It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Penn St. Coach, Others Charged In Child Sex Case

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

You can blame JP all you want and maybe he does have some guilt in this situation, but I believe that this boy's father had a responsibility to take this to the police ASAP. Sexual abuse is not something you have a pow wow about with the abuser's associate. If indeed the father went to Paterno, then saw that Paterno had done nothing, the ball is back in the father's court to do the thing he should've done the first time and gone to the cops.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

True, there's a lot of guilt to go around in this situation, if the father of the victim was aware and did nothing (or worse took a pay-off of some kind)...then he failed as a father and protector, he needs to also be charged with neglect and accessory to Sandusky's crimes.

Anyone and everyone who had any knowledge of Sandusky's sexual assaults on young boys and did nothing or just passed the buck needs to be held accountable because their inaction facilitated the rape and assault of children.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I'll drink to that!

I just don't ever want to see innocents get dragged into a witch hunt, which is easily accomplished in cases like this. Paterno may not be squeaky clean, but I'd like to know if the father actually did speak with him as well as all the other details before I blame anyone besides Sandusky, the DA, and the boy's father for any wrong doing.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I think that's something we can all drink to.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Child sex abuse happens because those who find out don't tell; the victims like me feel responsible until years later when we confront the abusers and "out" the perverts ....... My dear sweet grandmother failed me when she did not tell my parents what was happening to me when I was 10. As a fellow Pennsylvanian from York, Pa I am sure they didn't stop there. One perp was my brother who later started coaching the Northeastern High School wrestling team. He was suddenly canned. I was told that he was "working out" the wrestlers too hard physically but I have my doubts since I know of his dark side.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

You are so right, being a victim I often wonder if I yelled loud enough when I spoke to my family about what happened 15 years later ... and yes I fell guilty for not speaking up sooner because I suspect he molested his wife's little brother.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Well, as I predicted they fired Joe Paterno last night, so at least they are finally making good decisions at Penn State. Some of the students rioted, turned over a news van and such...really a no win situation at this point for the school. At least they can start rebuilding their reputation now, it will take a while.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think Paterno is being railroaded here.

A Grad student tells Paterno about what he said happened in the shower. Paterno informed his superiors about the incident and THEY were the ones who covered it up.

The District Attorney has stated that Paterno acted properly when he informed his superiors about the incident.

If Paterno had witnessed the incident in the shower and didn't call the Police, then I would support his firing and the possibility of charges.

What I find interesting is that nobody is asking the Grad student, who WITNESSED the incident in the shower, why he didn't call the Police at the time?

Please don't throw the "you support child abuse" lines at me. If I witnessed the shower incident, I would have killed Sandusky on the spot. I have no problem with people going to jail over this, but, let's make sure that it is the right people, not the people who can create the most media sensationalism.
edit on 10-11-2011 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I also am confused about the Grad Student who witnessed it, I'm sure he's next on the chopping block...as he should be.

But it doesn't excuse Joe Pa, he still had a responsibility, moral and legal, to make sure Sandusky was stopped and punished in a criminal capacity. He - as leader of the Penn State football program - allowed it to continue for many years. You can't ignore that, also you can't have him honored and cheered right now with things still coming to light. Sandusky was running his organization since 1977, the known victims so far are only from the early 2000s and you better believe that there will be more victims coming forward - and from when he was under the direct supervision of Paterno.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Growing up with PSU my whole life, meeting both Paterno and Sandusky in the early 80's, my mom knows the Sanduskys etc etc etc.. bla bla bla.

I will be the first to admit that I was no fan of JoPa's (anymore). I personally thought he should have retired about 15 years ago but all that aside, I find myself unsure what to think. I think TOO much is being put on Paterno instead of Sandusky-but so be it.

I read this commentary from a local paper near PSU. I think the writer hits it on the head but .... you be the judge.

