It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Gold Medal for first Black Marines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think this has been a long time coming, and I am glad to see it finally happening. I really don't know why it took so long to realize that when you are fighting along side your allies, it doesn't matter what color you are because we all bleed red and that they too, were fighting to protect freedom. I really think this is great news for these gentlemen, and I thank them for their service to our country. Im just sorry it took so long to be honored and recognized.

After years of discrimination, mistreatment and near invisibility postwar, African-American Marines of World War II are on the verge of getting the Congressional Gold Medal, the Detroit Free Press reports. It's about time, too, Robert Hassler, 86, told the paper. Hassler says he lied about his age to enlist 70 years ago. "It's always bothered me -- every year for Black History Month, they talk about the Tuskegee Airmen," Hassler said. "Nobody knows about the Montford Point Marines." A Congressional Gold Medal, America’s highest civilian honor, could change that. More than 16 million Americans answered the call to arms in World War II. Of those, 600,000 were the few, the proud, the Marines. In 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered the armed forces to accept African Americans into their ranks, and the Marine Corps was the last to fall in line. Even then, segregation remained as the black recruits and draftees were trained in their own facility -- a patch of land adjacent to Camp Lejeune, N.C., called Montford Point. They were forbidden from entering Camp Lejeune without special authorization. According to the paper, these men endured top brass hostility, segregated training, scornful treatment and the demeaning belief that they didn't have the guts, character and discipline to defend their country in combat. With probably fewer than 300 of them still alive, the Montford Point Marines are within reach of a Congressional Gold Medal. The measure cleared the House of Representatives last month without a dissenting vote, and its backers hope it will win Senate approval by the Marine Corps birthday on Thursday.

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 6-11-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I believe these men deserve this and much more. I just wish I didn't have this nagging feeling someone is trying to schmooze the African-Americans of this country...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I believe these men deserve this and much more. I just wish I didn't have this nagging feeling someone is trying to schmooze the African-Americans of this country...

I wouldnt neccisarily use the phrase deserve it". I think earned would be more appropriate since its based on their heroism and action in the face of the enemy as well as their comrades.

They need to drop the Congressional part and keep it as Medal of Honor. Using Congressional in my opinion smacks of political curtain calls and explotation of the moment for political use.

Aside from that, this is a long time coming. We need to do more to assist our military personnel and their families, as well as honor those who served who are still living or pulling patrols on the streets in heaven.

Our defense budget is close to a trillion dollars. Why we dont allocate a decent chunk for our vets / families of vets is beyond me.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'd seen the story and I'm always moved by the stories behind the men who receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. What I believe will really be a day to celebrate though is when a Black Marine or Asian, Latino or Muslim Marine receives the CMH and those headlines simply read than a American Marine/Hero received it.

When America no longer feels the necessity in listing the race as part of the headline, we've arrived at racial equality in a true sense.

After OP corrected the references, my above relates to the Congressional Gold Medal, not Congressional Medal of Honor. Huge difference... My bad for not fact checking myself before the post, although the racial fixation is still as valid a point as ever there was one.
edit on 6-11-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: Correction.....

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Semper Fi my brothers

Black , white, yellow, it doesnt matter your Marines are your brothers and closer then any blood ....

The bonds you hold in war time are hard to explain

Ooooraaaah

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

1. Its the gold medal, not the medal of honor.
2. There is no honor in accepting an award just because you are black. Its actually pretty pathetic.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
These men deserved to honored for their service to this country that's very true. But not any more than any other Marine does. They are Marines. Segregation is wrong no doubt about that. We owe them and all the others, who all so put in separate units because of their race.

They received a Congressional Gold Medal not the CMH.

Semper Fi .

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I corrected the headline, my mistake, but still its great honor, and long overdue.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

If they earned it. They deserve it. But I agree with your thoughts on this. S&

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Earned it?

They earned our thanks, our gratitude, the debt of our people as a whole regardless of what color they are for their sacrifice..

But they don't deserve the highest civilian honor simply because they were black Marines. I just cannot condone giving such high honors for absolutely nothing but being black.. there is no honor in that. There is also no honor in asking for such an award (the man quoted in the article) .. Give them some kind of public recognition sure, even dedicate a monument, but don't dilute the value of an award such as the Gold Medal by giving it away just because they're black.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I realize this is a touchy topic for everyone. However these men are recognized, they have earned and deserve the recognition they were denied decades ago. But instead, insult was added to injury, and this indeed is a long time coming.

I don't think we're going to change the minds of the opportunists who devised this scheme as to what kind of award they give them, so I say let these men enjoy their recognition, even if those giving it are insincere in doing it.

top topics

join