It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampires and teens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I have just seen on the news that yet another vampire movie is huge.

This series of vampire movies has teens enthralled.

This is evil negative stuff.

And while our teens are enraptured by this, they are learning negative behaviour. And these movies have a huge sexual thrill in order to capture these young people.

So they are learning that it is OK to suck the heart and soul out of people.

They are not learning kindness or consideration of others.

They are learning this message "Have impulsive sex with a dangerous, handsome person, and to hell with the consequences."

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Since this is in the philosophy forum and all. What kind of person would have their actions dictated by a simple form of entertainment? Someone that's sound of body and mind, or someone that's likely to succumb to any outside influence? Do you believe that all people are defined by what they're exposed to, or simply take the parts they like and agree with and add them to their personalities?

Vampires, or "goths" in my experience are not bad or dirty people, but they love those movies. It's a fun exercise into the things in our mind that our conscious keeps us from acting on.

Essentially, do you attempt to regulate life, which can be a very nasty reality, or do you teach them right from wrong and let them define things as they see fit?
edit on 6-11-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I suggest if you feel this way... that you do the obvious thing... and not let your children watch vampire movies.

Hope that helps

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Teens have their actions and mindset dictated when they are in over their heads and are being brainwashed.

That is my concern.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Then your concern is really in that you've done a poor job defining their morality, and building them as an individual. Brainwashing requires a willing participant. Those with little to lose and that may be depressed are the prime candidate for a successful brainwash, which is in no way the fault of a movie. No one will ever succumb to anything that's bad unless their life depends on it (if they have a proper sense of morality). If you think that by watching those movies or dressing in an alternative style, that their soul is being taken, that's out of my area, sorry.

On a personal note, teens do not have anything dictated to them. In fact, they're the least likely age group to be brainwashed, but the most likely to make genuine mistakes in an attempt to define their own individuality.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Bad parenting results in kids making bad decisions.

My father gave me "the talk" a year after I had been having sex at least once a day with my then girlfriend at the age of 16. I had been sleeping over at her house for months before he decided he should talk to me about sex. I was like "too little too late". Thankfully I was naturally smart enough to use protection as was she, but still.

Its vampires because if you pay attention to these shallow movies you will realize its just a sappy love story. Its identical to the romance novels people make fun of but with people wearing all black and leather and being immortal and all.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I would like all our children to have a positive message.

And the vampire message is literally sucking blood out of the positive message.

So, parents, are you going to talk to your teens?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Cramming a positive message down a child's throat is more likely to make them turn to the unique things they were not exposed to in an attempt to gain individuality and self expression, imo. Tell them to stay out of the cookies, and where is the first place they go when you're not looking?
I'm not a parent, but I've felt like one with my younger sister. I would never bombard her with anything other than the idea that thought and morality will guide you through life well.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Just another dark fairytale. Girl meets boy, boy falls in love with human or common girl. All stories have the same basic plot. When I was young it was Cinderella or the big bad wolf or snow white. And the children who were coerced into the gingerbread house. Some people have a problem with fiction and reality. I love the works of Anne Rice, not just for the complete escapism into another world (like sci-fi) but for the words that can make you believe anything is true. Vampires have always had that sexual underlying facination. Look at Harry Potter and the witchy wizardry stuff written, yet millions of children actually started to read because of the stories, and I doubt many of them thought they were going to grow up to go to Hogwarts. The big studios are just cashing in on the newest fad, until the next comes along. Don't make it a taboo for your kids otherwise they will, of course, want to view or read, just make sure they understand it is just fiction until proven otherwise.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The OP sounds very sarcastic. There is no way you could actually believe what you just wrote.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I suggested talking to teenagers.

But everyone is running scared.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

When you talk to a teenager, in my experience get down to the real point. Don't just talk to them about how vampire movies are bad, say things that will make them approach everything in life as a student. A student that wants answers. Make sure they're questioning what is right, and what is wrong. If you try to control them, you will fail miserably with most teenagers.

Basically, loosen the reins on specific formality, and let them know about fundamentals. Get them comfortable with speaking to you. If you can't do it, ask an older sibling to do it. Not everything a person needs to hear can be said by a parent.

I think parents that are overly authoritative tend to lose their children, and blame it on outside influences. I speak to my sister (11 years younger), on equal ground as if she's an adult. She makes straight A's and is visiting colleges this summer. She also respects me, and is a well behaved teenager. Hopefully this helps, if you're serious. If not, it's still a good topic for debate.

She's very different from me. I was raised only by my Dad, who was ex-military and a real hardass. Yes sir, no sir type. Everything he had to say went in one ear and out the other. He never said anything beyond boring and basic statements that in no way made me think about anything. He always said, "one day you'll know I'm right". The thing is, that day doesn't have to be years after the conversation happened. You can get teenagers thinking right now! He now asks me for social related advice.
He's also done a lot of changing because of it.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Hi, Ev,

Even though you love to put me down, we are on the same page about teens.

I meant, talk, to them - really talk - try and find out where they are - not dictate.

I am trying to open up discussion with teenagers, and I am finding mostly negatives.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I wasn't trying to put you down, just get you thinking.

This is not something I'm saying to be mean but, if they're shutting you out, it's because you aren't worth listening to in their eyes. I recommend you try more subtle approaches.

Example:

I'm a smoker, and when picking my sister up from school the other day, I complained about having to sit without a cigarette for 45 minutes due to an accident.

Sister: "Why don't you smoke anyways? They're not going to arrest you."
Me: "It's wrong to break the law, even when no one is looking."
Sister: "I guess so."

If you have their respect, you can remind them in subtle ways that defining right and wrong should be a daily thing, not related to anyone in authority. Be sneaky!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Ev,

I am thinking, believe me please.

I am thinking these movies are evil.

I am thinking these movies are brainwashing our kids.

I am thinking - how do we get our kids out of this brainwash?

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Building a sense of morality and self pride. As I said, brainwashing only works on the willing. Make sure your kids are not willing to be brainwashed.

If they're in the car and give you a small inquiry, take it somewhere. Manipulate the conversation to your advantage, and let them know that you can still define right and wrong while living and enjoying whatever you deem acceptable entertainment.

If they completely shut down, and either will not talk or only wish to lash out at you, have someone else get them out of the rut to the point that you can take over. An aunt, uncle, friend, someone they will talk to.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I totally disagree that one has to be willing to be brain washed. And brain washed is not the right way to say it, brain washing is what is required after it has been filled full of dirt. You are being programmed, that is why tv has programmes.
I suppose some on this thread would consider putting their very small children in front of Disney as the safest bet, but Disney are 'programming' your children sublimanary. Subliminal images are everywhere.
Unfortunatey it is not always as obvious as vampire films.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Hi, Its,

You are so right.

People do not agree to be brainwashed because they have no idea what is happening.

Our teens are being brainwashed.

And this leads to an alarming scenario. We no longer have actual human heroes, we just have blanks.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Classic brain washing technique is to first remove all trace of morality and anything a person has to live for, and then refill with whatever you want. You can't have a 100% success rate at brain washing unless you fully break a person down. Why do you think boot camp in the military was such a psychological event years ago? They broke you, and they rebuilt you. It worked very well but occasionally caused insanity. You're mistaking the power of suggestion with brain washing. Washing requires something to be removed, and when complete, the empty vessel can be filled with whatever.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
And we end up with a whole generation who has been hardened not to care about anyone.

So where does that leave us?

That is why the end will come.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join