It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even the other side conceeds Iraqi support for the Coalition!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The following, is from, get this....Al Jazeera!!!

"Coalition forces were pushing into central Baghdad from all directions amidst indications of little resistance from forces loyal to Saddam Hussein.

Jubilant Iraqis welcomed advancing US forces in Baghdad while rampaging looters attacked symbols of Saddam Hussein�s power.

Residents threw flowers at the armoured column as it swept past, just three kilometres east of the central Jumhuriyya Bridge over the Tigris river. Joy at the apparent removal of Saddam Hussein was tangible, with one man beating a canvas portrait of him with his slipper.

Crowds threw flowers at the Marines as they drove past the Martyrs' Monument, just three km (two miles) east of the central Jumhuriya Bridge over the river Tigris.

Young and middle-aged men, many wearing soccer shirts of leading Western clubs like Manchester United, shouted "Hello, hello" as Marines advanced through the rundown sprawl of the mainly Shia Saddam City and then more prosperous suburbs with villas and trim lawns.

"No more Saddam Hussein," chanted one group, waving to troops as they passed. "We love you, we love you." One young man ran alongside a Marine armoured personnel carrier trying to hand over a heavy belt of ammunition. An older man made a wild kicking gesture with his foot, saying "Goodbye Saddam".

Women waved from balconies, girls threw flower petals at young Marines leaning across gun turrets. One woman held her baby aloft. Tank crews picked the flowers from the tops of their fighting machines, smelt them and grinned. Crowds of Shia men beat their chests in the streets."

Now that is truly amazing.....of course, in the same article, they describe how the military drives right by those looting government offices, but still, at least they're honest about this....

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Gazrok, that just coudn't be! Shouldn't that only come from"US right wing" TV news? That could not have come from such righteous reporting as Aljazeera as their coverage has been heralded to the rooftops on this board. How could this story possibly be true, people shouting "we love you" and not "we hate the US". As well as they all loved dear Old Saddam, I just have so much trouble believing this! (I hope you're picking up the sarcasm cause I'm laying it on thick.) Could it be that people over in Iraq are actually tired of living the adventurous lives and the adrenaline of knowing they could be shredded at anytime? I'm blown away! I'm really taken by suprise!

One has to wonder what fool at Aljazeer risked his skin to put this out? Maybe his guard stepped out for a pee-break. By all means, get us the link to the story so all thoise Aljazeer pasters can sling that one around.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Good call astrocreep,lmao.......

Thirty years of opression wiped out in a couple of days.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Iraqis support the coalition yet we couldn't get support from France [shakes head]

What a day! Some of the pictures and videos I have seen today have been wonderful: Iraqis giving the coalition flowers (like everyone said we wouldn't get), Iraqis holding US and British flags, Iraqis kissing soldiers and even kissing a picture of Bush, and I even saw one picture of some Iraqis getting their Dinars autographed by a US soldier.

Granted there is still work to do and there was some fighting in Baghdad by that University BUT these are some great signs.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I've even heard some Irakis who were roaring " HAIL BUSH ".

Irak is now a free nation.

"Poor leftists" who were ( are still ) anti-war, I bet they're all crying now.

posted on Apr, 9 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
As U.S. troops moved in armored convoys through Baghdad on Wednesday, Iraqis flooded the streets to cheer. Women lifted their babies for the soldiers to kiss. Young men shouted, "Bush No. 1, Bush No. 1." Some men, swept up by the emotion of the moment, rushed into the streets wearing only their underwear to greet the Marines.
www.foxnews.com...

dom

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 04:32 AM
link   
No-one's denying those scenes (bar Syria's state TV and Egypts). What would be the point of lying about it? Al-Jazeera is one of the most moderate Middle Eastern news organisations.

But there are further issues...

english.aljazeera.net...

"The presence of US troops in the streets of Baghdad means the end of the shooting war is near, for which virtually everyone in Iraq will
be grateful.

It also means the end of a dozen years of harsh US-led economic sanctions that have impoverished the majority of Iraqis and killed as many as a half million children, according to UN studies, another reason for Iraqi celebration.

And no doubt the vast majority of Iraqis are glad to be rid of Hussein, even if they remember that it was US support for Saddam Hussein throughout the 1980s that allowed his regime to consolidate power despite a disastrous invasion of Iran.

But that does not mean all Iraqis will be happy about the ongoing presence of US troops. Perhaps they are aware of how little the US government has cared about democracy or the welfare of Iraqis in the past.

Perhaps they watch Afghanistan and see how quickly US policymakers abandoned the commitment to "not walk away" from the suffering of the Afghan people. "

i.e. They may be cheering now, and I don't think anyone denies that. But are the majority cheering the fall of Saddam, or the presence of America? And will that change?

PS The idea that anti-war people would be crying in disappointment is ridiculous. I've always said that the liberation of the Iraqi people will be the only good thing that comes from this. The question is, what happens now?

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dom

It also means the end of a dozen years of harsh US-led economic sanctions that have impoverished the majority of Iraqis and killed as many as a half million children, according to UN studies, another reason for Iraqi celebration.

UN sanctions, not US sanctions.
Bark against "Coffee" Annan and Bill Clinton if you aren't happy, not against GWB.

dom

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 05:25 AM
link   
No, not US economic sanctions, US-led economic sanctions.

So presumably then, as soon as the US president changes, all previous ills are righted? So the current political history of the US goes back as far as 2000, and anything mentioned about US actions before GWB came to power has no relevance to current events?

I hope it's clear that that's a rather silly viewpoint to take.

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
I've even heard some Irakis who were roaring " HAIL BUSH ".

Irak is now a free nation.

"Poor leftists" who were ( are still ) anti-war, I bet they're all crying now.

I believe that hail "name" comes from the nazis, and irakies and welcoming the new world dictator

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 08:06 AM
link   
article today on the site...I think the guy was canned!

P.S.-Their site is really coming up slow today...just a heads up...

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Em... doesn't them reporting that just back up their claim that they were reporting objectively?(not saying they were.) If they were, then that just backs up other claims they made during the war.
It seems a bit of a contradiction to post that as a slight against them.

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Cold Anger I believe it came from ancient Rome as in "Hail Caeser", who later got stabbed to death by his colleagues.

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:51 AM
link   
hehe, nice point,
it might be, all the dictators governing by fear...
Hail Caesar
Hail Hitler
Hail Bush

IT doesn�t matter it all the same BS

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Nah, Nah.
Its from Hail! Hail! the Celts are here!

top topics

join