It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Five Days the World Could End (As You Know It)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

O RLY???

I wonder what part of Texas is being aimed at right now by this big rock?

Here is the thing: a 7.8 quake in Texas would be devastating. Texas sits on a whole bunch of limestone, and we have quite a few underground springs and aquifers. The drought has caused these to run at far, far lower levels. The lack of hydraulic support is a concern for me, as limestone is known to erode. In the areas where the erosion are greater, there is less structural support of the upper crust already. Imagine the ages of water flow we have had in those limestone bound aquifers....

Add to this the drilling. Not just drilling, but frac drilling. I was driving to Lubbock on Thursday (actually to Idalou, outside Lubbock...but no one has heard of Idalou
) for a junior high football game and noted that at one point about 20 miles from my hometown, I could count 10 new wells being drilled. These were small rig operations, either. BP is about to start drilling en masse further to the west, near Ft. Stockton. Right now, and for the last 4 years the oil boom has been on in West Texas.

All the drilling leaves open cavities in the rock below (unless you are talking about shale operations, like near the Gulf). Add to this the fracture drilling, and the effects it has had on the limestone buttresses and structural support in between the aquifer systems.

West Texas has been having quakes recently. We have always had them, but not as frequently as we have lately. I think this is caused mostly by the release of weight from the loss of surface water in our drought. Entire lakes of dried up. Large lakes, like Lake Meredith near Amarillo. That is a LOT of weight to release from the crust. And this release of pressure, in my opinion, is driving our earthquakes.

To me, it seems like a quake of that size would be devastating to the geology of the area.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The loss of the Power Grid would really mean death in the millions. Loss of the power grid would mean that the positive flow natural gas pipes would lose there charge...so there would be no heat, there would be no fuel from underground fuel tanks, the trucks that delivery the food would have no fuel, so there will be no food on the shelves. Most Americans do not have but a few days of food in the pantry. Without power, nearly all communication will be down and those that have not failed-will eventually. Refrigeration units will fail- meat will spoil. Those in hospitals will lose power once the generators go off line. Remember what happened in New Orleans when the hospital lost power. People are heavily dependent on their gadgets and have forgotten knowledge. The People in cities such as any major city and especially those that depend on subways...are pretty much all dead. Loss of power from a Solar Flare...would be devastating.

An asteroid? It will never happen... well guess what? It has been going on long before we stood erect.

Be prepared, never know what is going to happen.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So this must be why they're doing that test of the emergency alert system.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I agree that a complete loss of power would mean an incredible loss of life. And it would indeed be a major change to our lifes. But a complete end? The world is not ending... That would imply the world is going somewhere and you are not. But that fact is you are ending, and that in inevitable. And electricity and the means of which it supplies is a way for us to live longer, not like cavemen.

I guess what I am getting at is, to be informed is good, but to let any of this change your lifestyle or conscious being is to far. You can not control it, why let it change you? I plan to live my days happy, not afraid. Why fear the future, embrace it!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
So this must be why they're doing that test of the emergency alert system.

It could be but the funny thing is if the power failed then one of the first things to fail would be the EAS for few people would hear it even if they were about to transmit.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If it happens it happens.

I for one am glad I am not in the northern
US where this will occur.

Nothing to worry about for me!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
LOL Cats are gonna get you guys.

Page one, I already explained why the power grid wont be damaged for years. They have a plan. same for comm sats. New firmware has already been downloaded.

you might see them turn everything off for a week or so but thats it. If your ipod burns up, then there will be new jobs making more. same for your cars and other things.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Im sorry that is no longer true.

Operation solar shield will turn off the electric grid and power down the sats in space before either is damaged.

Google solar shield and nasa. there is a recent one from this summer.

THEIR electric grid and THEIR sattelites maybe.

You can't "power down" the global electric grid, and even if you could, if the CME is big enough the infrastructure would be fried regardless of active current or not.

If a big enough CME would hit our planet these days, i would dare to say it would knock us back to the stone age, apart from some very important locations (think DUMB's and such)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

You do know that electronics don't have to be on for them to be destroyed right?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ShakaDoodle

Initially, I thought it was another one of those doomsday threads predictions even though no mortal would know the exact time of our species' demise, but am glad to have read it. Thanks OP, for you do have valid concerns.

The sun's effects do have corresponding responses on Earth. Now that there is scientific evidence confirmed by space observatories around the world of our planet facing an active region of the sun within days, and its range for the next 6 months as our planet rotates around the sun, we mankind best be prepared, and NOT be COMPLACENT.

There is still so much of science that we as a species have yet to comprehend, more so with the 'discoveries' that we make daily, which proves we are still infants in the education of Universe dynamics. What would be the sun's effects upon Earth, not just physically, but MENTALLY as well?

