of their country...got booted out.
--2007 Saudi Arabia announced they weren't accepting US dollars for oil

America needs energy. To keep the Cities lights on they accepted the risk of fracking for Natural Gas....may destroy our water table permanently.....but alteast America's cities will have their lights on this year.

They'll deal with next year when the time comes. No water table?......All cities / civilizations end from this cycle.

We will not survive. They know it. They are just doing what they have to....to get through this year.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NISMOALTI
ok i have seen a lot of threads about fracking and i have some questions. how high of pressure are they using to push the fluid in the ground? when u inject the fluid under ground, how big of an aria does it affect under ground and on the surface when the crust shifts casing an earthquake?

just a few questions i keep thinking about wondering if this earthquake was caused by a mining or if it is something naturally o curing

Fracturing equipment operates over a range of pressures and injection rates, and can reach up to 100 MPa (15,000 psi) and 265 L/s (100 barrels per minute).

While hydraulic fracturing is many times performed in vertical wells, today it is more often performed in horizontal wells. Horizontal drilling involves wellbores where the terminal drillhole is completed as a 'lateral' that extends parallel with the rock layer containing the substance to be extracted. For example, laterals extend 1,500 to 5,000 feet in the Barnett Shale basin. In contrast, a vertical well only accesses the thickness of the rock layer, typically 50–300 feet.

Source

the Billmeister

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Billmeister

It was a very shallow EQK and I asked if there was any fracking going on in the area at the time of the EQK.......no one replied.

It appears fracking could had caused it and I believe this was the case.

www.pesn.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hogwash. The processes involved in fracking do not even remotely begin to approximate those involved in earthquakes. LOL

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This link is an apparent government report confirm the earthquakes are caused by this forced injection technique.
oilprice.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sprtpilot

Hundreds of scientists would beg to differ.

It seems that you are assuming that the process of fracking creates vibrations being mistaken as earthquakes, somewhat like feeling your house shake because of road work nearby.

This is not the correlation that has been found by this USGS study, among many others.

Here goes:

1) The fracking process is undertaken, causing physical fractures and structural weakening in the earth's crust.
2) Time elapses.
3) The earth adjusts to this fracturing with a displacement which is both measured with a seismograph and felt as a "shaking" on the surface, commonly known as an earthquake.

The research has found a possible correlation between these two events.

Even though massive influence from the industry has ensured that the contrary view is more heavily influential when asking politicians for the rights to operate.

Still think this is hogwash?

As I stated in my OP, even the least educated layman could foresee that a process involving high pressure injections into the earth to create and provoke structural fracturing within it could potentially lead to dire consequences.

the Billmeister

top topics

join