It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic National Convention Outsources Charlotte Jobs to Beltway Union Shop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
The Democrat National Convention for the 2012 election will be held In Charlotte, NC. This is always a bit of good news for the local economy of the chosen city, because lots of dollars are spent in the days prior to, during, and after the convention. Charlotte should be smiling, but she isn't. Why? Because even though NC is a Right To Work state, the DNC has decided to give the cold shoulder to any non-union shop when choosing vendors for their dollars.

Can they do this? Yes They Can! Sounds like an Obama campaign slogan, doesn't it? It's sad but true. The DNC is outsourcing jobs to shops as far away as 6 hours just to keep the money in the liberal coffers.

Don't blame me -- you are the ones who voted for him.

On Friday, you met John Monteith, a Charlotte, NC print shop executive who was told that he would not be awarded any contracts in conjunction with the upcoming 2012 Democratic National Convention to be held in his town because his shop was not unionized. Given that Charlotte is located in a right-to-work state, this upset John enough that he sought media attention to shine light on what he viewed to be in stark contrast to the stated goals of Mayor Anthony Foxx, a close ally of President Obama. Foxx claimed that the convention would be a boom to the Charlotte economy creating plenty of jobs for everyone and plenty of work for local businesses while fervently denying that unionization was the primary factor in decision making

And John was not alone. Charlotte company Webb & Partners were also told to look elsewhere if they weren’t unionized:

But Webb & Partners project management firm owner Sherwood Webb says he heard it straight from the horses mouth, “They said we will be using union labor.” That’s why Webb says he never made a bid.

John’s story was told throughout the media yesterday, and on the local Fox station as well. This prompted the DNC to put to bed any notions that jobs would be outsourced to unions ahead of local non-union businesses.

Link

Disgusting, that this administration can get away with such blatant corruption.:shk:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It's good old boy Chicago style mob corruption. Yes it stinks. Once again, proving that "We the People", mean absolutely nothing to this administration. It's the anything to get a vote administration.

We are seeing first hand, the slimy underside of the rock that is comprised of such tactics as the Solyndra loan scandal.

I think the City of Charlotte should go on strike starting the day of the convention. No cleaning of bathrooms to start with.
Let the DNC fester in their own crap. They would feel right at home.
edit on 7-11-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

John’s story was told throughout the media yesterday, and on the local Fox station as well. This prompted the DNC to put to bed any notions that jobs would be outsourced to unions ahead of local non-union businesses..:

At the end of the article it says the DNC put to bed the allegations.

Do you think this is a conspiracy?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I know, it's a concept that republicans fight, but it unfortunately is also reality:
It's called "Free Market"
If you have a product to sell, and the buyer doesn't want it, you have no right to demand of him to buy it.
His motives are none of your business. If the buyer is so nice and even tells you why (You are not unionized, and we support unions) you have 2 choices:
a) Offer a product that satifies the demands of the buyer
b) Do not offer the product
Looks like "John" chose b. His call.
edit on 7-11-2011 by narwahl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

You act like they are taking jobs out of the country.
I don't see why the Democratic Convention is not free to choose whom they use. It may be a matter of capability or skills. It is not like the Republican Convention supported local unions or used Union Contractors to set themselves up. Not like they don't take all their coverage to FOX news. Keep it in the family. That's legal. As long as they kept it in the US. I think the folks of NC will see a huge surge in their economy and pocket books when the convention comes to town. I have a feeling they are going to be kept pretty busy in spite of their griping now.

edit on 7-11-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Its bad situation for the Queen City. Nancy Pelosi had something to do with this no doubt. Remember, just a couple of days ago, she called for the closure of the Boeing plant in SC if it does NOT unionize. SC is a right to work state as well and it is a state that has been successful at attracting major employers because of that fact.