We know now, even though limitedly, that our DNA produces chemicals in our brains which can make us go through a wide range of emotions, the very emotions that make us what we each uniquely are. What about the effects of the sun's CME - energy particles that travels at the speed of light through space, hitting us, with a weakening atmosphere as proven by science? We are still infants in the area of neurology, and worse perhaps even universe science.

Earth had been hit by such CMEs before, and survived, so will we, even limited in knowledge we possess today but far advanced with or without Tech than our predeccesors.

For the religious faithful, never under-estimate the power of prayers to our common Creator, and for atheists, whom had yet to comprehend the spiritual but still possess the inborn spirit gifted to us, to differentiate between doing the right and wrong thing, may they do what is needed to be done to help mankind pull through these comming 2 weeks, together as one race.

Be prepared for what is to come, for we had been forewarned - take precautions, life is more precious than material things and to flee when something is wrong and is physically abnormal, help and support one another come rain or shine or quakes.

Earth had never been a stable planet, but take comfort that we mankind will still survive, and will continue to survive, not by ourselves alone, but by helping one another and never leaving another behind.

Good luck! :-)
edit on 6-11-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yep, we live in uncertain times, that is for sure! I think the possiblity of a solar flare disaster is a huge possibility and one that most people should be aware of in order to protect and provide for themselves and their family as best they can. My biggest concern is that this kind of a solar flare could happen in the middle of the day when everyone is a work, school, wherever. Hopefully most of us would be able to start our cars and get home safely. If not, there would be mass panic and chaos. Not a nice thing to think about as far as trying to make it home in the midst of that.....unless you are a marathon runner. Maybe we should all try to lay off of the fast food for a while.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
No electricity, cell phones yada yada yada.
Looks like a lifesaving gift to the postal service everyone else...

Life will still go on.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Ever see the movie "Knowing" It pretty much sums TPTB's plans up...

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
11-11-11

i am sure going to try to get to an Applebys for the Free Veterans' dinners...i won't complain on buying a Adams beer though

2nd line.

well... free dinners IF this side of the Planet does not get the cosmic blast from the Suns CMEs..

see there is a failsafe built into the system, and in this case its the 24 hour period of rotation which will protect at least half the population from the immediate effects of bursts/sunspots/cme's
not saying the darkside of the planet will be completely saved from catastrophies ...as there will be the inevitable chain of failures that will bring collapses to one degree or another to most every system of infrastructure for nations & socirties
edit on 6-11-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Check out this old thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

THis is regarding an email sent from the wife of an electrical engineer and the coming solarstorms.

Interesting.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

Your right but...we are a resourceful people and as long as people don't freak out and panic and no doubt some would I believe we could survive without all those things...remember its how we all got to this point as survivors with nothing but our ingenuity.

I am not too worried about a CME at this point as lots of things are shielded against it...does not mean it could not be bad but if people just work together you would be amazed at how much better it could be without all the crap we think we need

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

good find
here is a thread from 2009 where they are talking about the possibility as what seems to be happen now in 2011...if there were no electricity one day..without being able to access ATS, how would i ever know

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You should not worry to much,this Christmas on Texas Peninsula,on a ride to port Oklahoma is not so bad!!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen,
Let us be alert, not alarmed.
Let us face the morrow with open eyes and minds,
Not quivering beneath the crushing enigma of fleeting life.

Change is the only true gift.
The questons are the answers.
The answers give us questions.
It is only in this moment that we may awaken.

HEARKEN! People, of one and of legions.
Sleep no more in your burning beds of constancy!
Welcome the soaring cinders as you would the morning sunlight.

(So that's a little poetry on my part, but the point is: learn, grow, evolve, and doubt... but do not fear change.)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Im sorry that is no longer true.

Operation solar shield will turn off the electric grid and power down the sats in space before either is damaged.

Google solar shield and nasa. there is a recent one from this summer.

Can you point me to the recent event you speak of?

All I've found is that Operation Solar Shield is it is a predictor for the power companies, not in control of their switches. It seems to be in it's early stages still also. Reading one of the paragraphs in this article it seems they would have to be really exact with their data to safely predict, and do it in perfect time. Do't think we are out of any woods in regards to CMEs and our powergrid.

"We quickly feed the data into CCMC computers," says Pulkkinen. "Our models predict fields and currents in Earth's upper atmosphere and propagate these currents down to the ground." With less than 30 minutes to go, Solar Shield can issue an alert to utilities with detailed information about GICs.

Pulkkinen stresses that Solar Shield is experimental and has never been field-tested during a severe geomagnetic storm. A small number of utility companies have installed current monitors at key locations in the power grid to help the team check their predictions. So far, though, the sun has been mostly quiet with only a few relatively mild storms during the past year. The team needs more data.

"We'd like more power companies to join our research effort," he adds. "The more data we can collect from the field, the faster we can test and improve Solar Shield." Power companies work with the team through EPRI, the Electric Power Research Institute. Of course a few good storms would help test the system, too. They're coming. The next solar maximum is expected around 2013, so it's only a matter of time.

science.nasa.gov...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join