It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Vancouver death dooms protest camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The death of a woman taking part in the Occupy Vancouver protest at the city's art gallery has led the city's mayor to announce the protest movement's tent city will be cleared.

"I have directed the city manager to expedite the appropriate steps to end the encampment as soon as possible with a safe resolution being absolutely critical to that," Mayor Gregor Robertson said Saturday night.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

I am unsure how bad this is going to look on both sides,

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Well, seeing how it was a drug overdose, this really puts a dent in their credibility. I don't think this will effect the entire movement, and I think Vancouver protesters will find another method of occupation. It's natural to think that this could have and would have happened anywhere, but since it was at the encampment, it's obvious that immediate eviction would follow.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Why would the [possibly] natural death of a woman at an Occupy rally necessitate the tearing down of an entire camp? The "officials" are really fishing for reasons with this one. Drugs are endemic to these rallies as they are endemic to society in general, some illegal, most legal, yet both forms are generally not healthy.
The way I see it is; this woman died in protest, and to squash this protest as a result of her death is to spit in the face of her and her efforts. The people of Vancouver need to remain in place, keep up the good fight, and be vigilant to the needs and well being of their fellow campers to aid in the prevention further deaths, whether they be natural or not.

edit on 6-11-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
Why would the [possibly] natural death of a woman at an Occupy rally necessitate the tearing down of an entire camp?

Because they are looking for any excuse they can find, to shut it down. A death is the perfect excuse.

While, it sounds like she died not as a result of violence, it is things like this that have me here, encouraging all involved to please remain peaceful and to not respond violently to any aggressive actions by the police or anyone else.

At this point, cities are looking for any excuse to shut them down. Deaths, violence and other similar things are what will cause major crack downs....

If the root cause of the movement and the non-violence that was promised in the beginning, are forgotten.... Then the movement will be lost.

Here we have a woman dead. Granted I don't think she died as a result of any violence. But as you can see, they are using it as an excuse to shut it down.

I hope this does not turn into another Oakland.... The violence does NOT need to spread. If violence over takes the movement, watch how fast the movement fails and watch how fast cities swoop in to shut them down.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I just want to reply to the person who made this comment in the other thread that got closed:

Yea and Vancouver isn't exactly the safest of cities either, their west side always has problems, and they did have the riot after the NHL finals, and the Vancouver 2010 Olympic riots.

@hypr2011

For the record, it's the EAST side. And, there were no riots during the Olympics.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
www.vancouversun.com...

Occupy Vancouver protesters get notice to dismantle camp

Here it is folks, I expect this to turn nasty. The protestors are expected not to leave.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

An oversdose caused by her using off the grounds. Probally another plant!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Yea; the Guelph one, says no drugs or alcohol will be used there, and there is day and night watch. So they are keeping an eye on everyone and everything.

top topics

join