The Democratic strong arming is out of control and to outsource for the convention in Charlotte by bringing in DC cronies is just ridiculous. Perhaps the local Charlotte Occupiers should occupy the convention when the doors open up. Block the union workers .... Wait... Problem.... The unions are backing the Occupy movement but are playing the cronie game with the DEMS at the same time.

What's a protester to do??

NC a Right To Work State

It is hereby declared to be the public policy of North Carolina that the right of persons to work shall not be denied or abridged on account of membership or nonmembership in any labor union or labor organization or association. (Enacted March 18, 1947.)

§ 95-79. Certain agreements declared illegal.

Any agreement or combination between any employer and any labor union or labor organization whereby persons not members of such union or organization shall be denied the right to work for said employer, or whereby such membership is made a condition of employment or continuation of employment by such employer, or whereby any such union or organization acquires an employment monopoly in any enterprise, is hereby declared to be against the public policy and an illegal combination or conspiracy in restraint of trade or commerce in the State of North Carolina. (Enacted March 18, 1947.)

www.nrtw.org...

Oh the irony...

This is from the DNC Website

For more than 200 years, Democrats have represented the interests of working families, fighting for equal opportunities and justice for all Americans.
'
Just not in Charlotte... or South Carolina...

Today Democrats are fighting to repair a decade of damage and grow an economy based on the values of Main Street, not greed and reckless speculation. Democrats are focused on rescuing our economy not just in the short run but also rebuilding our economy for the long run—an economy that lifts up not just some Americans, but all Americans.

What about the greed in the unions who have spent billions propping up the DEMS and nonsense rhetoric like this?

www.democrats.org...

I'm glad I left Charlotte years ago...

edit on 7-11-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Too bad for North Carolina.
If John can't get a job, he has nobody but himself to blame though!
He can whine all he likes about being entitled to DNC money, it won't get the dirty Hippy a job. Maybe a tie or a haircut would have helped?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by narwahl

Hmmm!! Sounds like you're trolling...

It's called free enterprise in a right to work state.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by narwahl

DNC is not employing though, they are buying.
And nobody can force them to buy at any particular shop.
The real disgusting part is this:

But Webb & Partners project management firm owner Sherwood Webb says he heard it straight from the horses mouth, “They said we will be using union labor.” That’s why Webb says he never made a bid.

Whining about a job you didn't get, when you never tried to get it! Imagine a OWS-protester doing that!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Sorry dude but your thread is nothing more than stupid right left baiting. You should be ashamed trying to turn this into a i hate democrats thread no class thats the only thing this thread is showing me.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I don't see the issue here. The DNC is hiring who they think can do the best job based on certain criteria...namely that they are union. Union shops have more standards and regulations when it comes to hiring qualified employees.

Plus...the DNC is a private organization, it isn't part of the government and it doesn't use taxpayer money. So why would this be considered corruption???

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by narwahl

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by narwahl

DNC is not employing though, they are buying.
And nobody can force them to buy at any particular shop.
The real disgusting part is this:

Whining about a job you didn't get, when you never tried to get it! Imagine a OWS-protester doing that!

I understand that. The specific problem Charlotte relates to the actions of the Mayor and his promises to the city regarding jobs and others in order to get the DNC to host its convention in Charlotte.

From the DNC

“We put a priority on goods made in America and businesses that are based in the Carolinasparty to a collective bargaining agreement, and are minority, women, disability or veteran owned,” he said. [Emphasis added.]

There's more...Furloughing non union hotel employees for the week of the convention

Late last week, we received a tip that the DNC was forcing the downtown-Charlotte hotels to displace their own existing workers and bringing in union labor to work during the DNC Convention. While the Hyatt Place denied the rumor, numerous calls were placed to general managers at other area hotels but were not returned.

However, at the Ritz Carlton, Charlotte, where President Obama is reportedly staying during the convention, employees did confirm that they had been told they would be laid off during the convention.

www.redstate.com...

The devil is in the details of this agreement with Charlotte.
This is from February.

