It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet X?!!? c'mon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yes, in about 2,000,000 AD.

At least I believe thats what the article said...

jra

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i think that maybe the asteriod belt was once a planet. perhaps this is a common theory. i don't know, but all i know is that the planet x stuff seems like a lot of rubbish.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
sounds fun can't wait

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The problem with the Sumerian stuff, is that everyone keeps quoting Sitchin without actually looking at the (freely available) source material. Just reading the source material proves beyond a doubt that he has No Earthly Clue what he's talking about.

yeah i understand what you are saying, my point is that the general idea of what he said makes sence regaurding human exsistance i think it is a hell of alot more likely than, god or the natural evolution theorys..

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   
wrote a book called "Blindsided: Planet X Passes in 2003 Earthchanges!" It goes in depth on Planet X and is a Very interesting book to read. After reading the book and doing some research of my own Il eaned towards the crowd of people that believe it is real. Whether or not it is coming this year??? I dont know. I believe it is very possible considering all the weather changes. The reason for media silence on this issue is It would spark global histarica. Very bad. Anyone else who has read the book please send me your thoughts on it.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Let's see... it was supposed (originally) to be visible in October. Then it was supposed to be naked-eye observable in January. Then it was supposed to be naked-eye observable in February. Then telescope observable in March. Then one of the brightest stars in the sky at the first of April.

We're taking bets that they'll try to fob Mars off as Planet X for awhile... which may get them through July or so.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   
A link to a menu and very good information regarding past mass extinctions.

hannover.park.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Let's see... it was supposed (originally) to be visible in October. Then it was supposed to be naked-eye observable in January. Then it was supposed to be naked-eye observable in February. Then telescope observable in March. Then one of the brightest stars in the sky at the first of April. Posted by Byrd

Well, in terms of scheduling, that is very close to the known timing for Comet NEAT. The visibility is a bit off, but then it has lost a lot of its volatiles, which is what would make it visible.

Very interesting.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
To respond to the beginning of this thread, if there were a brown dwarf in this system, it would be orbiting sol, not the other way around. Assuming an orbital period of 30 million years, it would have gone through over 100 orbits. If any portion of that included swoops close to sol, a lot of orbiting mass would get thrown into sol or out into escape. Over 100 times. There is just too much stuff actually orbiting sol still now for there to be any regular disturbances.

Dragonrider, how hould NASA have hidden this brown dwarf from everybody elese? From the Russians and Chinese? And why would they? Bureaucrats never tell lies that lead to their own budgets being cut. Please propose sensible conspiracies and not ones that run contrary to human nature. Here is one: The whole planet X hoax is a ruse by NASA to get more funding for telescopes in orbit closer to the sun that could monitor for objects hitting Earth after flying by the sun.

Originally posted by dragonrider
we'd have been able to detect a brown dwarf that close to our own solar system Posted by Byrd

That is if NASA decided to be honest with us, and we know they arent.

NASA has already admitted that they would lie to us (I know your going to say it wasnt NASA, but Rand, but fact is, they are hand in glove, and there is NO DOUBT that what was said is fact)

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Dragonrider, how hould NASA have hidden this brown dwarf from everybody elese? From the Russians and Chinese? And why would they? Bureaucrats never tell lies that lead to their own budgets being cut. Please propose sensible conspiracies and not ones that run contrary to human nature. Here is one: The whole planet X hoax is a ruse by NASA to get more funding for telescopes in orbit closer to the sun that could monitor for objects hitting Earth after flying by the sun. Posted by Chipolte

How could we hide a brown dwarf? Technically, very easily. Such an object could NOT be detected visually, only through IR/UV/Xray, requiring observation gear not available to amatuer astronomers, only available to NASA funded sites, or idirectly, though back calculations of other observed orbital quirks. In this event, an amatuer could make all the calculations he wanted, but before it was *accepted* by the scientific community, it has to be *blessed* by NASA: All NASA has to do is find a "flaw" in the mathmatics, and it is null and void as far as the scientific community is concerned. If the original astronomer tried to press the case, he would be at risk of loosing his credibility.

Hide it from the Russians and Chinese? First of all, neither of these nations are spending great deals of money to support thier astronomical programs, they are barely subsisting. Second of all, the US, Russian, and China, as well as most of the high ranking industrialized nations have contacts at very high levels for just such situations that need to be held and discussed out of the eyes and ears of the general public. Yes, you can scream conspiracy, but that is essentially what it is.

Why? I have posted on that numerous times before, but if you need me to reiterate, it can be claimed to either A, prevent mass hysteria, or B, allow people to die quickly in ignorance with a minimum of pain. Of course, a lack of public knowledge increases the chance of the cabal making it into thier reinforced bunkers without much problem from screaming masses.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Why? I have posted on that numerous times before, but if you need me to reiterate, it can be claimed to either A, prevent mass hysteria, or B, allow people to die quickly in ignorance with a minimum of pain. Of course, a lack of public knowledge increases the chance of the cabal making it into thier reinforced bunkers without much problem from screaming masses.

