It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boulder, Colorado passed by a 3-to-1 margin an amendment that says corporations are not people and m

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

If I understand what they're saying in this video correctly this is a very very good thing. What do you guys think though?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Can we still sue them now that they are not people?
edit on 6-11-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

This is truly excellent. Maybe OWS is actually accomplishing something, if this newscaster was right in attributing this legislature to a response to the movement.
One of the very few things that I agree with coming from the movement is that corporations shouldn't have the ability to lobby members of congress to make laws that favor the "corporate personhood" over individuals.
Corporations are not people. They don't deserve constitutional rights. They certainly don't deserve to be able to exploit the constitution for their goal of socioeconomic dominance.
Now, all wee need to see is a law being passed that says that people are not corporations.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
To all the sheeple that do not understand, do not agree with, or say OWS isn't making a difference... WATCH THE ABOVE VIDEO!! I dare you

This is just the beginning, watch what we can do in 4 months time!

link   
Corporate personhood is one of the worst things that ever happened in our Nation.

link   
I think if they want to include Unions as organizations along with the "Corps aren't people" statement, I can agree 100% and back the idea. However, if organized labor can back the left to near unlimited levels, so corporations should be allowed to support the largely right as they always have. Both sides are cut off from their sugar daddys are neither are. Fair is fair, right?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
You would expect that from Boulder, but who cares what Boulder, Colorado says? The city does not rule corporate law, which is international in scope. It's just another small leftist burg like Berkeley that has no idea what it is talking about.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
Corporate personhood is one of the worst things that ever happened in our Nation.

THIS^ is truely the worst thing to happen to our nation!

But so what if a state enacts an amendment when the Supreme Court has already ruled otherwise? We can't repeal the Supreme Court by state can we? If we could Roe Vs Wade would be overthrown and so would some of the Civil Right laws. And, even though some states have ruled medical marajauna legal, it's still a federal crime.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by CB328

THIS^ is truely the worst thing to happen to our nation!

But so what if a state enacts an amendment when the Supreme Court has already ruled otherwise? We can't repeal the Supreme Court by state can we? If we could Roe Vs Wade would be overthrown and so would some of the Civil Right laws. And, even though some states have ruled medical marajauna legal, it's still a federal crime.

No, the Federal crime is when Federal agents break Federal law by superseding state law using (a horrible misinterpretation of) the commerce clause as an excuse to spit on the constitution that says, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
This certainly applies to the topic at hand. I only wish that this legislature had the wording of the law that used to be on the books in (I think he said) Maryland. 5 years in prison for any person using a corporation to lobby for political control, and dissolution of said corporation.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think if they want to include Unions as organizations along with the "Corps aren't people" statement, I can agree 100% and back the idea. However, if organized labor can back the left to near unlimited levels, so corporations should be allowed to support the largely right as they always have. Both sides are cut off from their sugar daddys are neither are. Fair is fair, right?

While unions do often support the left...It is important to note that corporation buy up both sides. No exceptions.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Corporations do buy up both sides and while I think a Union can't ever match a corporation in dollars...it's enough to buy a politician and so unions should be restricted by the same laws, like Wrabbit mentioned. Yes, this is a huge issue for Occupy and I'm happy to see this kind of result...now to end Corporate Personhood across the USA.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Just wait till the 2012 elections. Don't any of you remember the Supreme Court ruling that allows corporations to spend as much as they want on candidates?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Am I understanding this correctly?

This article is saying it was a local vote to send a message to change the SCOTUS decision.

It apparently has no legal power at all?

It is a message to higher authorities only?

Citizen anger with corporate control of our politics isn’t playing out only at Occupy Wall Street rallies. In Colorado, voters occupied their polling places and urged Congress to clarify that constitutional rights belong to people, not corporations.

Boulder’s rejection of the money-is-speech fantasy that was outlined in the US Supreme Court’s disastrous Citizens United ruling of January 2010 was the latest win for a national push by the group Move to Amend to get communities to signal their opposition to the idea that corporations should be allowed to buy election results.

Occupy the Ballot: Colorado Voters Reject Corporate Power

MovetoAmend.org

About Us

MovetoAmend.org is a coalition supported by hundreds of organizations and tens of thousands of individuals dedicated to ending the illegitimate legal doctrines that prevent the American people from governing ourselves.

maybe it's a start.

MovetoAmend supporters list

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Absolutely!

Corporations are not persons, neither are unions. Neither are businesses whether small, medium or large. Neither are non-profit organizations, or so-called "industry advocates".

The only persons are (duh.... wait for it) PERSONS!

And if this means that candidates don't have the resources to force me to listen to never ending political garbage advertisements, I'm sure I will find some way to fill the extra time.

Maybe I'll stare into the abyss, or attempt to find the bottom of my naval.... Both of these activities have more benefit to mankind than a political lie, erm... advertisement!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Corporations do buy up both sides and while I think a Union can't ever match a corporation in dollars...

Twelve out of the top twenty donors on opensecrets.org's heavy hitters list are unions. (And yes, they all lean exceedingly left.) Most corporations will never see the kind of money that these unions throw around.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
NPR has an interview on this subject with a Yale law professor. (About as far fron conservative as can be.)

Among other things, he tells us that the Citizen United case was decided by the Justices that weren't claiming personhood. The Justices that didn't like Citizens United were the one that thought a corporation has personhood.

That means EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T PEOPLE THEY COULD STILL DONATE AS THEY PLEASED.

WITT: Well, for example, a corporation can be prosecuted for a crime, which is something that usually only persons can be prosecuted for. But on the other hand, corporations get rights. They get rights to contract. They can't marry or run for office or vote, but they can speak. Things like that.

WITT: What the court started to do around the turn of the 20th century and into the 20th century was to begin to force legislatures at the state level and the federal Congress to treat metaphysical persons, that is to say corporations, the same as natural persons for purposes of contracting and rights to property.

WITT: I don't think we'd want to end corporate personhood in the sense that ordinary people, including people in the Occupy Wall Street movement, may want to get together and form groups, which should have respect of the legal process.

NPR Corporate personhood interview

The Russian Television guy has a lot of stuff wrong. Please reconsider your position on corporte personhood, if you don't understand the consequences

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli

Originally posted by Kali74
Corporations do buy up both sides and while I think a Union can't ever match a corporation in dollars...

Twelve out of the top twenty donors on opensecrets.org's heavy hitters list are unions. (And yes, they all lean exceedingly left.) Most corporations will never see the kind of money that these unions throw around.

That's because they steal it from their members in the form of "dues" and give it to democrats. The democrats get elected on Union money, and then the unions "bargain" with the democrats they elect.

This is why public sector unions are a BAD THING.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Well that is small step in the right direction....

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

excellent and bump...corporations SHOULD NOT be treated as people plain and simple...

The second we start bowing down to corporations every want and whim...we give up our humanity...in their standards at least...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
i agree.
see devvy.com for the best research on the 16th and 17th amendments - never ratified.
and woodie 'the puppet' wilson gave up the unfed reserve-less bank to his masters 12 - 21 - 1913.

new topics

top topics

join