It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet X?!!? c'mon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   
When I first started to read about planet x and comet NEAT, i became worried but then I began to logically think. I thought that if something bigger then jupiter was in our solar system around where saturn is, it would surely be visible to the naked eye or at least to amatuer astronomers would see that something was amiss. Also, if something has that much of a gravitational pull it would be affecting things now surely noticable to the human eye. Also, wouldn't it have to travel at near light speeds or some other unheard of speed to be here by May?? This is just opinion on why this is nothing, I would appreciate any other comments on this.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
If a Jupiter+ sized thing was Jupiter distace or so away from us, it would be about as easy to see as Jupiter. There is no new such thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have read a lot of posted that claim that Comet NEAT was in fact Planet X, and that it was about the size of Jupiter.

This sprung from some fanciful imaginations since it was reported that the visible COMA (the tail ejecta) was in fact around 300K miles in diameter. Howerver, this visible Coma is comprised of extremely dilute gas and dust, ejected as the icy core nears the sun, which heats it and boils off volatiles from the surface of the core.

The average core of a comet is generally anywhere from 10 to 150 miles in diameter. Considering the massive Coma given off by NEAT, I would assume it to be towards the larger end of this spectrum, but I still imagine it to be less than 100 miles in diameter at the most.

Even at this size of 100 miles diameter, NEAT is just a huge rock (OK, the size of a mountain range, but still just a big rock) in terms of gravitational influence. Likewise, even if the entire solid core was of highly magnetic material, it is NOT going to severly influence the earths magnetic field.

(Not to say that the magnetic field of the earth is not doing something strange, and it may well be linked to the solar magnetosphere, but I doubt that NEAT has much to do with it due to its small size. It is however very possible that NEAT may be interacting with the solar magnetosphere, as there is evidence of attraction of large CMEs)

The main, and truly only, danger that NEAT poses to the earth is that of collision. I have posted extensively of the consequences if something that big were to hit earth (not very pretty picture).

The chances of it hitting? To be honest, I dont like them. NASA has made asses of themselves on the subject, and to me at least, that is far more telling than anything I have seen on the web.

We will just have to wait and see. If it happens, it will be around May 5-12.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm curious though, these objects usually drag a bunch of rocks with it along and ahead of it. Wouldn't there be a bunch of smaller fragments that would penetrate earth and do some minor damage to the surface before and if the big one hit? Sort of like a warning sign. All I heard so far is that one that came into Illinois, nothing else. I don't like to think the end of the world here but I'm still open minded on the topic.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Check out this thread from last month

xmb.abovetopsecret.com...

It would appear that something approximately 100 meters in diameter impacted the southern hemisphere. Since we have no indicators besides the seismic activity, it likely hit in the ocean somewhere.

This could be a precursor.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
For the latest on the Planet X theories, this bunch at least has the most realistic observations.

www.cyberspaceorbit.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Finding stuff all the time!

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
For the latest on Planet X, including observations by astronomers, go here:

www.badastronomy.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober
When I first started to read about planet x and comet NEAT, i became worried but then I began to logically think. I thought that if something bigger then jupiter was in our solar system around where saturn is, it would surely be visible to the naked eye or at least to amatuer astronomers would see that something was amiss. Also, if something has that much of a gravitational pull it would be affecting things now surely noticable to the human eye. Also, wouldn't it have to travel at near light speeds or some other unheard of speed to be here by May?? This is just opinion on why this is nothing, I would appreciate any other comments on this.

Yes, to all of the above. And it really IS silly, y'know? People would dismiss it as the nonsense that it is if they just stopped to think about it logically. Some of the strong supporters have started backing off the arrival date, one (no kidding) suggested that it was being cloaked.

If it was there, it would be brighter than the moon right now and easily visible.

And for the ultimate in giggles, check out the "longhorn stampede" factoid, promoted by Nancy herself:

www.zetatalk.com...

...and the commentary...:
www.badastronomy.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Oh yes... the planet X images and analysis (December 4th to present):

hometown.aol.com...