The good citizens of Charlotte, NC are probably still feeling euphoric over besting Cleveland, Minneapolis and St Louis as the chosen city for the 2012 DNC Convention. However, as the giddiness subsides and people begin to take stock of what they just bit off, it may serve them well to check the fine print of the contract(s) they’ve obligated themselves to. If they do, they may find that being a host isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be, especially if your guests turn around and leave your house a mess.

What many North Carolinians are about to find out real soon is this: If you want to play with the Chicago Democrats, y’all are going to have to play by their rules and be expected to pay a hefty price for them too. This includes their union rules.

In the contract with the DNC

City officials told News 14 Carolina that they spent about three months adjusting the contract details to match exactly what the DNC wanted and what Charlotte had to offer.

Among the obligations, the host committee is required in writing to raise more than $36.5 million in private funds for the convention. The committee must also recruit at least 500 volunteers leading up to the convention and at least 7,000 volunteers during the convention itself including up to 200 drivers.

The host committee must also establish a labor agreement within the next two months and organizers to hire union labor for tasks related to providing, services goods and materials.
(emphasis added)

It was doomed from the beginning

Essentially, the DNCC wants union labor to work the convention and, as well, for Charlotte to use already unionized firms that already have contracts with unions. Now, since North Carolina is the least unionized state in the nation, there may be slim pickins’ insofar as finding a lot of unionized companies.

www.laborunionreport.com...

I guess this is just payback to the Unions who spent $2.2 billion on the 2008 and 2010 election cycles.

I wonder if these details were shared with the people of Charlotte and NC before the agreement was reached. Doubtful.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

If that's true, now might be a good time for these employees to unionize/Go on strike!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hmm, should Charlotte workers be upset? Maybe there should be a law that forces companies doing some work in a state to hire local employees only? Are you upset that in a free market companies/organizations can hire whomever they want - even if they're from another state? Charlotte to DC = 400mi, I would probably bring my own workers too, if I were running a job that close to home.

Maybe the union has done work for them in the past and has a contract with them. Maybe the DNC didn't feel like training an entirely new crew in its operations.

How many organizations send their workers on the road, traveling state to state - because that is a whole lot easier than starting over with a new crew in each state? My nephew works for a merchandiser (setting up new stores), the company is based out of Florida, and they travel to every state in the union with their own crew rather than hire local. They don't have time to train or break in a new crew.

This is a whole lotta hoopla over nothing. If workers in NC don't like this then matbe they should do something about it - like unionize.

SM2

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
well my two cents.... as much as I personally detest the greedy unions and their pocketed politicians in the democratic party, I will have to say, they are free to hire anyone they want to hire to work their private event. As much as I hate to see even more money flow into the union coffers , who they spend their money on is really non of our concern. Now, on a personal level, if you are a democrat, and you do not agree with the circumstances, well, then, hold those responsible accountable. If you contribute to the democratic party, then cease to contribute.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
so you're tellin me that all the hookers that will be brought in/flocking to this event are union? What - Streetwalkers local 503?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Why let unions do the work that should go to Halliburton? Cheney isn't dead you know.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
so you're tellin me that all the hookers that will be brought in/flocking to this event are union? What - Streetwalkers local 503?

It's the DNC, not the RNC. DNC bring their own.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I don't see the problem. The private interest group "DNC" chose to pay for services in a very free-market tradition. Is the OP suggesting we regulate who we should and should not pay for services? Is he suggesting that exercising free-trade and commerce is un-American?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I have to confess: The hotel-staff thing is messed up, in more ways than one.
1) Source seems to be Breitbart, and I have learned not to trust Breitbart, unless he has pictures of genitalia
2) If the hotels refuse to employ union staff, what is DNC going to do? Commute?
3) If these hotels completely restaff *twice* within a week, both (Union and non-union) workers are in an *excellent* positions to renegotiate their compensation.

So, if it's true I'd say its an unintended consequence, and one that might turn out to be a good thing, in the long run, for charlottes hotel staff.

new topics

top topics

join