It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.6 Just Hit Oklahoma..........Felt in Joplin, Mo

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I live in central Oklahoma, and it almost made me piss my pants!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Oklastatefan

Weird, I check USGS 3-4 times a day and now that this thread is started and referencing yesterdays quake in OK, there is no data on USGS for yesterdays....it's blank. The only info is this recent one. What's up with that???

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Kinda like having an earthquake in DC in the middle of the day in a townhouse in the basement. Sharted my pants a little.....

29INFDIV

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rodneycsr

I am sure your not the only one........

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
KOCO news just upgraded the quake to a 5.6

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I live in SW Ok, felt it pretty well. House shook, cabinets rattled, almost fell out of my rolly chair. Didn't feel the one this morning, but I was sleeping. Interesting.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I live in Kansas City,Mo and I was napping all the sudden I heard this rush that sounded like an airplane coming directly for my window.(I am on the second floor.) Then the window rattled very voilently all this was under a minute. At first I thought it was the wind because it had been windy on and off today. This was different and it happened around 4 pm like was stated in the offical report. I had no idea that oklahoma had a fault line what is it called?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by randyvs

Fracking

Any stats to go with that theory ?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well if I remember correctly any earthquake in this general area are going to be felt at long distance because of the plates here are more solid vs the coast or something like that. If I'am wrong sorry

link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Alrright ! The question here imo is, what kind of natural occurance could be causing this rather unusual occurance in the heartland? Right in the middle of the continent ?

Hope everyone's good.
edit on 5-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Fault lines

www.newson6.com... Network:
Oklahoma Has History Of Earthquakes

link   
reply to post by randyvs

There is a whole thread concerning the fracking.......not sure how much is going on where this quake occured

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Did it only happen once today because I felt another one a little later. I was on my sofa and the window started rattling like crazy. I was paniced because it really sounded like an airplane coming straight for my window.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

This is news to me because being born in St. Joe Mo. and having half my known family coming from Ok. But living in Ca. since I was two. I guess I just never heard any kin mention the quakes. Thank you for the hook up Pauligirl.

edit on 5-11-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Oklahoma has several ancient faults, but it also has the Meers fault, which isn't that old. Here's a USGS map of it. If you look around in some of the prophecy/end of times websites, you can find a bit about it being what could cause the New Madrid to finally erupt, or New Madrid could cause it to have something as high as a 7.0.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

I remember those ones. Fun times.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I've lived in North TX my entire life, and both sides of my family are from TX. Both sides have lived here for generations, and there isn't any real experience with earthquakes. Tornado? Been there, done that. Occasional hurricane? Not that big of a deal either. Drought? Pfht. Earthquake? WTH is that?! The first person that I've ever known to have experienced a "real" earthquake (something over a 3.0) was my dad when he was in DC for that quake not too long ago. They just don't really happen around here. Ever. At least not on a noticeable scale.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm just a few minutes from Joplin, I felt the other recent ones too. I'm originally from southern coastal CA so to me it felt like "fairly mild shallow" stuff but my neighbors were completely freaking out. Apparently quakes are not real common in the midwest!

RC

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is what does not make sense to me thought is that the sound from the earthquake came from above instead of below? Is there any explaination? Did anyone else hear the sound with it?
Like I said earlier I don't live near an airport and for one to be flying that low I would have to say is a plane about to crash.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

i heard it. i thought it was a KC-135 flying pretty low but then the sound just.. stopped.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
You can change title, it's M 5.6 ..

Magnitude 5.6
Date-Time

Sunday, November 06, 2011 at 03:53:10 UTC
Saturday, November 05, 2011 at 10:53:10 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.599°N, 96.752°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles)
Region OKLAHOMA
Distances 34 km (21 miles) NNE of Shawnee, Oklahoma
63 km (39 miles) SSE of Stillwater, Oklahoma
68 km (42 miles) ESE of Guthrie, Oklahoma
71 km (44 miles) ENE of OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.9 km (8.6 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST=298, Nph=298, Dmin=208.2 km, Rmss=1.54 sec, Gp= 22°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0006klz

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude Mw 5.6

Region OKLAHOMA
Date time 2011-11-06 03:53:10.0 UTC
Location 35.65 N ; 96.74 W
Depth 2 km
Distances 72 km NE Norman (pop 101,742 ; local time 22:53:10.0 2011-11-05)
37 km NE Shawnee (pop 29,721 ; local time 22:53:10.0 2011-11-05)
6 km SE Davenport (pop 873 ; local time 22:53:10.0 2011-11-05)

www.emsc-csem.org...

We have strong solar activity from very big sunspot group AR 1339, personally expect strong earthquake and volcano activity in next 12 days ..

Think AR 1339 and other sunspot from that active belt of Sun caused that earthquake and of course present pressure in that area last months ..

It's similar latitude north of Sun active belt or that AR1339 and Earth earthquakes around 37', in past situations that connection is very present ..

That AR1339 bombarding Earth last 3-4 days with solar flares ..

Solar flares affect all layers of the solar atmosphere (photosphere, chromosphere, and corona), when the medium plasma is heated to tens of millions of kelvins and electrons, protons, and heavier ions are accelerated to near the speed of light. They produce radiation across the electromagnetic spectrum at all wavelengths, from radio waves to gamma rays

Next days very possibly we have solar wind in Earth direction ..

The flare ejects clouds of electrons, ions, and atoms through the corona into space. These clouds typically reach Earth a day or two after the event

en.wikipedia.org...

EM radiation is classified by wavelength into radio wave, microwave, infrared, the visible region we perceive as light, ultraviolet, X-rays and gamma rays.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-11-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join