The image analysis is done by a pro and worth reading because it tells you HOW to do it and how it's done. Lots of links to explore, too!

[Edited on 10-4-2003 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
the thing with this planet x theory is even if it is based on a little fact, there is that much rubbish on the net about it now, its impossible to find and deceent information,

sumerian storys about the 10th planet of the solar system and that humans were biologically made from primates as slaves, i am starting to wonder could this be based on truth. i mean the civilization made batterys 6500 years ago, and they said there was 10 planets, and they had storys about biological engineering and flying objects, i think quite possibily alot of information about past civililizations has been supressed, and if aliens are here they have to be close, i find it unlikely that that would come from another star system as i think it would be very difficult to travel... even if they are super advanced, when they came here they might of not been much more advanced than we are now but that was 100,000's of years ago

dont you people think, bible storys such as lights in the sky angels coming down, imaculate conseptions (Possible artifisial insamination) sounds more like alien activity... than the work OF god, instead of a god, god created man in his own image? bipedal aliens creating people?

[Edited on 10-4-2003 by The Blade Runner]

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The sun may indeed be a part of a binary system, orbiting a brown dwarf every 32 million years.

As far as we know, our sun does not seem to have a companion -- or does it? One current theory is that our sun may have a companion that orbits at a great distance, once every 32 million years.

As the theory goes, the companion has remained undetected because it is either a very dim dwarf or perhaps a dark star, still traveling its orbit but with its light long ago extinguished. But it still makes its presence known by the damage it does when it approaches the sun every 32 million years. According to the theory, during those times of closer approach the gravitational pull of the dark star (which has been ominously named "Nemesis") jars many comets from their far-flung orbits, causing them to rain down on the inner planets.

As far as I know most stars are binary pairs, however as the article states this is only a theory about our sun, one which I think resulted more from trying to explain periodic mass extinctions.

Full Story: www.space.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is one of the best links I've found...

12thplanetcafe.com...

Planet X is found in the Sitchin archives.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Blade Runner
sumerian storys about the 10th planet of the solar system and that humans were biologically made from primates as slaves, i am starting to wonder could this be based on truth.

Well, no -- because that's NOT what the Sumerian story says.

Here's what it says:
www.sacred-texts.com...

(and the creation story that you summarized is not what the Sumerians believed:
www.geocities.com... )

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The "dark companion of the sun" theory was disproven some time ago -- we'd have been able to detect a brown dwarf that close to our own solar system.

The orbital preterbations were explained away by a better model developed within the past 20 years.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by The Blade Runner
sumerian storys about the 10th planet of the solar system and that humans were biologically made from primates as slaves, i am starting to wonder could this be based on truth.

Well, no -- because that's NOT what the Sumerian story says.

Here's what it says:
www.sacred-texts.com...

(and the creation story that you summarized is not what the Sumerians believed:
www.geocities.com... )

yeah ok, i was just generalizing of what i have skim read and been told by people...

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The problem with the Sumerian stuff, is that everyone keeps quoting Sitchin without actually looking at the (freely available) source material. Just reading the source material proves beyond a doubt that he has No Earthly Clue what he's talking about.

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   
we'd have been able to detect a brown dwarf that close to our own solar system Posted by Byrd

That is if NASA decided to be honest with us, and we know they arent.

NASA has already admitted that they would lie to us (I know your going to say it wasnt NASA, but Rand, but fact is, they are hand in glove, and there is NO DOUBT that what was said is fact)

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The "dark companion of the sun" theory was disproven some time ago -- we'd have been able to detect a brown dwarf that close to our own solar system.

The orbital preterbations were explained away by a better model developed within the past 20 years.

Actually, the nemesis theory was postulated to explain the periodic mass extinctions every 26 to 30 million years that the earth apparently undergoes. In fact, there are many candidates for nemesis, including a black hole!
Interestingly, the disertation goes on to debunk planet x as a possible source of the periodic comet shower.

www.lbl.gov...

[Edited on 4-12-2003 by William One Sac]

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
are we due for another mass extinction?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join