A government bureaucrat who tries to *prevent* mass hysteria? This is the most unbelievable part of your theory. Bureaucrat -> misleading or twisted report -> hysteria -> budget increase -> promotion.

jra

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
china doesn't have much of an astronomy program? do you have access to there budget? any solid facts on this at all? or are you just assuming? i mean with china's space program growing and all i would assume they'd have a decent astronomy program running now. China is going to be doing a manned flight by the end of this year and will be going for a moon landing in 2005.

and what about the ESA (europian space agency) they have lots of satellites in orbit and i'm sure they have ground based telescopes and good equipment too.

i don't see NASA as the all powerful space agency anymore. they are too swamped with bureaucracy these days. besides... space programs are being developed by not just gov't run agencies anymore. things are opening up in the private sector a lot more now.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
A few thoughts on Mass Extinctions
By Madalyn Edwards and Daniella Scalice
NASA Astrobiology Institute

Q: Kindly give me an overview of extinction:

(1) Why do extinctions happen?

Extinction is a frightening concept at first glance. Why do life forms that are vibrant and thriving one minute end up on the cutting room floor the next? How can magnificent creatures such as dinosaurs be cast as extras while the common cyanobacteria continue to receive top billing? In truth why extinction occurs varies greatly. A species may become extinct because the environment that supports its ecological niche is no longer able to sustain a rapidly growing population. Or a new predator may stumble upon a juicy find and wipe out an entire species in one fell swoop.

On a larger scale, numerous species have found themselves on the wrong end of a bad weather front. Climatic changes have initiated many extinction events since life first evolved on Earth. Ice ages (glaciation events), volcanic eruptions, and changes in sea level appear to be the most common culprits. Since species often selectively adapt to particular environments, even subtle changes can leave many struggling to survive. Overall this is a natural process that aligns nicely with the theory of evolution; as one species faces its last scene another gets ready for its close up.

(2) Examples of mass extinctions? (3) What became extinct?

Officially there have been five big mass extinction events over the past 540 million years. What is often not mentioned is that up to five other mass extinctions occurred between 650-500 million years ago. These little publicized events mainly involved microorganisms, and marine animals and plants. They each took place before the Cambrian Explosion (between 543 and 490 million years ago) during which time life forms on Earth exploded into previously unseen levels of diversity. These smaller Pre-Cambrian extinctions were potentially less detrimental than the five main Post-Cambrian events because there were relatively fewer species on the planet to become extinct.

The Earth has not seen the same type of diversification of life forms since the Cambrian Explosion, so the percentage of species lost with these five main extinction events is quite stunning. Between 75-95% of all species were lost with each extinction event. The ecological niche most commonly affected by these mass extinctions involved sea dwelling creatures. Slight changes in temperature, oxygen level, or the sea level itself can and has greatly affected marine life.

(4) Advantages and disadvantages of extinction?

It is probably quite doubtful that expiring species find any comfort in the fact there may actually be an advantage to their demise. The general advantage to an extinction event is that other species are allowed to proliferate due to the loss of a food source competitor or even a predator. Case in point: we humans did not start our evolutionary pathway until many of the large mammals that had dominated the lands became extinct. The disadvantage to extinction is of course that once a species makes its exit, there can be no encore performance. In today's world, species that have yet to be discovered are being lost and their roles in the ecosystem can not be replaced by just any bit player. The part they played was written for them and them only. The cost of losing these characters may take years to understand.

(5) Big questions still to be answered on extinction?

The phenomenon of mass extinctions sets the stage for many questions that have yet to be answered with complete certainty. One big question is whether there is a cyclical pattern to mass extinction events. Within the fossil record - an incomplete script at best - there appears to be a pattern that suggests mass extinction events occur every 26-30 million years. This pattern is thought to be related to celestial objects such as comets and meteors which have long been known to travel distinct paths on very dependable timetables. This could imply that there have been possibly up to 23 mass extinction events since life first evolved on Earth!

(6) The future about extinction - what might happen - when might it happen - why might it happen?

Presently, the certain mystery of future mass extinction events has yet to be solved. Is extinction a predictable phenomenon, or are we at the mercy of a random catastrophe which will burst onto the scene unannounced and carry us away with our neighboring species? How capable are we humans of truly creating a mass extinction, let alone preventing one?

We are indeed all subject to the uncertainty of cause and effect - will our candle be snuffed out before we discover how to guard our flame indefinitely, or will an ill fated breeze extinguish the light of life on Earth forever?

This beautiful blue stage we call home often offers more questions than answers.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 05:06 PM
link   
And of course the opposing view that mass extinction is currently underway

www.well.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join