Paterno Deserves Better Than This
lewistownsentinel.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is being referred to as a polarizing issue and it's killing me. Exactly what are the two sides on this? My mind see's one pole being those that hate a man charged with 40 counts of sexual perversion against young boys. The other pole seems to be made up of those that believe a handful of rich old men who (inadvertently or not) let sexual abuse continue for well over a decade are being punished too harshly.
I love college football and have held a great deal of respect for Paterno for a long time. It seems nearly impossible to think this man will be forever known as somewhat of a poedaphile enabler. That being said - the men fired are the most powerful at the university and had a working knowledge of what Sandusky was capable of. They need to go. They do not need our forgiveness. They do need for our country and countries around the world (Thailand!!!!!) to rally behind this issue and do more to stop it. This is about as hainous as it gets.
The questions this issue should raise are deeper and much more profound. Sandusky's position is one of the most powerful (outside the church) to be used for this purpose. Teachers, coaches, priests - these seem to be the most common. We need to realize the problem goes even higher than that. If the power of a defensive coordinator can influence ADULTS to keep their mouth shut, what else might be going on that adult witnesses are intimidated by the offender.
Finally - NAMBLA actually exists! How can this be possible? How can anyone in this country fight against homosexuality, gay rights, gay marriage or gays in the military when there are organisations like this operating in our country? Wouldn't this be a more noble battle to fight before we run off worrying about people who have kinky sex? Noble or not - at least it's a battle that can be won. How happy would everyone be if anon put out a list of those that belong to NAMBLA?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
JoPa is taking the brunt of the beating it seems. Let's remember that, for now, he never witnessed anything. The incident was only reported to him. He took it to the next level, which was appropriate since he was not an eye witness. I, myself, wouldn't have been able to work next to Sandusky without puking on him. But, here on ATS, we know rumors abound and being the receiver of information puts one in a curious spot. Do you assume it's true and lead the march or pass the info on and stay out of it?

The man who witnessed the rape should've went to the police. Penn State's President should've gone to the police once Paterno notified him.

Then, let's also look at the missing (declared dead) DA that chose not to prosecute Sandusky in 1998. There is a lot more to this story. It seems as though maybe the Pennsylvanian justice department is putting a lot of weight on Paterno to keep the eyes away from them because he is the most powerful man involved right now. Someone very high up in LE and the justice department knew what was going on and these are the sole individuals that the iron needs to be taken to. We may even get to see some judges and high level law enforcement officials getting outed as more information comes to light.

If I were JoPa, I'm not sure how I would've acted. Had I witnessed the rape, I know I would've gone to the police instead of pussy footing around by passing the info on to my colleages. Receiving information about a serious crime when you didn't witness it is a bad spot to be in. He passed it on to a higher authority thinking it was the right thing and now has to pay for his decision. Considering JoPa's reputation, if I were the President of the school and he came to me with this information, I'd take him seriously and do my due diligence to make sure things were handled correctly. I don't understand why JoPa is getting more heat than the man who was running the entire college.

Now, let's keep our focus on those who had direct knowledge of the crimes such as Sandusky, the one who witnessed the rape, the Penn State Pres., the PA district attorney's office, parents of the victims, and any other LE who knew and chose to turn a blind eye and deaf ear.

It's a very sad time for many right now (especially the victims) and we must remember to direct our anger towards the most guilty parties.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I thought this should be added to this thread since there's less bickering. We really need to keep the spotlight on the real criminal(s).

"Amazon users incensed at Sandusky's book 'Touched'" (Ironic title, huh?)
www.post-gazette.com...

"Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story," co-written with Kip Richael, a Penn State grad and former student equipment manager with the team, traces Mr. Sandusky's life from childhood through his coaching career, ending with his years with The Second Mile, the nonprofit he founded that works with at-risk kids.

I had no knowledge of Sandusky's book until now nor his "charity", which is has been under investigation.
philly.sbnation.com...

And this article is about Sandusky's resignation letter with regards to his charity:
www.myfoxphilly.com...
PDF of letter:
media2.myfoxphilly.com...
edit on 10-11-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join