It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you people willing to participate in Buy Nothing Day? Starts on Nov. 26th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
12160.info...

In this article, you will find a challenge that's occurring in the UK called Buy Nothing Day. The rules are simple: You don't buy ANYTHING for 24hrs. That's it. That's all you have to do. Personally, I will try to do this challenge, which led me to this question.

ATSers can you complete this challenge?

ETA: My comp is acting a bit funny today and I already did a search check on this and didn't find it so if it exists please let me know. Thanks!
edit on 6-11-2011 by KySc5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I don't understand what the purpose of this is? I've heard of this sort of thing about buying gas. The problem is, you still need to buy gas the next day. So if I was going to buy groceries and I just put it off one day, what does that do?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What is the purpose or goal of this? If it is to stick it to the big corps, bravo. But I think it would be more effective if we bought nothing from them but did buy from the small mom and pop places.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

How does harming struggling small business owners do anything to bring down the NWO?
I don't follow. I can understand closing bank accounts, boycotting products from large international corporations, etc, but "not buying anything" would more than likely just serve to hurt the little guy.

Why not just promote buying local products day in /day out? That would be more productive to local communities and harmful to international conglomerates.

And this is for the weekend following Thanksgiving when all stores everywhere have serious sales and specials, so you'd be asking people to avoid prices that are more beneficial to them and their individual economic situation. Probably poor timing too.
Just my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The point of this is to see if people can go a day without buying anything they would normally buy on a daily basis. However, some people are trying to make this into an official day like Bank Transfer Day. Hope this helped a little bit.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Awesome...
Don't buy from the big dogs that day-Shell, Wal-Mart, etc., the places we know have ruined life as we know it.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

What's the point of buy nothing day, when everyone stocks up on gas and other items the day before? The point is to deprive businesses of any sales correct? This would just give them a small sales leap and then one bad day.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by radosta

I understand what your saying, but this is optional. You don't have to do it. Hence why it's called a challenge instead of a requirement.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
No can do.

Depending whether the arrangements for a family meal go off without a hitch amongst other things then sorry but I won't help buying something on that day.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Doesn't sound like much of a challenge. I buy nothing on most days.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

uhh....no. what a dumb idea. what if i run out of toilet paper and this flu hits?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

wal mart already put everyone out of business. who are you supposed to buy from? kmart, target, walgreens? i could buy from the honest locally owned store, but he died because he didnt know the difference between an hmo and a ppo...but either way, his store is now an empty building, for rent.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Umm, I am not in the UK, but I do this all the time. I buy nothing for 48 to 72 hours all the time. Heck I have even gone 120 hours, Including gas.

What exactly will it accomplish? I say Buy nothing for a week. That might have more of an impact.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
362 days a year are buy nothing days for me..
spend 2 days a year purchasing medical supplies and a few small luxeries (blackmarket djarums, sugar, coffee and top up my mobile) ..
Spend month visiting son, daughter and grandson then back upriver to home.. Hate being in cities more and more every year.. If wasnt for need to resupply and visit family wouldnt bother with the trip downriver..

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TylerDurden2U

No, Dave's hardware, Nancy's flower outlet, Bill's fertilizer & feed store, your uncles electronics company, and so on.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Funny, just 2 days ago I made the announcement that I will never buy anything new, except for underwear,

I say odd things all the time but I meant that. The point I was making is I want to stop buying things I don't need and concentrate on buying good old stuff. I buy & sell "vintage items" and have mostly replaced all of my broken and worn out items, except underwear
) with the items I find at estate, yard and thrift sales. I'm 51 years old make a good salary at my "day job". I have chosen a 1981 Toyota base model pickup as my sole transport. Had some splainin' to do with the other guys at my place of employment them with their F-250s and Ram trucks.( some people thought I sold my F-150 because I had money problems (far from it). This lap top I'm on is almost 4 years old (recently upgraded and pretty damn fast for less that it's equal bought new), *new parts of course so minus one for me.
All our furnishings, silverware,plates, cookware along with alot of other household stuff is mid-century modern and other cool stuff from the 70s and 80s. Stuff that's fun to find, learn about and put to daily use! All bought for next to nothing. All for sale
at a hansome profit

Estate and yard sales provide me with any type of item you can imagine you would need to supply your home. A lot of new stuff. E.G.: Razors, shaving cream, toothpaste, bug spray, WD-40, Motor oil
(and sometimes I've found oil filters), brake fluid, cans of food, dry goods (all current dates). This list could go on indefinately. The cool thing is all the items I've listed, in new/unused condition usually bought for 25-50 cent each! I won't buy underwear at an estate sale though. The idea of wearing "Dead Man's underwear" just does'nt sit well with me

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

The first Buy Nothing Day was organized in Vancouver in September 1992 "as a day for society to examine the issue of over-consumption."[2] In 1997, it was moved to the Friday after American Thanksgiving.

Even before these dates, staying away from retail purchases as a protest of American consumerism had been floating around for a number of years. I have bought nothing on this Friday for several decades.
The origianl intent was for it to be a consciousness raiser, one in which the public would become more and more aware of the sickness of consumerism. That so many here have no idea of this old tradition is testament to its near complete lack of effectiveness.

top topics

join